Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warranty Void Through Non-toyota Insurance?

SeventhLevel

Hi guys,

New here and picking up an Auris Touring Sports on Wednesday after driving a Seat Ibiza for a decade. Definitely excited!

When I was at the dealership sorting everything out, one of the sales reps told me that I should go with Toyota insurance because if I have a repair that is carried out at a third party garage or doesn't use Toyota parts my warranty won't cover that part of the car any more. I know they want me to pay the likely extortionate cost of the official insurance, but is he going a bit too far or is he telling the truth?

If there are any genuine advantages that make the Toyota insurance really worth it I'd be interested to hear them.

I haven't had a quote from them yet but I expect it to be significantly more expensive than other insurance.

Cheers!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

True to an extent as regards warranty coverage - and the same applies to any manufacturer.

If a third party carries out repairs to one's vehicle or uses non-OE parts, any warranty on the work carried out/parts replaced is the responsibility of the repairer.

Ways around this include the use of a Toyota approved bodyshop/repairer, or having the insurance work undertaken via the Toyota dealer network.

Insurers tend to use their own repairers (often referred to as approved repairers) as that keeps their costs down, but it can involve the use of third party parts, Usually Insurer approved repairers issue their own warranty on the work done, or the insurer warranties the work done. However, insurers cannot force one to use their approved repairers.

Having once had an insurer approved repairer carry out a repair on my car several years ago (a Nissan), I would never use insurer approved repairers again.

By all means get a quote from Toyota Insurance - they have to be competitive to remain in business - but bear in mind, like all insurers, they have their own target groups for who they want to they want to do business with (may exclude certain occupations, postcodes, etc).

Essentially then you believe the Toyota insurance to be worth it for preserving the warranty should there be a need for a repair? If the repair is arranged by a third party insurance company and the approved repair company doesn't use genuine Toyota parts, for instance a window button motor, does it matter since it's backed by a warranty from the insurer should there later be an issue with it?

I'm new to all this as the Ibiza was my first car and I'd just passed my test so my dad helped and made most of the decisions. Just trying to get my head around the pro's and con's and whether it's worth paying a higher premium, should there be one.

does it matter since it's backed by a warranty from the insurer should there later be an issue with it?

Good luck with that one!

You may well get a warranty of sorts from the insurer, but approved repairers can often be miles away from where you live and getting a minor thing sorted a year or two after repair............well you can see where this is going ;)

Like everything in life you pays your money and takes your chance. At least having it repaired at a Toyota dealer means it will be repaired in your home town and not at a repairer miles away

That's true. It all comes down to the usual formula of risk vs cost I suppose. I thought it was worth asking on here since I know little about the benefits of this kind of insurance and it was mentioned to me at the same time as other things that either sounded pointless or hugely overpriced. The gap insurance was almost four times more than elsewhere!

I'll see what their quote is on Wednesday and make a decision. If anyone has any further opinions I'd welcome them.

"Essentially then you believe the Toyota insurance to be worth it for preserving the warranty should there be a need for a repair? If the repair is arranged by a third party insurance company and the approved repair company doesn't use genuine Toyota parts, for instance a window button motor, does it matter since it's backed by a warranty from the insurer should there later be an issue with it?"

I haven't said that.

I have said that I wouldn't use one of the insurer approved repairers. If one of our cars needed an insurance repair, I would use either a manufacturer-approved repairer or the manufacturer's dealer network to ensure my manufacturer's new car warranty remained intact. One doesn't have to use the insurer's repairer, and from my experience I certainly wouldn't use an insurer's approved repairer in the future.

What I have said is to get a quote from Toyota Insurance to see how that compares with other quotes you have. Whether Toyota Insurance is competitive for you is dependent on a number of variables - one's occupation, postcode, driving history, whether you are within the insurer's target group for people who they wish to insure, etc.

"Essentially then you believe the Toyota insurance to be worth it for preserving the warranty should there be a need for a repair? If the repair is arranged by a third party insurance company and the approved repair company doesn't use genuine Toyota parts, for instance a window button motor, does it matter since it's backed by a warranty from the insurer should there later be an issue with it?"

I haven't said that.

I have said that I wouldn't use one of the insurer approved repairers. If one of our cars needed an insurance repair, I would use either a manufacturer-approved repairer or the manufacturer's dealer network to ensure my manufacturer's new car warranty remained intact. One doesn't have to use the insurer's repairer, and from my experience I certainly wouldn't use an insurer's approved repairer in the future.

What I have said is to get a quote from Toyota Insurance to see how that compares with other quotes you have. Whether Toyota Insurance is competitive for you is dependent on a number of variables - one's occupation, postcode, driving history, whether you are within the insurer's target group for people who they wish to insure, etc.

I haven't ever had to claim on insurance so I wasn't aware that you could choose between a repair from a manufacturer or a repair from an approved repairer. If that's the case and, for example, Admiral can't force me to use one of their approved repairers, is there any benefit you're aware of that Toyota insurance offers that Admiral doesn't?

Apologies if I'm testing your patience a little, as I mentioned I've never had these options before and don't know much about them. Appreciate the insight.

