Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 2006 Xtr

exmedman

MY Rav 4 xtr diesel 2006, is very ocassionally losing power, I only notice it when trying to accelerate. Up to date it has always quickly recovered and never caused me a problem --- however it has the potential to. Anyone else had this prob? Can I do anything? or is it a case for Dr Toyota ? This is the first problem I have had with the car since new. It has done about 35,000. If this has been covered before please direct me to any answers. Thank you.

Having had a 55-reg Granite D4D and a 12-reg DCAT auto, I never experienced any issues at all, let alone the one you refer to. However, it has been said on here and other forums that a good start to resolving the problem is to renew the fuel filter as it can cause problems, especially where it's not been changed regularly. And always use a Toyota OEM filter just to be on the safe side.

Thank you firermac, I see that others are having similar problems to mine. This morning for the first time it had no power from start up! It cleared after about 100yards and was then okay. My car has been serviced by Dr T since new,so it should have had all necessary work done, I am too old now to do any engine work, so it will have to be a visit to the surgery I'm afraid. Can anyone tell me if this model has a turbo? I'm ashamed to say I do not know :wacko:

I'd say that yours is a D4D and does have a turbo. Just because Mr.T has serviced the car, it doesn't follow that the fuel filter will have been changed as it is not, as far as I'm aware, a routine service item; you have to specifically ask for it to be renewed.

EDIT: I've had a look at my service book and it does mention. under "Other Inspections" or such, that the diesel fuel filter should be inspected at 60K miles or 6 years. It isn't on the routine service schedule however so, unless thedealer is switched on, it may easily be overlooked.

As long as you buy an OEM Toyota filter, any competent indie garage could fit it, which will probably be cheaper than a franchised dealer. On that note it does matter how your Toyota dealer handles older cars. Ours, for example, gives discounted rates for services and repairs for 4.1s and 4.2s, to keep the owners in the Toyota system, I guess. You should ask locally.

firemac, thank you for that info. Whilst taking a short drive yesterday my engine light came on, On the way to have the car scanned for faults the light went out, and the mechanic told me to save my money, because their was now no fault condition. I don't know why I did this, but before leaving the garage I looked at my fuel filler cap! it was not screwed up tight and was also dirty. I cleaned it up and screwed it on tightly. I have done quite a few miles since then and not had any more probs---no red lights---no limp mode---and as a bonus the cars performed is markable improved. It's accellerating like a sports car :rolleyes:

Of course this may just be coincidence. But I would advise anybody with similar problems to check their fuel caps as a starter.

Watch this space :thumbsup:

Good for you! Hope that's the end of your troubles. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

This info might just save you a few pounds.

If you are having trouble with loss of power, going into limp mode, or engine light coming on...

1 check fuel filler cap is clean and tight.

2. put a bottle of Archoil diesel cleaner in with your fuel.

If you have a sticking electric window---don't panic, just squirt round all the window seal with Silicon spray.

The above worked for me, my XTR is running better than ever, all problems gone for £20.