Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue With The Electronic Throttle

Phuncz

I have a 1.33 VVTi with the 6-speed manual and between not touching the throttle or pressing it the first inch or a half, it randomly switches between slight throttle and no throttle. This is very annoying, since most driving at constant speeds off the highway this occurs. And it makes the car annoyingly decreasing and increasing slightly at random times and intervals.

Has anyone had this ? Did you get it fixed ?

Hi, I also have the 1.33 6 speed manual. But I have never experienced anything like you have described. I have had my car 4 years and dome 49,000 miles. Sorry I can't help you with your query.

Also have the 1.33 and 6 speed box but no issues here either at around 45k miles.

There was a recall many years ago that affected the iQ (moung other models) accelerator pedal but I think your car is too late to fall into that. Would be worth getting it checked out though but keep in mind it may not be a problem at the pedal end, it could be the throttle body sticking.

Craig.

The senior technician didn't have a solution for me. He checked to see if it could be the cause of the recall-solution, but mine didn't have a pedal that needed the recall. He also didn't see a problem in the throttle thingamajig at the engine.

I hear what you're saying about your throttle and, to me, it's unacceptable. I had the accelerator recall done on my 2009 Auris where they put a shim (or something) in the pedal and after I got it back it was like this also when I stopped at a junction or a roundabout it was becoming harder to make a clean getaway. I would get no response from the first movement of the accelerator so had to press it harder resulting in wheelspin and the car lurching forward. Another thing was the accelerator was harder to keep pressed down during normal cruise.

I went back to the dealers who said there was nothing wrong or nothing they could do about it but I kept on their case until they changed it for a Denso pedal which was satisfactory.

If you're not happy with this, don't let it rest - go back and complain. In writing, always always always in writing. If the car has a 5 year warranty it should be repaired FOC. Even if it's not, an accelerator pedal should last the lifetime of the vehicle so ask to see the Toyota rep about it. This will never get any better on its own and could become a real issue driving the car.

A Denso throttle, you say ? Which brand was installed in the car by default ?

My dealer is not hesitant on helping me or exchanging parts under warranty.

Since the recall only affects 2008-2009 iQs and mine is from 2011, mine is probably the Denso version already. Also because my dealer said the recall procedure to add a shim wasn't possible on mine.

I'm going to go by the dealer soon and ask if they could replace the pedal assembly.

Bear in mind that the five year/100,000 mile new car warranty is on vehicles sold by Toyota GB - other European countries retained the three year/100,000km new car warranty.

Here in Belgium, it's 5 years too. I bought it used through the dealer so I have even more warranty (1 year).