Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Rear Brakes

chrisgr

Hello,

My wife owns a 2011 1.6 Auris. It was bought last year with full toyota service history and 27k miles on the clock. I just had the 4th service done at my local dealer and they advised that both rear brake discs and pad need replacement as "discs worn, pads 4mm". They quoted £225 although I pointed out and they accepted that the fixed price for rear discs/pads is £215.

I queried what the problem is with the discs with 2 different individuals and they couldn't really give a convincing answer (second guy suggested it's the lipping). I'm no expert but I had a quick look at the discs and there does not seem to be any significant corrosion issues. The only thing I noted is some lipping but i'm not sure if it's significant enough to require a disc replacement. I've attached a couple of picture and would appreciate your views. I just want to know whether I should be fine with just a pad replacement (at £90) and change the discs next time. They said they've classed it as amber so it's just an advisory.

Comparing to my car (2006 Golf) it's surprising that the discs are already "worn", I changed my rears 30k miles ago, I do mainly motorway miles and they are still like new.

On another note, the car is still in warranty, if I was to replace my discs/pads at an independent garage would that invalidate my warranty? I guess it would be ok if they used genuine part right?

Finally how much life do the pads roughly have with 4mm left? They couldn't answer that either. I appreciate thought that this is very much dependent on use. They said they change them at 2mm.

Many thanks in advance.

http://postimg.org/image/b1zbkpjtp/

http://postimg.org/image/s0wc5zw3j/

Looking at the pictures fitting new pads to the existing discs would almost certainly cause brake squeal/grinding/uneven wear as the new pads will rub/grind against the lip.

Having non genuine brakes fitted will obviously exclude the rear pads / disc from warranty and also potentially exclude any issues with the rears brakes if it could be shown to be caused by the independent repairer or the non genuine parts.

With 4mm left on the pads I would suggest they are reinspected in 5000miles/6months

• Like 1

Those discs look like they're towards the end of their life to me. With 4mm left I'd agree with Devon Aygo and check them every 5k or so.

I'd also like to point out that our 2011 Auris always had drastically more brake dust on the rear wheels than the front (contrary to the norm) leading me to believe the rears do more braking than, say, a similar Golf. There were quite a few others with the same dusty rears when I Googled it too, although the Toyota answer seemed to be that the rear pads are made of different material. I did, however, come across one or two who had calipers relaced under warranty.

From a warranty point out of view you can get any vat registered garage to do any work but the onus is on you to prove it was done to Toyota spec, so you'd be better to fit genuine Toyota parts, and deffo keep receipts.

• Like 2

I would change them too, contact parts king lindop toyota on here you may get them cheaper than your own dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks very much for your responses guys, much appreciated. I was planning on changing the discs as well but it's just disappointing that the don't bother explaining what the problem with the discs is and when specifically asked about it they seem clueless. On top of that they were unable to tell me how much life is left in the rear pads (i.e. 5k/6 months).

One thing I don't understand is why putting new pads on the current discs would create brake squeal/grinding/uneven wear? My understanding is that the lip is created in the first place because that's the area that the pad doesn't make contact and inevitably rust comes up. So if that's the case I assume that a new pad wouldn't make contact with that area either and therefore none of the above should happen. Am I wrong in this?

Lastly I assume doing a wheel alignment at an independent should not invalidate the warranty. or not?

Many thanks again for your help.

your warranty won't be invalidated by a wheel alignment (unless they are totally ham-fisted & damage something, in which case that wouldn't be covered but your warranty would remain in place for everything else).

thanks very much for your responses guys, much appreciated. I was planning on changing the discs as well but it's just disappointing that the don't bother explaining what the problem with the discs is and when specifically asked about it they seem clueless. On top of that they were unable to tell me how much life is left in the rear pads (i.e. 5k/6 months).

One thing I don't understand is why putting new pads on the current discs would create brake squeal/grinding/uneven wear? My understanding is that the lip is created in the first place because that's the area that the pad doesn't make contact and inevitably rust comes up. So if that's the case I assume that a new pad wouldn't make contact with that area either and therefore none of the above should happen. Am I wrong in this?

The lip on the outer part of the disc is caused by corrosion (rust and scale) gradually creeping further in from the outer edge where it is first established, it’s constantly growing and rubbing down the friction material at the edge of the pad so over time the pad friction material wears away. The corrosion will continue to progress further into the disc ie the corrosion is constantly growing but the pad friction material is not.
Fitting new pads without cleaning off the discs means they will be ground afresh by the corroded area on the disc so you experience grinding etc until the parts are all bedded in again. The same is also true for the lower edge of the disc where the pad contacts it.
I think the dealer gave you the correct advice about replacement, based on the assumption it would be 10,000 miles or one year before it was serviced again. Another thing to consider is that the garage has had the vehicle up on a ramp and also inspected the inner surface of the disc which may be more worn than the outer.
It’s your call, you can either run them for another 5,000 miles and re-check or go ahead and change them now. You might want to take the winter out of them and replace them in the spring.
  • Like 1

fantastic thank you both for your responses. i think i will keep an eye on them and replace both discs and pads in a few months time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links