Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Bought A Used Prius As My First Car. A Few Questions...

kissinger

I really like my used Prius, but I've noticed a few quirks I don't quite understand yet. I was hoping I would be able to get some information on them here.

1. I've only had the car a few days but it seems like sometimes when I start driving it it runs either super sluggish/super quiet or with fast acceleration/very loud. I assume this is because sometimes it starts with the electric motor and some other times, when the Battery is low, with the petrol motor. Is that right and is there any way of controlling how it operates? I have the T-spirit model so it has an EV button. I tried pressing it and it seemed to make the car run on electric only but the batter depleted fast.

2. Every time I demist the windows and then turn off the demister again the AC comes on automatically. Is that normal?

3. Is there a certain way you have to turn on the heater or is it just as simple as raising the temperature in the 'Climate' menu? I only ask because I can't get the heater to work. It always seems to blow cold air. I suspect it will have to be repaired.

4. Is there any way to play music via bluetooth? I can get my phone to work via bluetooth but can't access any of the music on my phone that way.

Thanks in advance guys.

What year Prius?

1. The engine noise you are talking about where it appears to be very loud while accelerating is because of the CVT transmission and the way it works.

2. When I turn the demister on my Prius the A/C switches on automatically. So I'm assuming when you turn it off from the demister the A/C is staying on. I usually turn the Demister On but then turn the A/C off immediately.

3. In the climate screen you can select where you want the air to blow and fan speed. Should also have an Auto function if this is "On" then you can indeed just raise or lower the temperature.

4. On my Gen 2 bluetooth music streaming is not possible. Only for Phone calls.

Do you have an AUX port in the Arm rest / does your car have a cassette player?

Need to know what Gen Prius it is. ( what year )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 - The engine does its own this depending upon lots of different variables. A fair bit of info on here about its warm up cycles.

2 - Can't say I follow what you're saying with 'demister' Are you on about the rear headed screen, or the fast clear windscreen button?

3 - Just hit auto and then select desired temp, fan speed and temp from vents will vary until the cabin reaches the pre selected temp.

4 - Available on the gen 3 I believe, not sure about other Prii however.

• Like 1

I did find an 'Aux' button inside the armrest compartment which looks like it takes a standard 3.5mm jack, so I suppose I could play music from my iPhone that way, which is great.

As far as the heating goes, I will have to try it on a long journey and see if it warms up sufficiently. I've only been on short (<10 minute) journeys so far, so maybe it just takes a while to heat up. I learned to drive in a Ford Focus which seemed to heat up really quickly, so maybe I'm just 'spoiled' by that.

On the CVT thing, the only possible explanation I can think of is that the car was in EV mode when I drove it for the first couple of days. It must have then ran out of Battery and that's when the petrol engine kicked in. I don't mind the extra noise at all. TBH, it seems a bit sluggish in EV mode.

Thanks guys.

It's not very likely that the car is not blowing hot air because of a fault.

To check this I would turn the heating on mapxto check this I would turn the heating on to max and turn the fan speed to 3 / M and wait for engine to warm up.

Before doing this you should check that the car has sufficient coolant level. On my Prius there are 3 locations where coolant goes.

If the car is in eco mode then it'll throttle the heating system in favor of fuel economy. Also put manually put the car in EV mode using the override button, you'll get poorer MPG results.

Yeah was suppose to say.

Stop putting it in EV mode again and again. You'll get worse MPG overall and your not doing the Battery any good by constantly charging and discharging it.

Just put into D " drive " and enjoy the car.

Only time I use EV is sneaking up on people [emoji23]

I leave it on Auto A/C all year round, it helps with keeping the windows clear in the colder months and I don't have to fight with a vent system that was really "only" designed to work with the Auto A/C mode.

In the 2008, the CD multi-changer can read data discs, and I copied about 8 to 10 albums of mp3 files onto a 700MB data compact disc. I don't know when that feature was introduced, so I don't know if the 2007 has that option.

The Petrol engine (ICE) can be loud when the outside temperature is cooler and the poor little 1.5L engine has to push that thick 5w-30 oil around.

Okay guys. I just got back from a full Toyota main dealer service and my heating still is not working. It took me around 40 minutes to drive back and I had it on 30C the whole time with fans at 'Max' and it was only blowing chilly air. The window demister function works so I'm assuming they're getting hot air, but the vents facing me on the dash simply will not blow any hot air. I can't see how it's not broken even though they didn't notice anything wrong with it on the service.

Would it be worth me calling up the dealer that did the service to ask about it?

Okay guys. I just got back from a full Toyota main dealer service and my heating still is not working. It took me around 40 minutes to drive back and I had it on 30C the whole time with fans at 'Max' and it was only blowing chilly air. The window demister function works so I'm assuming they're getting hot air, but the vents facing me on the dash simply will not blow any hot air. I can't see how it's not broken even though they didn't notice anything wrong with it on the service.

Would it be worth me calling up the dealer that did the service to ask about it?

It'll probably be the AC that cleared the screen, not heat. If you've heat of the screen it should blow heat out the vents also.

Sounds like you do have and issue.

