Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Fuel Do You Use?

chi tang

One issue with V-Power is that it is a semi-synthetic fuel and, for whatever reason, the synthetic part has a lower energy content than normal dino juice. Biodiesel has a similar issue, and the only reason the mpg isn't a lot worse for both (As opposed to only slightly worse) is that they both burn more completely than dino juice. Bioethanol is by far the worst; It doesn't burn very well and it has a much lower energy content which is why only cars specially designed to run on it can run on 100% bioethanol and get crap mpg, whereas pure biodiesel will work in almost any diesel engine (Although you'll need to change the fuel filter soon after as it also acts as a very powerful cleaning agent :lol:!)

re. the V-Power, if you're only in it for the cleaning agents, you can probably get away with just using the FuelSave fuel as they (Supposedly) have a similar package of cleaning agents. I don't think it has quite as much as V-Power tho' (Which is the other reason it has lower mpg; Less fuel, more cleaning agents!).

The V-Power does feel nicer for my engine (It's noticeably smoother sounding, and in a diesel lump you do notice that :lol:) but damn is it expensive! (Currently 12p/L above my Sainsburys regular! :crybaby:)

Cheers Cyker! :)

Good info there!

I did think about pouring in some REDEX or TechWorks - but I think I stick with v-power :)

Fuel filter - hmmmmm

Does Toyota recommend when to replace?

For a petrol? I think for most Toyota petrols, the fuel filter is for the life of the engine. You should never have to replace the fuel filter unless some really bad fuel has gone in or something. This is good because it's a PITA to replace as the filter is in the tank on most Toyota petrols!

• Like 1

This and the Supermarket thread are interesting.

Driving carefully I managed to squeeze 67 MPG on a run the other day (computer reported, 32 mile run), but the last couple of times I went out the MPG is "significantly" lower. With that said, it was quite a bit cooler the last couple of times, which apparently adversely affects economy? I have the aircon set to 17 C, and taken to switching it off in the day to take advantage of the (real) greenhouse effect to get the cabin warm (it's only me so no problems there :D ). OAT was around 12 C or so, whereas on the 67 MPG run it was 18 C.

I'm getting low 50s on a 12 mile run, which is in spite of driving carefully.

I still can't decide if accelerating with the pedal around top of the eco band/bottom of the power band is better or worse than going into the low end of the power band and getting up to speed faster? I'm definitely accelerating slower than I ever used to, but I'm still wondering if it is too slow. I've taken to gentle acceleration to 10-20 MPH then harder acceleration to higher speeds. I think that is working as overcoming the initial rest is a problem, so using pure electric to get it rolling seems a good strategy.

I have done one journey where I went nuts and didn't try to get good gas milage at all, and still managed a computer reported 52 MPG when I finished, so in that respect it is a vast improvement on my last ride! :D

Driving carefully I managed to squeeze 67 MPG on a run the other day (computer reported, 32 mile run), but the last couple of times I went out the MPG is "significantly" lower. With that said, it was quite a bit cooler the last couple of times, which apparently adversely affects economy? I have the aircon set to 17 C, and taken to switching it off in the day to take advantage of the (real) greenhouse effect to get the cabin warm (it's only me so no problems there :D ). OAT was around 12 C or so, whereas on the 67 MPG run it was 18 C.

I still can't decide if accelerating with the pedal around top of the eco band/bottom of the power band is better or worse than going into the low end of the power band and getting up to speed faster? I'm definitely accelerating slower than I ever used to, but I'm still wondering if it is too slow. I've taken to gentle acceleration to 10-20 MPH then harder acceleration to higher speeds. I think that is working as overcoming the initial rest is a problem, so using pure electric to get it rolling seems a good strategy.

I have done one journey where I went nuts and didn't try to get good gas milage at all, and still managed a computer reported 52 MPG when I finished, so in that respect it is a vast improvement on my last ride! :D

Good to have u onboard buddy!

I always try to get to the TOP of the ECO band in my last test - and still managed to squeeze 52mpg out - but having said that I am on all-weather tyres and ocassionally have the air-con on (temp been low 7degrees to 15degrees)

My current test is to accelerate briskly most times and have the needle in the POWER bands and then off the gas pedal letting the needle drop to the ECO band and for the motor itself to reach the maximum speed allowed for that road...

I have noticed 2 obvious signs for my car:

1. Averaged mpg have dropped from the low 50s, to the high 30s :fear::eek: (but fuel tank not empty yet....)

2. And getting up to speed on the bypass is a horredous long straining time for the eingine as the needed stays in the 3/4 band of the POWER band - but not tempted to put foot all the way down yet.....

How many miles does it have? Is it still in the run-in period?

For about the first 500 miles I took my car on long journeys through the countryside, as the speeds are generally low, and there is a lot of deceleration/acceleration. Not the best for fuel economy, but helps get everything working without the temptation to go crazy. Also great for just the sheer driving pleasure!

You've seen the other thread I guess? http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169868-how-to-drive-hybrid-cars-rules-of-thumb-guide/

Some interesting information there! I'm about to fill up again, so I'll see what effect allowing the car to run the initial warm-up period whilst stationary has on MPG. I see around 30-35 MPG during the first few miles but gradually the MPG rises to 50+ by the time I get to where I'm going. If I can reduce the fuel usage in the first few minutes, that might go quite a long way to making 60+ a realistic prospect for many journeys (as you have read, I have already started to see 60+ on some journeys, but it still seems elusive as to what I'm doing differently).

Yup :)

Seen that thread - I was the 1st to reply! Lol

My car done 43k

I the 2nd owner

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links