Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Overheating - Losing Faith

mikeyjr

Recently had my 2005 Celica Serviced and Mot'D.. about 2 weeks ago.

Driving to work today My temperature gauge hit the maximum level so I pulled over and checked the engine.. the coolant lavel was very low.

I figured that maybe the garage had forgot to top up the coolant so I took it back to them.

They took it in and topped it up (looked like water they topped it up with).

I drove away for about 2 miles and the electronic temperature gauge kept fluctuating from max to middle every 2-3 minutes.

I got to work and popped the hood.. the coolant level looks fine.

Can anyone help with advice?

This is my 3rd celica and it's costing me a fortune... I just had the cat converter done and alternator so I'm broke.

Mileage is 110k so I know it's no spring chicken but I'm starting to doubt if Toyota's really are as reliable as they are known for.

I have serviced every year without fail but it's one thing after another.

Someone please restore my faith :)

Assuming it's not electrical (above) I'd get the cooling system flushed out. It's amazing what grot comes out of a 10 year old cooling system.

BTW have you had the thermostat checked?

Thanks for the suggestions... I have an update

on my lunch break ..I just popped the hood and all of the water and coolant has gone.

That means a leak right?

If you can't see the fluid on the floor OMG check your oil + filler cap for mayo

Which Gen and spec is it bud???

Yeah - check oil cap if no obvious leak!

Is it overheating and just dribbles into the engine bay (but not enough onto the road) - that happened to one of my cars...

The coolant would leak out of the overflow outlet (of the coolant bottle) and onto the engine - but not enough to dribble everywhere......if u top it up with the right COLOURED coolant - then it may be more obvious to track the leak (IF its not leaked into the engine... :fear::eek: )

Sounds very much like a typical Celica rad failure...very common.

The coolant leaks on to the undertrays and isn't always easy/obvious to see...it will most likely have failed at bottom corner.

New rad isn't expensive (£30/40 tops)...just a pain to bleed and get rid of the air locks ...follow the instructions on the label on the underside of the bonnet and you'll be fine.

Just make sure you use the pink long life coolant.

Neil

Thank you gentlemen.

I've checked again.. There isn't any obvious signs of leaks from the coolant or the oil.

The coolant/water has just disappeared and I can't identify where it's gone.

I think Neil maybe correct.. I certainly hope so as I can't afford anything expensive.

It is a VVTI BLACK CELICA 2005, RED LEATHER EDITION.

Thank you gentlemen.

I've checked again.. There isn't any obvious signs of leaks from the coolant or the oil.

The coolant/water has just disappeared and I can't identify where it's gone.

I think Neil maybe correct.. I certainly hope so as I can't afford anything expensive.

It is a VVTI BLACK CELICA 2005, RED LEATHER EDITION.

Gen7 then

Yeah - get it on a ramp and take a good look at underside (tray if u can)!

Just make sure it is the radiator before splashing out on one , taking undertray apart and find it isn't that.....

Get those undertrays off and have a look.!...it's highly likely it's a rad failure..that's by far the most common cause....and make sure the water pump isn't leaking/weeping too.

110k miles is nowt for these engines.!!...and all cars need ongoing maintenance/repair as they age so you haven't really suffered anything out of the ordinary...irritating and unwelcome as it is of course.

Neil

UPDATE -

So the mechanics have said that it was a radiator issue and needs replacing as it was the original.

Apparently £185 all in... is that fair?

Thanks again for the advice

UPDATE -

So the mechanics have said that it was a radiator issue and needs replacing as it was the original.

Apparently £185 all in... is that fair?

Thanks again for the advice

Glad the problem is found! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a lot to me - but that's just me guessing!

Depends what kind of radiator make and how long for labour - but am sure Neil (RUToyota) will know better! :)

As suspected.....at least you know.!!

If you are happy @ £185 then that's all that matters...it's not particularly cheap.

Depends what the rad cost was + the labour content.?...I would have got it done cheaper tbh.

BUT...it does give you peace of mind and it's a job you won't have to do again for a few years,!! :D

Neil

• Like 1

Hi, I joined this forum looking for a solution to this problem. After much time and effort (and dollars!), mine is sorted.

After having the head machined, replacing the cooling system (pipes, pumps, radiator, thermostat - I have removed my thermostat completely now) and checking the electrics for the fan, it turns out that whilst the fan was coming on...it was only partially. Basically, the actual fan (<$100) needed replacing. Finding one was a pain in the a$$, but now the car does not overheat.

Hope this is useful.

Mine is overheating too the same as you described. It always seems empty in the expansion tank and then when I top up it comes out of the overflow pipe near the cap. I'm changing the thermostat later as I get no heat from heaters either and hope that's the cause of the coolant loss. I ran the engine with the bleeder off and got alot of steam after a few mins and it smelt weird but I don't know what hot coolant is supposed to smell of lol.

Please post if you find the cause it may help me identify mine!

Yep mine done the same. Temp is fluctuating from stopped to moving.

Check in the grill the rad should look wet, it prob wont be dripping.Just a hole small enough to suck in air and stop the flow of the coolant. You'd notice that the blowers will only blow cold. If the blowers are hot, it's prob not the rad.

Bought new rad for £40, simple enough to remove and do. Within an hour or two all sorted.

Followed this guys video on YouTube which helped a lot. No need to remove the bumper.