Insurers will often put obstacles in your way if you dont go down their approved repairer route. For instance, they MAY charge a higher excess. They want you at the approved repairer as it saves them money, they control the fees charged, labour rates etc. You do however have the right to go to your dealer, but there may be a cost. Some large insurers actually own the bodyshop you are sent to, hence their interest in doing the work in-house

Insurers will often put obstacles in your way if you dont go down their approved repairer route. For instance, they MAY charge a higher excess. They want you at the approved repairer as it saves them money, they control the fees charged, labour rates etc. You do however have the right to go to your dealer, but there may be a cost. Some large insurers actually own the bodyshop you are sent to, hence their interest in doing the work in-house

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I haven't any experience of Admiral, so cannot comment on how good their insurance is.

Being a member of Which? I tend to go with one of the Which? Recommended Providers or an insurer that has scored well in the latest Which? report on car insurance.

Based on a customer score (a combination of customer service, handling of customer queries and complaints, transparency of charges and value for money) and what the policy covers, the best scoring car insurers in the latest Which? report are:

NFU Mutual (Which? Recommended Provider(WRP)) - score 82%

John Lewis (WRP) - 76%

LV (WRP) - 76%

Nationwide - 76%

Saga (WRP) - 76%

Toyota Insurance - 75%

The AA - 71%

RIAS - 71%

Age UK - 70%

Chaucer Direct - 70%

Admiral came a fair bit down the table at 62%.

Our last insurance repair was in 2008 when our Mazda 2 was hit by a drug dealer being chased by the police - £2000 of damage to our car, and it was recorded as an uninsured loss. We chose the repairer (a Mazda dealer's bodyshop). Our insurer LV didn't quibble with this, didn't charge any extra, and didn't increase our subsequent premiums despite it being an uninsured loss (presumably LV would have claimed against the Motor Insurance Bureau's Uninsured Loss scheme).

I haven't any experience of Admiral, so cannot comment on how good their insurance is.

Being a member of Which? I tend to go with one of the Which? Recommended Providers or an insurer that has scored well in the latest Which? report on car insurance.

Based on a customer score (a combination of customer service, handling of customer queries and complaints, transparency of charges and value for money) and what the policy covers, the best scoring car insurers in the latest Which? report are:

NFU Mutual (Which? Recommended Provider(WRP)) - score 82%

John Lewis (WRP) - 76%

LV (WRP) - 76%

Nationwide - 76%

Saga (WRP) - 76%

Toyota Insurance - 75%

The AA - 71%

RIAS - 71%

Age UK - 70%

Chaucer Direct - 70%

Admiral came a fair bit down the table at 62%.

Our last insurance repair was in 2008 when our Mazda 2 was hit by a drug dealer being chased by the police - £2000 of damage to our car, and it was recorded as an uninsured loss. We chose the repairer (a Mazda dealer's bodyshop). Our insurer LV didn't quibble with this, didn't charge any extra, and didn't increase our subsequent premiums despite it being an uninsured loss (presumably LV would have claimed against the Motor Insurance Bureau's Uninsured Loss scheme).

That's helpful, cheers. Admiral's customer service is great, but I'm sure they all are until you claim and then their real value is apparent!

Adding my 2 pence into the pot...

A good few years ago my BMW was insured by Swift.com

One day car parked outside house was bashed from bumper-to-bumper on one side :angry2:

No one saw, and one neighbour heard a big BANG the night before...

So, its a claim on my insurance (as no one to pursue)

And I would have to pay for the excess too :(

Me: Where would my car be repaired?

Insurer: Ford dealership

Me: (Thinking that's not bad a dealership, and not some backstreet garage), I prefer BMW to repair my car?

Insurer: The nearest BMW approved repairer is in Selby?

Me: What? That's miles away (43miles and 1 hour drive)

Me: Let me think about it...how much is your hourly rate for the approved repairer anyway?

Insurer: <I can't remember the exact amount, but it WAS cheap!>

My car had an extended BMW warranty and I just prefer it to be repaired by BMW as they will know the car better and the warranty will be easier to cover....I so happens to be in contact with BMW about an unrelated subject, but mentioned that my car was damaged would it be worthwhile to get BMW to repair as BMW would be expensive?

BMW dealer said, yeah I patch u thru to the bodyshop!

Spoke to bodyshop, and they said give us your insurer details and we will get in contact with them.

Me: But their hourly rate is <so-so>

BMW: Don't worry, we shall see:)

Guess what

Next day, BMW told me to bring my car in for repair..... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::thumbsup:

I am insured with Admiral. I had one year's free insurance on the aygo with toyota but found they weren't that competitive so went with admiral. I had the Jazz insured with them before and when it got written off by some ****** who thought red lights were for galloping through, they dealt with the claim very swiftly and had an automatic similar sized car (happened to be a VW polo with the best DSG gearbox) out the same day so I could get back to driving asap. I was injured by whiplash but I got back to work quickly, and I got a good price for the Jazz of 3900 which for an 06 plate car in 2012 with its high mileage I figured was pretty good.

The legal team were good as well and my injuries were assessed with solicitors who got me £2000 back.