Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Recall - Window Switch

FROSTYBALLS

Said to affect 1.2 million vehicles in Europe including some Yaris, Corolla, Rav4 and other models built between 2005-2010.

The recall isn't listed on the DVSA website or Toyota's recall checker as yet.

See. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34589891

Said to affect 1.2 million vehicles in Europe including some Yaris, Corolla, Rav4 and other models built between 2005-2010.

The recall isn't listed on the DVSA website or Toyota's recall checker as yet.

See. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34589891

Interesting to know why all these recalls suddenly in recent years?

Still a lot less than other manufactures - but still, recalls were never heard of in the past past....

Think previously vehicle recalls weren't well publicised. Since before 2010 over 1 million vehicles annually have been subject to the recall process in the UK.

Back in 2004, my 2003 Mazda 323 was recalled due to the possibility of a valve in the manifold working loose. Remedial work was listed at four hours. At the time the only mention I saw in the media was one small paragraph in Autocar.

• Like 1

So

Toyota NOT as reliable as we think???? Eeeek!

Recalls aren't a measure of reliability.

Since the accelerator pedals recalls of 2009/10 Toyota have been more proactive in using the recall system than quite a few other manufacturers.

For example the Mazda 323 I had, aside from the one recall, had no warranty repairs and only routine servicing in the 3 years I owned it. My 2009 Auris was involved in the accelerator pedal recall (approx 30 minutes remedial work), and the only repair was to a broken passenger side cup holder (covered under warranty).

Whereas our 2007 Mazda 2 which wasn't involved in any recalls, had to have the coil pack replaced when it was 8 months old, the HT lead at 10 months old, and the front passenger window winding mechanism and motor at 2 years 5 months.

True

In fact recalls are good as manufacturer is :

1. Admitting fault public ally

2. Fixing it

3. We then 'should' have more faith in the brand !

Yeah, and when you compare it to e.g. Peugeot and Ford, to name two, who had serious ECU bugs in some of their cars years ago but basically ignored it and didn't issue recalls until there were so many incidents they couldn't fob it off as 'an isolated incident' or 'driver error' or some other BS any more!

I prefer Toyota's way...

Meanwhile......................Vauxhall Zafira's "may" burst into flames, over 130 have already done so....... :eek:

Isn't this a re-run of a similar recent recall for the same thing on those models?

I'm sure there was, if not this year, last year. It was the same issue regarding the lubrication of window switches.

Meanwhile......................Vauxhall Zafira's "may" burst into flames, over 130 have already done so....... :eek:

Yes, it would appear Vx are trying to blame poor maintenance on the heater controls and/or the fitting of non o.e.m. parts. A symptom of a possible problem is the non operation of the heater fan motor on certain speeds and squeaking noises behind the dash. The first could point to dodgy fan speed resistors? The second could just be a trapped mouse!

The previous issue with the power window switches was where the switch became worn and difficult to operate, and it was found some owners were lubricating the switch with unsuitable lubricants. These lubricants could cause the switch to overheat. The previous recall involved checking the operation of the switch, and either replacing the switch or lubricating it with the correct lubricant.

Remember Renault had a problem with the bonnet catch on the Clio II, where on some cars the catch didn't always lock the bonnet shut, and some owners had the bonnet fly up when the vehicle was in motion, smash the windscreen, and reduce visibility somewhat whilst the owner tried to stop with limited visibility. Renault refused to recall the cars despite being featured on BBC Watchdog, and stated it was a problem with the owners not maintaining the catch.

Think I prefer Toyota's way ..........

• Like 1

Think the reason that years ago recalls were unheard of, is that a UK Government-funded recall system was only brought in being in 2003 - one of the tasks of the newly formed Vehicle and Operators Services Agency (now part of DVSA (Driver and Vehicles Standards Agency)).

Wasny just Renaults that had problems with the bonnet catch, i remember buying an old Mk1 Cortina out the market, tidy old thing it was in light blue with a white roof. Got it out and drove along the road about quarter a mile and whooooffff the bonnet sprang open and wrapped itself over/around the windscreen. It's quite a scary experience steer ing it to a halt in a busy city street trying desperately to remember what the traffic looked like the last moment before it went up. Sad thing was I just had to get rid of the car because the bonnet hinges ripped out all the bulkhead and inner wings area and it was fubar.

All for the want of some oil and grease on the cable and operating catch.

Happened to me with a Moggy Minor after I serviced it :crybaby: ..........Lubed the lock but during the lube process the catch did not return fully...........lesson learned :blush:

Yes, it would appear Vx are trying to blame poor maintenance on the heater controls and/or the fitting of non o.e.m. parts. A symptom of a possible problem is the non operation of the heater fan motor on certain speeds and squeaking noises behind the dash. The first could point to dodgy fan speed resistors? The second could just be a trapped mouse!

I'm a bit worried about this Zafira going on fire business, didn't know about that. I knew of the Antara fires, said to be caused by engine oil leaks dripping on to the engine undertray and then being ignited by the excessive heat generated during DPF regen. In fact Vauxhall issued a TSB to remove the undertrays with a replacement to be fitted "when available".

I've been thinking of buying an Antara because they're offering them at £13,500 with a £2,000 scrappage scheme on the condition you must have owned the old vehicle for at least 90 days. Well there's a family member with such an old vehicle! I mean that's a heck of a deal, only £13 and a half for a brand new 65 pre-reg with delivery miles and three year / 100,000 mile warranty. That's the price of a 5 or 6 year old Kia about the same size.

I'm going to see the Vauxhall dealer next week and find out if there's any hooks or catches in the deal and if all's well I'm buying one.

Happened to me with a Moggy Minor after I serviced it :crybaby: ..........Lubed the lock but during the lube process the catch did not return fully...........lesson learned :blush:

Aye and then they started making things like the Triumph Herald with the whole front end that hinged forward. Made you feel like you were driving an E-type, dinnit? Oh and, they things could turn on a sixpence, whatever that was!

Oh and, they things could turn on a sixpence, whatever that was!

That was something I was wishing I could do today! Sometimes I forget how bad the turning circle of my Yaris is and then I am quickly reminded :lol:

The turning circle of the Herald was 25 feet. I always fancied one of the Vitesse 2 litres - essentially the Herald with the 2 litre straight six engine from the Triumph 2000.

Oh and, they things could turn on a sixpence, whatever that was!

That was something I was wishing I could do today! Sometimes I forget how bad the turning circle of my Yaris is and then I am quickly reminded :lol:

Yes, me too http://www.coquegsm.com/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links