Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Warranty Issue

momo88

Hi all,

I should be picking up my Avensis Tourer tomorrow but have now been told by someone that the remaining warranty on the car may not be valid.

The car is a 2012 so the 5year warranty should be there until May 2017. The car has done around 70k miles and we will be doing around 10k a year so should be within the 100k limit too.

The service history of the car was;

2013 - 7k miles

2014 - 27k miles

early 2015 - 48 miles

November 2015 - 70k miles

So it looks like he has been doing it every 12months which has been around 20k miles a year. I called a Toyota garage and spoke to one of the service team, he said that the warranty 5years/100k miles is only valid if the car is serviced every 10k miles or 12 months - whichever comes first. However, Toyota sometimes offer a good will gesture when it comes to warranty and I could stillbe covered if something were to go wrong.

Now with this car being a 1.8 v-matic. I have seen very few common issues (apart from the epb) so I guess that puts my mind at rest a little bit but I still have the worry that if something goes wrong, it would probably be flip of a coin decision if it would get repaired under warranty or not.

I am buying the car from a Vauxhall dealerpship and have arranged for a a year warranty from them to be put on the car once the Toyota warranty has expired.

Has anyone got any advice on this topic please?

Thanks in advance,

Mo

Toyota servicing, in common with quite a few manufacturers, should be carried out either on a time basis (every 12 months) or mileage basis (every 10 or 12,000 miles), whichever occurs first.

I understand that Toyota's leeway as regards late services is one month or 1,000 miles.

Unless the information you have on the car states which month the car was serviced in, the servicing may have been done at intervals greater than 12 months as well.

The second service was overdue by 17K miles, the third service by 19K and the fourth by 12K.

Were the services done by a Toyota dealer or elsewhere?? Goodwill tends to be provided only where the vehicle has been serviced within the manufacturer's dealer network.

Given the degree of non-compliance on the servicing, I wouldn't rely on the fact that you may receive goodwill from Toyota in the event of a warranty claim.

Think your best option would be to get the Vauxhall warranty to start from the date you collect the car.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

The service book does show the months and yes it is on or before 12months. the first 3 services were done by Toyota but the 4th was done at the Vauxhall garage.

I was thinking about doing that but annoyed that I would be giving away around 18months of warranty on the car.

Has the Vauxhall garage actually told you/put in print that the Toyota warranty is still valid? That would be a misdescription.

No they haven't and to be honest, the dealer has just phoned me to suggest we cancel the deal if I'm not happy. I suggested he make me a deal on a 2 years warranty policy so i'll see what price he offers me.

On the basis the car has NOT been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations, it would be prudent to say it is NOT covered by manufacturers warranty, and if a claim does arise and you get it covered, even better. The owner should have been having the car serviced twice a year at the miles he was doing

So another call from the Vauxhall dealer...

He has offered me a years warranty at 'cost price' £200. So in effect i would be covered until Novemebr 2017 instead of May 2018.

As the car is costing £8300, which I believe is a good deal. I think i'll pay the £200 extra and have it covered for peace of mind.

Thoughts?

Well it depends..............

What does it cover? Claim limits? Soooo many questions. Some policies are not worth the paper they are written on. Claim limits are the main problem, policies that have low limits are a waste of space, take some time to read what is and is not covered

I ask about this earlier and he told me that the individual claim limit is £2500, with the max claims allowed being up to the value of the car (so £8300). With regards to what is covered, he just ran through the usual mechanical parts. I will be asking to run through the parts that it covers and does not tomorrow.

does the new warranty that he is offering have a section about the car being maintained according to manufacturer's schedule? If it does I would suggest that would make it not worth the paper that it is written on as your proposed car hasn't been & therefore gives them an instant out for any claim.

It will have that as part of the contract, BUT that will be going forward, it will have to be maintained for the duration of the new policy. These warranties are insurance products, they are insuring the list of parts against mechanical failure, they will not cover anything worn out. This is where these policies are carp, a worn out wheel bearing, not covered unless it collapses, a noisy worn bearing would not be a mechanical failure, nightmare!!

Hmm, some very good points there. A part of me is thinking not to bother with a warranty and just to keep the £600 total cost for the 2 years in the bank for possible issues in the future.

We would be entitled to a 3 month warranty from the dealershop regardless wouldn't we?

If its costing u £200 for a years warranty - is it worth going to a Toyota dealership and strike a deal with them as they are still offering a BOGOF warranty?

That is to ask them to do a FREE health check and if everything checks out ok - then say u will buy a 2 for 1 warranty off them?

http://www.steveneagelltoyota.co.uk/aftersales-offers/extended-warranty-2-4-1-offer/

Not exactly sure if the annual service/10k applies from the point u buy the warranty or from the car new..... :help2:

But why have a vauxhall warranty when u can have a Toyota one :thumbsup:

We would be entitled to a 3 month warranty from the dealershop regardless wouldn't we?

A dealer must supply a warranty with a used car purchase, minimum 3 months. There is no such thing as "sold as seen" or "trade purchase"

A dealer must supply a warranty with a used car purchase, minimum 3 months. There is no such thing as "sold as seen" or "trade purchase"

Is that true? My days for buying trade cars are over but i used to go into the dealers and ask where they kept their rubbish and, sometimes without even looking up from his desk, the guy would point his pencil out the back. I'd go and take a look and if I saw something i liked i'd go back, we'd argue the toss about the price and then i'd buy it. At that point it din't matter if i drove it away, pushed it away or carried it away there was no comeback whatsoever.

Times have changed for the worse :lol:

There is no such thing as selling a car "trade" to somebody NOT in the trade, thats why they go to auctions, or the dealer has a deal with a local trader. To buy a car "trade" you would have to be a bona fide trader. At one point in time it was a way to circumvent the law, anybody doing that these days is a fool. Trade to trade sales are not subject to consumer law the same as retail sales are.

If its costing u £200 for a years warranty - is it worth going to a Toyota dealership and strike a deal with them as they are still offering a BOGOF warranty?

That is to ask them to do a FREE health check and if everything checks out ok - then say u will buy a 2 for 1 warranty off them?

http://www.steveneagelltoyota.co.uk/aftersales-offers/extended-warranty-2-4-1-offer/

Not exactly sure if the annual service/10k applies from the point u buy the warranty or from the car new..... :help2:

But why have a vauxhall warranty when u can have a Toyota one :thumbsup:

I called a dealership earlier and they mentioned that it needed to be serviced as per the 10k miles/12 months from new.

Thanks for the heads up though!

I reckon I am going to go with the 1 year Vauxhall warranty for a year, and if anything happened after that and before the 5 year term ended I would try and fight my case with Toyota.

Like I said, it doesn't seem that much goes wrong with the Avensis so here is hoping I don't need to call on any warranty at all!

Thanks for the advice!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links