Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Maintenance After 100k

mecheng46

I am in a dilemma for my 2003 Yaris D4D maintenance schedule/intervals.

It has just over 100k miles with a full service history from the main Toyota Dealer. From the service book I can see that the cas has been serviced every 9000 miles.

I just bought the car and this is my first personal car that I have to take care of so I am a bit lost which route to follow.

There are three routes for the car maintenance:

1. Toyota main dealer - Good quality of materials, excellent service, expensive

2. Private garage - Acceptable quality of materials, good service, average price

3. Do it my self

To be honest I somehow decided to go with option 3 (unless you can advice me otherwise) to do it my self because the car has more than 100k miles which is not worth keeping a FSH book for a possible re-sale. Car is not even worth more than a grand so the aim is not to re-sell it at somepoint but to last as much as possible in my hands before going for scrap, hopefully few years (3-4?). So spending all them Main Dears costs does not make sense. I am going to use the car on a daily basis to commute to work (motorway mileage) so I am looking around 10k - 15k per year if it lasts.

Needless to mention that I am quite experienced when it comes to engines etc so there is no doubt that I can do what's required my self.

My concerns are as follows:

1. Where can I get a full service schedule from now and on (engine oil in so many thousands, transmission oil in so many, diesel filter etc)?

2. What does it needs attention (is it just oils and filters, EGR cleaning?, glow plugs etc)?

3. Where can I buy quality materials in bulk (Oil, filters etc)?

4. What oil grades do I need for engine and transmission?

5. What am I missing?

It will be much appreciated if you could please advice me on the above.

Thanks

Mike

I'm on my third diesel Yaris. First two did approx. 217,000 and 130,000 miles before I traded them in. They did not go for scrap.

The key to longevity is proper servicing at the correct intervals. If the car you have just acquired has been serviced every 9000 miles / every year then there is every chance that there is plenty of life left in the car. I'd take it to a competent garage every 10,000 miles or every 12 months whatever is sooner. I went to the main dealer but if you have a reputable local garage then use them.

It is false economy to not bother about proper servicing just because a vehicle has done over 100,000 miles IMO

I'm on my third diesel Yaris. First two did approx. 217,000 and 130,000 miles before I traded them in. They did not go for scrap.

The key to longevity is proper servicing at the correct intervals. If the car you have just acquired has been serviced every 9000 miles / every year then there is every chance that there is plenty of life left in the car. I'd take it to a competent garage every 10,000 miles or every 12 months whatever is sooner. I went to the main dealer but if you have a reputable local garage then use them.

It is false economy to not bother about proper servicing just because a vehicle has done over 100,000 miles IMO

Thanks for your advice Kim,

I think you misunderstood my post. My question was not about proper and improper servicing. The question is about what do I need to know, to properly service this car my self.

I can properly service this car my self and it I will not exaggerate if I would say that I can service it to a higher quality than the main dealer. Being in the engineering industry for the last 10 years I believe that I am more than capable changing filters, gaskets and fluids on a car.

So the question is about advice from people who they are doing their own service or they are aware of the main dealer service schedule and list of things that main dealer goes through so that I can stick to it as the mileage goes up...

Are you just changing fluids every 10k miles? When do I change the filters? When do I clean the EGR? When do I change the glow plugs? When do I refurbish the injectors?

These are some questions I am looking to get some answers. I understand some of them parts they don't need even looking during the car lifespan so this is a general post to show what sort of information I am looking to get.

Thanks

I run avensis's

Do you have your Yaris user manual most of your questions will be covered in there. what spec oil & quantity and service schedules.

if you can use genuine filters and oil just go into Toyota parts dep or look for Parts king on here.

2nd choice is good quality filters like blueprint or mann most motor factors will be able to get these.. I avoid cheap ones

I have never changed glow plugs and wont until they stop working. car is on 170+ and injectors wouldn't replace until broke as costly and are coded.

injector cleaner wouldnt harm it maybe use it when changing fuel filter or every 20,000.

I change oil and oil filter every 9/10,000 miles.5w 30 toyotas genuine oil.

air filter every 2nd service or if really black it gets changed every 10.000.

fuel filter every 2nd but in my book it says every 40,000.

pollen every 2nd service.

hopefully this helps.

egr only when it gets blocked I suppose wouldn't harm cleaning it every 20,000.

Gearbox oil- I changed mine when changed the clutch, 140,000- your gearbox may have a service schedule.

I find bp/shell fuel keeps carbon down in egr & inlet compared to supermarket diesels.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links