Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Water Pump - Instructions For Changing?

IronIron

Hi, I think my 2010 IQ 1.0L water pump is going (constant ticking even when cold and frequency goes up with revs). No leak yet, coolant level isnt going down and no warning light.

I usually just let Mr.T deal with everything, but my finances are a bit low at the moment and I read they really rip you off with labour costs if you ask them to do this particular job.

Ive seen people online changing Aygo pumps themselves and it was implied it isnt difficult, probably the same for the IQ? Im not sure I want to attempt it without the backup of something like a Haynes or equivalent workshop manual though.

Not sure if this is accurate, but seems like all you need to do is:

• Bumper off
  • Remove drive belt
  • Drain coolant
  • Remove pump
  • Fit new seal
  • Fit pump (thread lock the bolts and dont get them mixed up)
  • belt back on (check tension)
  • Refill coolant (slowly and keep checking expansion until sure no air locks)
  • Bumper back on
  • Done?

Do any detailed instructions for this process exist specific to IQs?

Not sure the bumper being removed will help. I changed the drive belts on my car by jacking it up, removing the right hand wheel and then removing the plastic wheel arch cover. It's only clipped in place and gives pretty good access to the front of the engine.

Here are the pages from the manual.....

Craig.

post-116364-0-41953900-1446214283_thumb.

post-116364-0-84379800-1446214290_thumb.

post-116364-0-72703200-1446214295_thumb.

post-116364-0-29988200-1446214300_thumb.

Oh, One thing to mention is that the drive belts on the iQ are in a pretty vulnerable position right next to the wheel. That was why I had to change my belts as one was split and fallen apart. Upon closer inspection there was lots of grit and small stones embedded in the belt and some of the stones had been pushed right through the belt and visible on the other side.

If you get to the point of taking the belts off change them out for new ones while you are there.

Just wondering if the ticking sound is stones in the belt. Could be the alternator too though I guess.

Craig.

Thanks, I never thought about stones getting stuck under the belt, but that might actually by a possability... The council resurfaced the roads near my home not long ago and left them in an aweful mess with loose stones everywhere. Will be very happy if it is just a stone!

Is it possible to check the belt by just tugging it by hand when the engine is off or does that do anything bad?

On my car I could see the damage by looking down at the belts through the engine bay but one of mine was split and had a big thread hanging out the side.

I think you need to take the wheel and wheel arch cover off to get a good look. If you do remove the belts to look you will be able to spin the water pump and the alternator by hand and see if there are any funny noises from them.

Craig.

It turned out to be a stone after all and it has made a hole right through the the belt so I'll be getting this changed ASAP. Surprising how much damage a tiny stone can do...

Ordered the belt from Mr.T and will pick-up on Monday. Mr.T wanted over £80 for the labour and I have to wait 2 weeks for a while-you-wait slot. My local garage wants £26 labour and will do it right away. Guess which I chose.

Thanks very much for your help Craig, I was on course to just book it in to Mr.T for a pump and belt change knowing that would probably fix whatever was causing the noise (didn't seem to come from alternator). I would never have thought to look for a stone if you hadn't mentioned it.

post-95047-0-07405700-1446297570_thumb.j

post-95047-0-56881400-1446297581_thumb.j

• Like 1

can you get a guard to prevent stones getting in there?

Does anyone know what the replacement interval is on the water pump. My 1.0l Noddy car is now showing 160,000 and it't got full Toyota service history but I don't know if it has ever had one.

I read they can last over 200,000 all the way down to 20,000. Not sure why there is such a huge range of failure rate. Might be the difference between own brand and third party, apparently the Toyota ones are far far superior in longevity compared to third party replacements.

• 5 years later...

Interesting thread but old, so maybe this is a dead end.

Anyway, dumb question - does anyone know which direction the iQ engine rotates? 

Cheers,

Mark.

Is this a similar procedure on the 1.33 engined IQ's?? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links