Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Door Hinge E12

spuddy10

Hi, just got a Corolla E12 and the door doesn't close quite right. I noticed the top door hinge isn't sitting flush so I can only assume it needs tightening back up. Problem is I can't get any of my spanners (and I have quite a big selection) in there to do anything. Has anyone managed this before and what did you use?

Other that that the only way I see forward is taking the front wing off which isn't ideal to say the least. Surely an easier way???

Not something I have done, but looking around think you have to opened the door fully until you can see the retaining bolt on the check strap.

Seems once thats removed then the door can be opened wider to expose those hinge bolts.

However there are the cables running from the body to the door, not sure if they need to be disconnected first as they might not stretch past the check strap maximum ?

Seems you can disconnect them from inside the door pillar or inside the door after removing the trim panel.

Also suggests you carefully put a jack under the door to hold it in postion/ take the weight, or get someone to hold it up, as it will drop as soon as a the bolts are loosened.

Detailed in the Haynes manual, a good buy.

Perfect thanks. Had a quick look and it seems the strap has broken. Also the postie brought me a Haynes this morning. :)

Well not good really. I've had to take the door off to expose the bolts but they aren't the issue. The hinge is worn on the pins top and bottom and there just seems to be what can only be described as a worn plastic bush? The only way to repair it would be to drill them out and rebush it or get new. Not sure how reasonale Toyota are though.

The strap thing is also broken so that will need to get replaced. Oh the joys of 2nd hand cars.

As mentioned never taken the rolla door hinges apart, but these diagrams from a 2004 model might help - though not sure which rolla/country its from.

Looks like the hinges are a bolt on part, so would suggest your first visit is to your local Toyota dealer , and with your reg no. they will be able to print out door parts page and show you what is available and at what price.

Some T parts are truely expensive but some T only parts, as I expect the hinges are, might not be too bad.

You could get some scrap yard ones, but bound to have some wear in them.

For reference -

Parts King aka Kingo is a T dealer who offers forum members good prices by post on more expensive items.

As I only recently found out, there is also a genuine Toyota online shop, though seems only for some parts/models at the moment.

post-95973-0-63738200-1443371383_thumb.j

post-95973-0-33140000-1443371393_thumb.j

post-95973-0-47980600-1443371403_thumb.j

Thanks for that, I need all 3 ideally. 2 hinges and the door check. Is there an online parts list anywhere?

You can look here. but think its just the common parts listed.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ToyotaOfficialStore

Expect the door hinges are a dealer only part, so you need to contact you local branch; no ones going to copy the parts if there no demand /volume.

Also expect its the whole hinge assembly only, otherwise think that diagram would show the pins etc.

Door hinges £90 the pair. Got one of the guys at work to make new bushes for the bad one. The other didn't need doing. The strap a snip at £70. Got a 2nd hand one for £20. The door is back on and shutting perfectly now. Just waiting for the strap and it's all good. Getting the wheels refurbed with new 4 season tyres tomorrow but putting new brakes on 1st. This thing is costing a fortune. :eek: