Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Unit Upgrades?

Avalon

The standard 58812 - while functional - wasn't exactly cutting edge or even well specified for what it was 10+ years ago. I've retrofitted a CK3000 mainly as it's been with me over successive car changes so was a near zero cost option making me road legal, but now I'm stuck.

What I'd like is DAB and improved media support eg USB MP3 playback with reasonable folder navigation. I don't need much more so I was hoping I could find a factory upgrade option? Surely Toyota must have offered a DAB option back in the day, or another model in the range that could be retrofitted?

If not I could add a YATOUR/XCARLink (£30-70) or similar (recommendations welcome!) which is inexpensive and easy to give USB mp3 playback via the CD changer port and then add something like the Snooper Pro Sound or Auto DAB Go (£70-100) then an aerial upgrade if required. Another option is the Pure Highway 300Di which seems to be an all in one solution for about the same money as both of the above.

Failing that it looks like a connects2 kit to preserve the steering wheel controls and choosing a decent after market double DIN HU as a fascia adapted kit doesn't stake me as looking that great, while simpler this is a more expensive option and looks less factory but gives other benefits such as media playback options. Prices start from £170ish for a basic JVC up to over 1k for an all singing all dancing version.

Anyone done a similar upgrade and if so what path did you choose and how did it work out for you?

I'm packing an OT-2 for basic data logging and code reading with full Techstream as/when required. The problem with the Chinese side of things is they only offer DAB on the versions designed for VAG group cars that I can see. I guess it'll be available as an adon module and will have a look tonight.

I did the Bluetooth/USB adapter upgrade for £52 a few weeks ago. There is a cheaper option for £35 without the bluetooth. Both work via the steering wheel controls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-USB-SD-AUX-MP3-CD-changer-adapter-Toyota-Previa-RAV4-2004-2011-/121474708553?hash=item1c4874f449

Here is what I did: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-USB-SD-AUX-MP3-CD-changer-adapter-Toyota-Previa-RAV4-2004-2011-/121474708553?hash=item1c4874f449

I got mine delivered within a couple of days, and once I got the USB/AUX extension lead to make it look stock, it was in quickly. It works nicely and like every adaptor including those from Connects2 and Xcarlink, will only show folder, track number and time played. It never bothered me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links