Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin/pollen Filters - Regular Checks And Changes.

Konrad C

I have always checked and changed the cabin/pollen filter of my cars. In light of the recent Vauxhall Zafira fires, I looked into what was going on. Another issue is that some garages in general do not check let alone change the cabin filter.

This is mainly due to access in some cases, or laziness.

A lot of owners are not even aware that they have a cabin filter and it needs to be changed periodically. You ask drivers and they may not have a clue that their car has one, where it is located and it needs to be clean!

I have a Mk1 Avensis and the cabin filter for that car comes in two parts - an upper and lower filter. It is accessed by removing a securing tab then lifting a carpet by the drivers pedals. The issue with the filters, are that they have to be for right hand drive cars in the UK. Many third party factors sell only the left hand drive filters. They can be used only if the tab is cut from the filters. The genuine Toyota filters cost many times more than third party filters.

Over a year ago my brother had his Renault Grand Scenic serviced, and on the paperwork itemising what was done, there was a note regarding the filters. This note mentioned that the filters "were checked and need changing"!

So if the filters were accessed, why didn't the garage (a main dealer) contact my brother for permission to change them? We changed the filters (cabin and air) ourselves, and they were filthy. Also there was no sign that access had been made to either filters. Why the statement regarding filters. Telling porkies corporate style?

This leads on to the Zafira fires. The resisters can get hot and also fail. I have seen pictures of melted resisters. The resisters are cooled by the airflow, plus the cabin filter is close. I spoke to a Vauxhall trained mechanic who says that the filters need to be changed regularly, as it keeps a good airflow at low fan speeds, and keeps combustible materials away. This help keep the resister cool, which in turn reduces failure, and the risk of fire. Most Zafira owners are totally unaware, until they see it in the news or worse still, their car catches fire. There are owners that are still oblivious of the situation! I have read in various forums, Facebook and other places owners who are aware of the fires and the Vauxhall recall notice, but do not understand the technical side. Some owners of the cars with climate control think their car also has the problem!

When I got my Avensis Mk3, I checked the filter and discovered it needed changing. It was not too bad, but considering the car had a recent service, plus easy to access behind the glove box, it should have been changed.

Cabin filter might seem a minor item, but it can be important.

• Thanks 1

Agreed that the cabin air filter is important.

With Toyota's Fixed Price Service scheme, which the majority of Toyota dealers operate, changing the cabin filter is listed as a maintenance option, so is not included as part of the service.

As regards booking a service, especially in relation to a full service, the approach Toyota dealers use seems to vary:

1. some quote the Fixed Price Service cost without any maintenance options

2. some include the service and maintenance options.

However, where 2,occurs, they often don't explain what is included, and where the owners shops around, the service cost can seem non-competitive.

A recent example of this is the following topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/170413-2-year-service-for-my-yaris-necessary-extras/

Also most people aren't aware that there are two types of cabin air filter available for some models - standard and enhanced (which has an additional layer of carbon) - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-cabin-filters-the-secret-to-cleaner-air-infographic

Yes they are more expensive - think Toyota's enhanced filters for the Auris are around £26 as opposed to £16 for the standard (prices from the Official Toyota Store on Ebay) - but some people may find the enhanced filters more comfortable (eg asthmatics, hayfever sufferers).

One can have a similar scenario with service plans, where often a service department just quotes for a number of services, and don't include or explain that there are additional maintenance options that may be required, and that the owner may wish to have included.

My was changed recently as a precaution in case the problem of air con smell was traced to it.

This led to the discovery of my 3 year old Auris not had a pollen filter changed since probably new,

the existing one was mucky,

And the car had a full 40k service just 4months ago at Toyota!!!!! Eeeek!

My was changed recently as a precaution in case the problem of air con smell was traced to it.

This led to the discovery of my 3 year old Auris not had a pollen filter changed since probably new,

the existing one was mucky,

And the car had a full 40k service just 4months ago at Toyota!!!!! Eeeek!

.... but as I said, changing the cabin air filter is a maintenance option, so unless the owner chooses the option in addition to the service, the filter won't be checked/changed.

Please do not be tempted to "blow out" pollen filters. They trap minute particles and should not under any circumstances be blown out with compressed air, as this sends all the trapped nasties back up yer snozzle !! :D:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links