Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Mk2 Diesel Avensis For Sale Are High Mileage. Friend Looking For

Konrad C

My friend who happens to be a member of this forum, is looking to buy another Avensis to replace his Mk1 VVTI.

The target cars are 2007-2008 Mk2 Avensis 5 door, above T2 spec ( T3s, T3x, TR, T4 and T Spirit). The car will be doing occasional long journeys in to Europe, so the longer gearing and economy may be helpful. His budget is £3000.

He knows about the AD head gasket issue and is looking for the 2 litre version. He will be avoiding the AD2 2.2 diesel engines due to the head gasket issues, unless someone on this forum can say how big a risk to get one. I looked at what was available up to 80 miles from our area and there are cars within his budget, but most of the cars have high mileage in excess of 100,000 miles or even 140,000 miles. Yes I know that is nothing for diesels.

So I suggested he looks at the 1.8 petrols, which seem have lower mileage. He will loose the 6th gear, extra torque and economy of the diesel, though the petrol does not lose too much.

The VVTI engine has been sorted by 2006, so there should be no problems.

I suggested Honda but he prefers Toyota and stated that this forum has been helpful. I can agree because when I look at the Honda Civic forum, there seems to be more on mods and styling like the Vauxhall and Ford forums. In a way that is good because there are less problems with reliability. I was looking to get a Honda Civic, then I saw my Tourer which I snapped up.

Are there any cars out there in the Surrey/South London and surrounding areas.

• Like 1

Cruise control would come in handy with the long trips but I don't think the 1.8 came with CC.

1.8 did not come in t-spirit trim. only 2.0 2.4 vvti 2.0 2.2 d4d did, highest spec 1.8 was TR.

If your looking for a 07/08 2.0 diesel with sensible miles you need to up the budget to 3500-4000 depending on spec.

don't be afraid to extend the distance that you are willing to travel last trip I did for a car was 125 each way and it was well worth it. one of my tips never go to see a car when its dark outside.

Hope you the best in the car search, when looking for cars I search on eBay gumtree autotrader more than once a day, the cheap ones get snapped up as there is car dealers looking to buy cars all the time to resell.

don't be afraid to look and test drive local ones-even if they are out of budget- it may make Waqar's mind up if he prefers diesel to petrol or vice versa.

• Like 1

Cruise control would come in handy with the long trips but I don't think the 1.8 came with CC.

1.8 did not come in t-spirit trim. only 2.0 2.4 vvti 2.0 2.2 d4d did, highest spec 1.8 was TR.

If your looking for a 07/08 2.0 diesel with sensible miles you need to up the budget to 3500-4000 depending on spec.

don't be afraid to extend the distance that you are willing to travel last trip I did for a car was 125 each way and it was well worth it. one of my tips never go to see a car when its dark outside.

Hope you the best in the car search, when looking for cars I search on ebay gumtree autotrader more than once a day, the cheap ones get snapped up as there is car dealers looking to buy cars all the time to resell.

don't be afraid to look and test drive local ones-even if they are out of budget- it may make Waqar's mind up if he prefers diesel to petrol or vice versa.

That is good advice I. You answered a lot of questions and Waqar was already on the diesel trail.

Hopefully Waqar will find the right car for the budget. The only cars that seem worthwhile to look at are Japanese or German!

Happy hunting.