Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Don't Use Handbrake: When Park Outside In Freezing Winter?

Wayne2015

I know most people say if u not using a car for months (say a classic car SORN 6months of the year) then don't use the handbrake in case it seizes up...

But if daily car park outside in sub-zero conditions (like a couple of past snowy winters) - should I use my handbrake (My Auris Hybrid)???

The user manual says...

IMG_20151018_201501_zps6becchob.jpg

I second that Wayne, what the handbook's telling you. It used to be a problem with automatics which had a pawl that locked the transmission when you put it into Park and if you didn't apply the handbrake when you were on a slope the car would roll backwards or forwards and it could put terricifc pressure on the pawl. So when you next started the car and selected Drive sometimes it would release with an almighty bang. I don't know exactly how the transmission works on the Hybrid but Toyota must have gone into all that and deemed it safe to leave the handbrake off although they do advise you to chock the wheels (if necessary).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links