Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Key

mudinuri

I have just had a new key cut for my Rav 4.1 by an Auto Locksmith. What I need to know is:

The Locksmith chap told me that I will need to put the micro chip from one of my old keys into the new key which has a split fob for that purpose. BUT, how the heck do I get the micro chip out of one of my old keys without damaging it because the fobs on my old keys do not split open? I dont mind vandalising one of the old keys as long as I dont damage the micro chip.

Any ideas Please?

I seem to remember a member in the past offering his or her simple solution of cutting off the metal part of the old key and sticking the part with the transponder in it on to the side of the new one

Del

Hi all,

For anyone with a similar problem, there is a brilliant video on RAV4 World by JuneBug which explains clearly how to get the transponder out of the oroginal key. I have just spent 10 to 15 minutes carefully slicing open the rubber fob abd taking out the transponder which I then put into the new key which I had cut by an Auto Locksmith. The new key has a plastic holder inside the fob which can accomodate many types of transponder chip. I have just tried it in the car and it works.

Result.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links