Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Brake Pads

Cyker

Does anyone know if Toyota dealers standardise on actual Toyota pads or do they just use whatever they have to hand? Or does it depend on the dealer?

I ask because I had mine done recently and was expecting the blue Akebono low dust ceramic pads that are the 'genuine' toyota part used for this car, but have discovered that they've fitted some generic Textar pads!

I'm a bit miffed by that as I could have bought those myself from ECP or Halfords and had them fitted for half of what I've been charged. I could have probably used the EBC Greenstuffs I used last time and still spent less money.

For those of you that work for dealers, what do you normally use?

That is shocking!!! :jawdrop:

I thought the reason why we pay extra and why dealers want u back is because one of the reason was they only use GENUINE manufacturer STAMPED parts???!!!

Have u gone back and query with them (in case they have a cowboy fitter or Textar parts is a Toyota approved parts - still it should have a toyota stamp on it)???

Yeah, I'm going to call them on Monday as they were closed for the weekend by the time I noticed. :(

Just wanted to see what other peoples' experiences are, and if this is a thing now or whether I've been shafted...

Does anyone know if Toyota dealers standardise on actual Toyota pads or do they just use whatever they have to hand? Or does it depend on the dealer?

I ask because I had mine done recently and was expecting the blue Akebono low dust ceramic pads that are the 'genuine' toyota part used for this car, but have discovered that they've fitted some generic Textar pads!

I'm a bit miffed by that as I could have bought those myself from ECP or Halfords and had them fitted for half of what I've been charged. I could have probably used the EBC Greenstuffs I used last time and still spent less money.

For those of you that work for dealers, what do you normally use?

So did you get any sense from the dealer when you asked about the Texstar pads?

Spoke to them about it over the phone, they assured me that they only use Toyota parts and that it is normal for the supplier to change over time, but that the pads they put on my car are what they get when they order that part number from Toyota, and that if they were not able to source proper Toyota pads for some reason they'd have checked with me first to see if it was okay to fit non-Toyota pads.

They seemed to think that even tho' they are Textar pads they are somehow better than the Textar pads that Kwik Fitt/Halfords et al would fit, but I'm pretty sure they are just stock OE Textar pads.

They work okay, but are just as dusty as I would have expected of the generic OE non-Akebono pads; I think next time I'll source the pads myself and get my travelling mechanic to fit them. At least then I know for sure what I'm getting. Be a !Removed! lot cheaper too!

Spoke to them about it over the phone, they assured me that they only use Toyota parts and that it is normal for the supplier to change over time, but that the pads they put on my car are what they get when they order that part number from Toyota, and that if they were not able to source proper Toyota pads for some reason they'd have checked with me first to see if it was okay to fit non-Toyota pads.

What?!!! :eek:

Changed supplier ok - but to actually say "non-Toyota pads" sounds like it hasn't even been approved by Toyota yet?!!! :fear:

I would ring Toyota UK or other dealers to get a 2nd opinion!

I would certainly will NOT be happy with it!

Good job u found out - as for the rest of us we would have NO IDEA what is fitted! :( :( :(

Though when I use local garages I either tend to MARK the old parts or ask the garage to show me the removed parts or/and new part boxes etc

But I usually don't do that with dealers - should I start to?.....

Cyker the pads used in your are probably from the optifit range. This is a range that is cheaper than the original ones fitted to your car.

When i ring toyota parts for service kits,brakes and Wiper Blades. First they quote me a high price then a lower one from the optifit range.

This is what i found from kingo in a older post

They are NOT exactly the same as the original blades, they are made not quite as a universal fit, but will fit more models as they a not an exact replacement

The parts used in the price promise are OPTIFIT parts, as per the above part numbers, if you want the ORIGIANL blades, the price promise does not apply and you will need to pay the £55.

Personally i think these items are sourced from the same supplier as ECP and sold in toyota boxes.

I went in to toyota last week. And seen pagid boxes for disc and pads i asked about them and they were being returned to eurocarparts!!!

I don't know. The guy on the phone swore blind they would be genuine Toyota parts and insisted they don't use anything else.

