Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying Buzzing Sound

spuddy10

So the new car is going well but it has an annoying habit of buzzing at 2000rpm. It's quiet up to then and goes quiet almost straight after. It's like something is resonating but I can't find it, although it's certainly outside. Has anyone else had this? The strange thing is a Corolla went past the end of my road when I was outside and that did exactly the same!! :ermm:

Might be a help if your profile indicated whether yours is petrol or diesel and which engine.

Done, it's an E12 petrol,

Cheers Spuddy.

Has the noise always been there since you got the car ?

Any dirt / object etc stuck in the brakes or tyres ?

Pollen filter and scuttle air intakes all clear of debris, same for the engine air filter box, all secure and filter clean and no large debris in the bottom of the box or stuck in the actual air intake pipe that goes behind the Battery area.

You say 2000rpm but does that more relate to road speed / higher gears ? can it happen in first or second gear?

Hi it happens at stand still as well as moving. On full choke in the morning you hear it. There's something resonating which sounds like the exhaust or a guard or something. I'll check the intake, didn't think of that but it's more of a metallicy sound.

Tn

Hi it happens at stand still as well as moving. On full choke in the morning you hear it. There's something resonating which sounds like the exhaust or a guard or something. I'll check the intake, didn't think of that but it's more of a metallicy sound.

Then I would supect the exhaust heat shields.

As you look at the engine from the front, there is a heat shield over the rear of the engines exhaust manifold which meets up with another shield fixed to the car body; if they have moved for some reason they can touch and vibrate under certain loads.

There are a couple more shields along the exhaust and a large one covering the petrol tank, again all vibrate easily if loose or catching ; for the petrol tank one I had to put some material between them to stop it vibrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Next time it's not battering it down I'll take a look. Sounds the most likely (pardon the pun).