Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diagnostic Tools Which Include Srs And Abs, And Change Options.

Konrad C

Now I have my newer Mk3 Avensis, I would like to have a diagnostic device that can deal with most of the functions, like the ABS and SRS, plus parking brake. The steering is another function that is also monitored by the ECU.

The other thing is that some of the customizable settings are dealer options, that the diagnostics could access. Things like door auto locking time.

Toyota TIS is the best, but there are others I have seen. Also I would like one that can do pre OBD2 cars like my Mk1.

If I get OBD2 only then, it should work work other cars.

I have a cheap OBD2 reader and it works with OBD2 car except my brothers 2008 Renault Grand Scenic with Nissan 2ltr diesel engine, it did not work! It worked on a similar Grand Scenic with a 1.5 Diesel engine and correctly read a misfire.

Other brands noted are Launch, Innova, iCarsoft, Elm, Clarke and a few others which look similar but have different names.

My mate say stay away from the Chinese stuff. Price up to £100, cheaper the better

Any recommendations please.

I am following this post as I am also interested in a reader that will do ABS & SRS.

I have done more research on the diagnostic scanners and noticed there are two groups, universal and brand specific.

The brand specific would be the better one, if I don't mind paying out for a Toyota only scanner/reader. One model has got me interested is iCarsoft i905 which covers Toyota's from 1996 up to 2013 and supposed to have free upgrades. This scanner also covers the ABS/TRC/VSC, SRS and some other features. The cost on eBay from a few UK sellers is just under £100.

Next is the Toyota/Lexus Techstream TIS diagnostic CD and mini VCI J2534 cable. Cost average is £20. There are a few issues. Some claim the software will work with 64 bit as well as 32 bit Windows, and also claim to work with Windows Vista/7/8 as well as the now defunct Windows XP! The problem is that the cable and software all look the same. It is a case of trusting the seller.

On the universal front is the Launch Creader CRP123/CRP129. This is more expensive but supposed cover a wide range of cars and functions like ABS and SRS.

Then the ELM327. Cheap, but is it up to the job?

I will decide later, and as I said before, will buy from UK based supplier.

Good research there, my friend has a crp129 and it works on my 2004 Toyota and it picked up the srs fault.

• Like 1

Toyota techs team is a good bit of kit but takes a lot of time to understand and go thru it.also delphi/cdp 1 is good and covers many cars and trucks.

• Like 1

I have techstream installed on a surface pro 3 running windows 10 64 bit. Works like a charm.

I have techstream installed on a surface pro 3 running windows 10 64 bit. Works like a charm.

do you have a link where you got it from?

do you have a link where you got it from?

Came with a mini vci cable from eBay.

• Like 1

Got the mini VCI cable and Techstream software today. Also ordered the Launch CRP129 scanner reader to cover other makes of cars. Will see how it works.

Just completed a successful test of the TechStream software and mini VCI USB cable plugged into an Asus 2 in 1 windows 8.1 tablet/PC.

First time i tried it last night, I forgot to install the mini VCI drivers. There was no connection even though the LED was on. Drivers done and it all works.

First of all, Avensis is not listed so i used Avalon. The engine was recognised, and some of the features like the SRS and VSC were picked up.

The light sensitivity, key warning can be adjusted, and the seatbelt warning can turned off.

I will see if there is an update to feature my car properly. Since there is nothing wrong with the car, no codes are showing.

A lot to learn and I am pleased.

Now have the Launch Creader VIII (CRP129) and went through the update process. The updates are free, which is good for future proofing.

Now that both systems have been updated, I will learn how to use them and compare.

Just completed a successful test of the TechStream software and mini VCI USB cable plugged into an Asus 2 in 1 windows 8.1 tablet/PC.

First time i tried it last night, I forgot to install the mini VCI drivers. There was no connection even though the LED was on. Drivers done and it all works.

First of all, Avensis is not listed so i used Avalon. The engine was recognised, and some of the features like the SRS and VSC were picked up.

The light sensitivity, key warning can be adjusted, and the seatbelt warning can turned off.

I will see if there is an update to feature my car properly. Since there is nothing wrong with the car, no codes are showing.

Make sure you are using the Europe version of Techstream and not the USA version - I think you can choose the version you want to use in the setup options (it should also have the Japanese version on it). I Made a similar mistake myself and thats how I fixed it, it picked up my T25 and T27 Avensis straight away.

• Like 1

Make sure you are using the Europe version of Techstream and not the USA version - I think you can choose the version you want to use in the setup options (it should also have the Japanese version on it). I Made a similar mistake myself and thats how I fixed it, it picked up my T25 and T27 Avensis straight away.

Yes I found out that and did the download. Any registration needed before using?

I did more searching and found out I am restrict to so many uses of the TechStream. I found a universal activation code, but used it yet. Also I have to set the user type so.

The Launch CRP129 found a fault code and I erased it. That was when I triggered the VSC+ at start-up, when dropping off the pavement.

Back to the TechStream, how are others getting on with it?

Luckily never had to use it for anything other than playing. Was slightly disappointed at the limited customisation with the T25 though, If I remember correctly all I could do is change the sensitivity of the automatic headlights. A mate of mine has a similar thing for his VW and the list of stuff that can customise is endless.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links