Regardless, I doubt I'll get them to do it again in the future; £90 is just not worth it if I can't be sure of what I'm getting, esp. with something like brakes! The worst part is that the bossman in the place I got my new tyres (A different garage) was being really obnoxiously pushy trying to get me to let them do the brakes there and then, saying that they only charge half as much and use the same pads as Toyota, and now I found out he's probably right! :lol:

I dunno, maybe it's just Jemca being terrible; I must say out of the three Toyota franchises I've dealt with (Jemca, Hills and Lindop) Jemca have been by far the worst. Just goes to show, even tho' they're all technically Toyota dealers you can't tar them all with the same brush!

Toyota use several different brands for Genuine parts, whether they are Bosch, Textar, Akibono etc. Any of those brands can be "Genuine" Toyota parts. Textar make some of the Optifit brake pads which are the pads used for the "Fixed Price"

Textar will make a pad to Toyota's own specification, they may be very different from a Textar pad supplied by a motor factor, and will use that most over rated phrase in the motor industry, and that is "OE" As far as I am concerned, that phrase should be banned. There is an assumption that OE means Genuine, it doesn't, it means that particular maker makes pads for the manufacturer, but they can be to a completely different specification from "Genuine" spec

Anyhoo, if the pads used were 04465-YZZ** they are Optifit pads and often made by Textar

I have learnt a lot from this thread

Next time I am at Toyota I will demand a quote for the work AND the part brand + number!

Plus I will demand to see the OLD parts and will also MARK any parts I can reach, so that after the work the MARK shouldn't be there anymore.....

But....

It all then feels like dealing with a back street garage :eek: :( :( :(

" that most over rated phrase in the motor industry, and that is "OE" As far as I am concerned, that phrase should be banned. There is an assumption that OE means Genuine, it doesn't, it means that particular maker makes pads for the manufacturer, but they can be to a completely different specification from "Genuine" spec"

to my mind OE should mean parts that are actually made for & used by a vehicle manufacturer in production of the relevant vehicle, anything else imo is a pattern part. That doesn't preclude other manufacturers from stating that their pattern part is made to meet or exceed the vehicle manufacturer's required standards (which in many cases may well be true as volume manufacturers specify products that are a balance of quality & cost rather than absolutely the best parts available).

to my mind OE should mean parts that are actually made for & used by a vehicle manufacturer in production of the relevant vehicle, anything else imo is a pattern part.

That's what I mean, your interpretation, and most of the other motoring public take OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to mean genuine. That is as far from the truth it can possibly be. All it means is that supplier also makes the genuine part for the manufacturer. I can say with absolute authority that pattern parts made by the OEM will NOT be the same spec as the part they make for the genuine market. They are cheaper for a reason

to my mind OE should mean parts that are actually made for & used by a vehicle manufacturer in production of the relevant vehicle, anything else imo is a pattern part.

That's what I mean, your interpretation, and most of the other motoring public take OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to mean genuine. That is as far from the truth it can possibly be. All it means is that supplier also makes the genuine part for the manufacturer. I can say with absolute authority that pattern parts made by the OEM will NOT be the same spec as the part they make for the genuine market. They are cheaper for a reason

No, your interpretation of my post is incorrect. I specifically say that OE (not OEM, there is a difference) should mean parts actually made for & used by a vehicle manufacturer in production of the relevant vehicle. As I also said, anything else - even if made by the same manufacturer - should be classed as a pattern part.

I am not arguing that other people may have a different interpretation - I am actually backing you up.

&, as I also alluded, that does not preclude some pattern parts from being better & dearer than those used by the vehicle manufacturer.

Yes I see what you mean, OE and OEM are used in the same way but they are indeed very different.

Getting back to the original post, I think you would find the vast majority of dealers would fit Optifit parts which are the pads used for fixed price repairs, because of their lower prices. They are still made to Toyota's standards, carry the full manufacturers warranty, but the retail prices are lower than their original OE part number. I would be very surprised if any dealer fitted none genuine or pattern parts

• Like 1

OE vs OEM

Awwww - learnt something new again :)

• 5 years later...