Is the coolant level correct?

And that is a strange one I've not heard of that before I have four Gen 2s and all have had different type of problems at some pointI. Should get it checked out imo

Did you have "Auto A/C" off?

I've tried it with it on and with it off. No heat either way.

You haven't said if you have checked the coolant level

The radiator coolant level is often overlooked because it is hidden by a plastic cover

Is heat just not coming from the face vents or is it not coming from any ?

Did you have "Auto A/C" off?

I've tried it with it on and with it off. No heat either way.

Mmmm, it does possibly sound like you have a fault.

The way I've always operated my car is as follows.

1) Auto A/C set to ON

2) Set the temperature

You must not set any other venting or fan options i.e. anything from the touch panel screen because some of them switch off the Auto A/C!

Just to confirm all that needs to be on is Auto (as lit by the light on the switch).

AC doesn't have to be on as well, although helps with cooling in the summer and keeping Windows clear this time of the year.

"Auto A/C" (or maybe it is "A/C Auto") is the button on my steering wheel in the same cluster as the temperature buttons.

"Auto A/C" (or maybe it is "A/C Auto") is the button on my steering wheel in the same cluster as the temperature buttons.

AC is a different button on my PiP and AC is independent of AC operation. Is yours a 09-12 gen 3 or 2012>?

You haven't said if you have checked the coolant level

The radiator coolant level is often overlooked because it is hidden by a plastic cover

I think I have but I'm not sure. I checked the things listed as the 'Inverter coolant reservoir tank' (in the middle, towards the windshield) and the 'Engine coolant reservoir' (in the middle-left, towards the front bumper) in the manual. They were both fine, but I would have thought the Toyota service people would have checked everything too.

Is heat just not coming from the face vents or is it not coming from any ?

Doesn't appear to be coming from any.

I did find an 'Aux' button inside the armrest compartment which looks like it takes a standard 3.5mm jack, so I suppose I could play music from my iPhone that way, which is great.

As far as the heating goes, I will have to try it on a long journey and see if it warms up sufficiently. I've only been on short (<10 minute) journeys so far, so maybe it just takes a while to heat up. I learned to drive in a Ford Focus which seemed to heat up really quickly, so maybe I'm just 'spoiled' by that.

On the CVT thing, the only possible explanation I can think of is that the car was in EV mode when I drove it for the first couple of days. It must have then ran out of battery and that's when the petrol engine kicked in. I don't mind the extra noise at all. TBH, it seems a bit sluggish in EV mode.

Thanks guys.

I leave it on Auto A/C all year round, it helps with keeping the windows clear in the colder months and I don't have to fight with a vent system that was really "only" designed to work with the Auto A/C mode.

In the 2008, the CD multi-changer can read data discs, and I copied about 8 to 10 albums of mp3 files onto a 700MB data compact disc. I don't know when that feature was introduced, so I don't know if the 2007 has that option.

The Petrol engine (ICE) can be loud when the outside temperature is cooler and the poor little 1.5L engine has to push that thick 5w-30 oil around.

It seemed that Toyota did not have USB as standard on earlier cars like my Mk3 2009 Avensis, just the AUX port in the armrest storage area.

There is an official upgrade to add USB, but I went aftermarket and got a Bluetooth/USB adapter - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bluetooth-handsfree-A2DP-CD-changer-adapter-Toyota-Prius-RAV4-2004-2011-/111575425472?hash=item19fa69e1c0:g:hXQAAOSwa39UuQ9B

I installed the same in my car and it is totally integrated with the car controls. bluetooth streams well and answers calls in any mode.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169513-added-usbbluetooth-adaptor-to-w53828-in-avensis-mk3/

This upgrade works on every Toyota model, that has changer port on the rear of the audio unit.

Gen 2 Heating & Ventilation:

It's a while since I drove then Gen 2 Prius, but from memory:

1. If you press "A/C Auto" on the steering wheel or climate screen, both the fan and distribution will be controlled automatically to try to achieve the temperature set by the TEMP up/down buttons
  2. When you turn on A/C Auto, by default it turns on the A/C as well as the climate control in fully auto mode. I read somewhere that the dealer can change a setting with their hand held computer so that pressing A/C Auto only switches on the Climate Control without activating the A/C, but my (normally very efficient) dealer couldn't manage this at the time I had a Gen 2
  3. While in auto, changing the fan speed makes fan control manual until you select A/C Auto again, but leaves distribution automatic
  4. Similarly, while in auto, if you override the air distribution, that becomes manual while fan remains automatic
  5. If you modify fan and distribution the whole system becomes manual until you press A/C auto again
  6. warm air should flow from the selected vent(s) provided the engine is warm enough - try turning Temp up until it says MAX with a warm engine - if you still get no heat you've definitely got a problem
  7. If you hit the Screen Demist button it will crank up the fan, turn on A/C if not on, switch to outside air if recirculation is currently selected and divert air to the screen vents. It may also possibly start the petrol engine if it's not running (probably kill EV mode too if that's selected). Pressing Screen Demist again returns A/C, recirc, fan and distribution to their previous setting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links