Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 3 Prius Buying Advice

drives

Hi all, just looking to pick some peoples brains as I'm actively looking to buy a Gen 3 Prius and don't want to end up with a duffer...

I'm assuming there's no common faults with these cars? Googling would suggest they're pretty bombproof...

I've test driven a couple now- from a dealership (shame there aren't more private sales of these cars as personally I much prefer to buy private). With the first one, on the same settings I believe, it coasted off on just the Battery and the petrol engine kicked in half way down the road. The second one fired up the ICE. Battery looked pretty full. Is this normal? Not interested in buying it as I wasn't really happy with a few things with it, but just wanted to know for future reference.

I had narrowed down my search to T-spirits, which the well priced good ones seem to sell like hot cakes. That said, I'm only really interested in the cruise control and some searching (which brings up U.S. sites mainly) suggests that this can be retrofitted pretty easily. I'm quite handy with the spanners- has anyone over here done this to their Prius and if so is it pretty straightforward/cheap? The T4s seem very few and far between. It's either T3 or T spirit mainly.

The ice engine will start at different times due to different conditions when setting off, charge, temp, air con/climate control settings, how gentle you are with the throttle....lots of different reasons. The car will look after itself and its Battery, and yes, they are very reliable.

But you don`t have to just look for a Prius....I was looking for one, but bought a Auris t-spirit instead, costing 2/3 what I would have had to spend on a Prius....or look at the lexus ct200....or if you want something bigger, the lexus is300h..this in f-sport spec looks very nice.

The ice engine will start at different times due to different conditions when setting off, charge, temp, air con/climate control settings, how gentle you are with the throttle....lots of different reasons. The car will look after itself and its battery, and yes, they are very reliable.

But you don`t have to just look for a Prius....I was looking for one, but bought a Auris t-spirit instead, costing 2/3 what I would have had to spend on a Prius....or look at the lexus ct200....or if you want something bigger, the lexus is300h..this in f-sport spec looks very nice.

Ok thanks very much. It does seem like seamless technology so I presumed it was okay.

As for the Auris, I did consider them and basically I could get a 12 plate with less miles on it, for the same or a little less money than I'd spend on a 09 plate Prius. But, I really like the HUD and the looks more than the Auris. Fickle I know. Plus it seems like you get very slightly more mpg, particularly on the motorway, due to less drag, and the boot is bigger. The latter however isn't a massive issue for me.

That said if it proves to be this much of a struggle to get a decent Prius for decent money I might just get the Auris....the Lexus is a bit too pricey for me

Gen3 Prius had a facelift around 2012. This included touch and go head unit (with reversing camera) across all models and improved FM reception (and fewer rattles).

Pre facelift T-Spirit have the satnav on a hard disk drive (not DVD) which is pretty much impossible to update, but it does integrate with the HUD.

Early Gen3 Pri (registered before June 2010) only had 3 year warranty instead of 5.

But if you buy from MrT, it will have Toyota Extended Warranty incldued for the first year which you can extend.

A lot depends what feature you value most - I wanted a Yaris sized car with a roomy interior (like the 1st 2 Yaris versions) but also wanted digital displays (like the first 2 Yaris versions!).

I ended up with a Prius which is far too big for my needs but ticks lots of other boxes (for me), including:

• digital dash
  • Head Up Display (never thought I'd value that as much as I now do)
  • Lots of storage space (2 gloveboxes and under centre armrest)
  • 2012 revision had:
    • heated electrically folding mirrors
    • daytime running lights
    • improved chassis (less rattles, especially on 15" wheels)
    • multifunction display on the T3 (2010/11 models only had this on T4 & Spirit)

The 2010/11 T-Spirit SatNav can be updated by a dealer but used to be eye wateringly expensive)

If you need space then the Prius may be the one, Auris Touring Sport (estate) 7 seat Prius+ are relatively recent addition and may be more expensive.

Gen 3 Prius also come with 17" wheels on the T4 & T-Spirit - they both have their fans and detractors, and some people don't care either way.