So what are the differences likely to be between Optifit (YZZDY) pads & the factory fitted ones?

Why does it matter?

How much difference is there likely to be?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2015 at 12:07 AM, Cyker said:

They seemed to think that even tho' they are Textar pads they are somehow better than the Textar pads that Kwik Fitt/Halfords et al would fit, but I'm pretty sure they are just stock OE Textar pads.

They work okay, but are just as dusty as I would have expected of the generic OE non-Akebono pads; I think next time I'll source the pads myself and get my travelling mechanic to fit them. At least then I know for sure what I'm getting. Be a !Removed! lot cheaper too!

Toyota are being very sly and Dealer are misleading everyone. I got it in writing they were going to use the original Toyota as per manufacturer (even quoted the correct part number) when they came to do they were fitting the Optifit cheaper OE versions. Fraudulant springs to mind. I declined all extra works because of this. Glad I did as discs are fine and shock absorber was not an issue either. The problem was something else Knocking noise known to be a problem with Toyota is a 12mm bolt on the steering column. Inchcape therefore are definitely deceiving people and fitting Optifit also not to good at much else based on my recent experience. My advise now is forget the dealership, your not getting what you think and not giving you the service you deserve to get. Try a small family garage is my advice.

On 11/11/2015 at 4:44 PM, Parts-King said:

Toyota use several different brands for Genuine parts, whether they are Bosch, Textar, Akibono etc. Any of those brands can be "Genuine" Toyota parts. Textar make some of the Optifit brake pads which are the pads used for the "Fixed Price"

Textar will make a pad to Toyota's own specification, they may be very different from a Textar pad supplied by a motor factor, and will use that most over rated phrase in the motor industry, and that is "OE" As far as I am concerned, that phrase should be banned. There is an assumption that OE means Genuine, it doesn't, it means that particular maker makes pads for the manufacturer, but they can be to a completely different specification from "Genuine" spec

Anyhoo, if the pads used were 04465-YZZ** they are Optifit pads and often made by Textar

Any idea what the difference is between 04465-YZZDY & 04465-YZZEQ , also i would suspect Lexus may be same story as I would expect them to use same pads as other Toyota ranges

• 1 month later...

Just put the part numbers in at work and they are a different shaped pad , can’t be for same car 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,
I am getting my brake pads and disc fitted soon but wondering whether it is better to buy the parts and get Toyota to fit or a different garage. I keep getting referred to 04465-YZZDS when search for the parts.
I spoke with Toyota and they kindly confirmed both parts are correct for me but if Optifit is not the best choice should I buy 04465-0D050 instead?

I’ve checked eurocarparts but want the genuine Toyota parts and do not want non genuine parts added.

• Like 2

Hi MysteryLady,

this is an old thread.  You would be far better to start a new thread that covers your own problem.

Welcome to the club btw.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MysteryLady said:

if Optifit is not the best choice

Optifit is Toyota's cheaper range of parts made to Toyota's specification. For example Optifit Wiper Blades are made by Trico to Toyota's specs. They should be perfectly OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I gather Optifit stuff will perform the job they're designed for (in this case, stopping the car) just as well as the factory brakes, as they are made to Toyota spec and have to perform to their standards.  It's just other stuff that it may not do as well. The Optifit stuff is still sanctioned by Toyota.

My original gripe was I wanted the factory pads specifically because they produced virtually no dust, whereas the optifit ones produced as much dust as all the other third-party brake pads made for the car, and those I could get for much cheaper!

It became moot with the Mk2 and Mk4 as they use a different brake system that just use standard dusty pads, no fancy Akebono ceramicy ones like the japanese-made Mk1s had!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies so far ☺️♥️@Cyker did you buy the originals in the end?

I did in the old dealership, as they were giving me the Akebonos, but since the new dealer only supplied optifit Textars I didn't see the point of paying dealer rates for stuff any garage would use, so started trying different pads and giving them to my travelling mechanic to fit them. Worked out considerably cheaper with minimal differences in brake performance.

(I got through a lot of pads dragging those diesel Yarisusesieuees daily through stop-start London traffic!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links