Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

White Smoke & Rough Running D4d 2.2 2006 (2ad-ftv)

Tedsa

Just in case it is of use to anyone else.

My 130K Mile 2006 RAV4 D4D suddenly started running very roughly and producing white smoke at idle and acceleration.

Fearing a large bill for replacement injectors I took the valve cover off to find one of the injector clamps had become loose.

• Removed the injector; a bit of wiggling required due to the carbon build up.
  • Cleaned all the carbon from the injector and inside the locating hole in the cylinder head.
  • Replaced the rubber O Ring in the top groove of the injector; old one had been destroyed.
  • Replaced the old seal at the bottom of the hole; bit of fishing required to remove the old one.
  • Refitted injector and torqued down; also checked the torque on the other clamps and some were not as tight as they should be !

Running well now, all roughness and smoke gone.

N.B. Toyota have changed the seals from Copper to Alloy; as all the eBay sites appear to sell copper I used original Toyota parts, cost about £20.

Hi,

I'm just about to start to look at my injectors on my 2002 Rav 4 so was it a fairly simple job as not sure how much needs to be removed to get to them?

My Rav 4 suffered from blocked oil strainer so cleaned it up but now want to check the valve seals are ok and are not copper to prevent future problems.

Hi Chris,

Not sure how similar the arrangement is on the 2002 Rav.

But on the 2006 D4d it wasn't too bad a job, took about 2 hours and not too many things to remove.

Biggest challenge was removing the black plastic casing that holds the starter motor wire (plus some others) on the drivers end of the valve cover.. removed all the various clips and fastening on the cables and with much wiggling managed to remove it.

I tried to take my sump off today to check the oil pick up gauze... but before I broke the seal on the sump noticed that one of the two locating studs (all other fixings are bolts) is in a totally stupid position that would stop the sump being removed :wacko: (why they couldn't have put the stud on any of the other 20 odd position I don't know).... so have postponed for another day.

Good Luck !

Hi,

Thanks for that and i'm looking forward to this challenge! I'm going to attempt to clean the injectors by running carb cleaner through them one by one so just need to confirm the injector voltage before wiring up. Seen a few you tubes on the subject so doesn't look too difficult.

I'll need to call up a Toyota dealer and see if I can order on the phone and get the seals delivered. Think i'll also get a set of the rubber O rings while I'm at it.

Shame you couldn't get your sump off as I was a little worried getting mine off as never done one before. I too had locator bolts which were all fine. I did spray some penetration oil over them a few days before taking them off. The other thing I did was not to run the engine before draining the oil. I thought if I did that that I would either have to wait a long time for all the oil to drain from the top of the engine or take the sump off and risk oil dribbling all around the sides of the sump.

I've gone through all my Toyota history and see a turbo being replaced several years ago so it does make you wonder if the seal problem has been happening for a while. Be interesting to see what state the injectors are in (-;

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links