Okay thanks for all the replies. My main query is the addition of cruise control to a T3. I have found one PDF which suggests it is incredibly simple (almost too simple- just plug a switch in). Has anyone on here done this, and does it work just as well as factory fitted? I plan on using it a lot and obviously I can buy a T3 for a bit less and just add it potentially, rather than a T spirit, that would probably work out better for me.

And one other thing actually- does the T3 spec have DAB radio at all?

re Cruise Control - it works exactly as the factory fit because it IS the factory fit. :clap:

Add the proper Toyota switch and it starts working immediately.

I've had it done on four Toyota Hybrids including my current 2012 Prius T3, but always by my dealer.

Read here for details: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167783-hybrid-auris-touring/?p=1385665

There's another link on this page to a list of parts my dealer used on my current Prius.

re Cruise Control - it works exactly as the factory fit because it IS the factory fit. :clap:

Add the proper Toyota switch and it starts working immediately.

I've had it done on four Toyota Hybrids including my current 2012 Prius T3, but always by my dealer.

Read here for details: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167783-hybrid-auris-touring/?p=1385665

There's another link on this page to a list of parts my dealer used on my current Prius.

Excellent thanks Pete B. I didn't find that thread during my search. Bizarre really how it's not standard bearing in mind it's just blanked off in effect and just needs the switch! I just wanted to double check before spending my money on a T3 potentially..

Toyota engineering is pure genius!

Their marketing, however, takes a lot of fathoming!

• Like 1

By the way, If anyone happens to be reading this and has a gen 3 prius they are looking to sell, 09/10 reg, max £8-9K for the right car (somewhere near Hants would be beneficial), let me know. I'd much rather buy private than trade but there's hardly any private sales about.

And one other thing actually- does the T3 spec have DAB radio at all?

From memory, the original T3 had DAB as an option (as did the T4 and T-Spirit).

The DAB unit would be installed somewhere behind the glove box.

Hi,

The 3 most common faults is:

wheel bearings. in electric mode, radio off, windows down, cruise at 20-30mph on a smooth road and see if there is any unusaul noise. - each new wheel bearing from Mr T will set you back approx £400 per wheel

Intermediate shaft & steering column - when turning the steering wheel, try and listen and feel for a knocking noise. If there us also a lot of play then this is signs of a problem. New parts and labour £1800.

EGR vavle - this one is quite hard to check, the car would shake and shudder which was very very intermittent. I bought my car at 30k on the clock and it hapened once between 30-40k. bewteen 40-50k maybe 2 or 3 times. 50-60k again 2-3 times. 60-61k more times than i could count and I managed to take a video of the problem. New valve and manifold clean cost £350.

I have been very unlucky and experienced all 3 of the most common faults. Out of warranty Mr T was kind enough to make a contribution each time.

Dont let this put you off, they have sold millions of this car, i was just very unlucky.

• Like 2

Thanks for the above. I have to say that does put me off a bit! Anyway some good pointers thanks. Maybe I need to reconsider an auris possibly as I couldn't find any of these faults crop up with them

Thanks for the above. I have to say that does put me off a bit! Anyway some good pointers thanks. Maybe I need to reconsider an auris possibly as I couldn't find any of these faults crop up with them

Being the same engine the EGR is going to be a possibility on the Auris also. TBH you can have issues with any car, and the Prius is one of the most reliable out there.

My wheel bearing was replaced by MrT under the extended warranty.

Does the one you're looking at have any sort of warranty?

EGR problems seem to be more likely when the car does lots of heavy traffic and little long runs where everything gets properly hot.

BTW - re listening for problems - the Gen 3 Hybrid system (same in one is in the Auris) won't go into EV mode above 20 mph unless everything is at the right temperature - it certainly won't do it shortly after a cold start, however, once it's past the warm up stage gentle acceleration (Hybrid System Indicator [aka ECO display] in the first half of the ECO zone) will keep it in EV operation (as opposed to mode) up to around 45 mph.