Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Noise And Coolant

northernmonkeyz

Hi all.

I purchased a 2003 7gen a few weeks back and all is good, however last night whilst I was stuck in slow moving traffic I noticed that the exhaust was starting to sound odd.

I hadn’t noticed this before but it’s sort of a deep rumbling sound and its only when I start to rev/pull away.

I listened at the back to the exhaust and it seems to be at the tail end.

Another thing I noticed is that my engine coolant level is below the minimum line.

Could this be linked?

To top up the coolant do I just buy some and fill up to the line?

Are there any checks I can do to see why the exhaust is sounding like that?

There is one check I would suggest.

That is to acknowledge replies to your questions, that others have gone to the trouble of answering.

Apologies Scarlett.

I thought I had responded to all replies to my threads.

I will check over them.

I do appreciate the time taken to help and I didn't intend to seem ungrateful. I have a tendency to drunk post!

Good man, Alan.

To check the exhaust, you really need access to a hydraulic lift, the rear section of the system is almost always the first to fail due to corrosion.

The low coolant level won't be linked to your exhaust, just wait until the engine is cold, and top up to the MAX level with coolant. I would strongly advise you use Toyota LongLife. If you don't know when it was last replaced, you have a good excuse to do just that, in time for the cold weather. Keep a close eye on the level in the expansion tank, as the radiator on the Gen 7 has a tendency to seep coolant from the bottom corner when it gets past 10 years old. This can be difficult to spot, with coolant dripping onto the under engine plastics.

HTH.

Good man, Alan.

To check the exhaust, you really need access to a hydraulic lift, the rear section of the system is almost always the first to fail due to corrosion.

The low coolant level won't be linked to your exhaust, just wait until the engine is cold, and top up to the MAX level with coolant. I would strongly advise you use Toyota LongLife. If you don't know when it was last replaced, you have a good excuse to do just that, in time for the cold weather. Keep a close eye on the level in the expansion tank, as the radiator on the Gen 7 has a tendency to seep coolant from the bottom corner when it gets past 10 years old. This can be difficult to spot, with coolant dripping onto the under engine plastics.

HTH.

Hey Scarlett thanks for posting.

Looking again at the coolant level its not as low as I though but it is lower than the min so will get to it this weekend.

I noticed it is blue and not pink so I probably could do with draining and changing to the proper stuff.

Also will look at the rad when I get home for a leak.

I had a mate listen to the exhaust and he thought it was fine but its diferrent sounding to when I bought it a few weekends ago.

I recorded the sound so may post on youtube of something to save taking it to a garage.

Many thanks,

Al

OK, Al. Try and get that blue coolant changed as soon as you can. I use LongLife "Red", while others prefer LongLife "Pink". You'll probably need 5/6 litres to completely refill. The only tricky bit is bleeding the system of air, the Gen 7 can be a PITA to do, with a label on the underside of the bonnet explaining the procedure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links