Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Can I Expect?

facepaint_paula

hi
my 04 plate petrol Rav is coming up to 90,000 miles, is there anything I should expect to fail soon - so I can preempt :ermm:

My Alternator belt went last year, but otherwise I will admit I've been lucky, only ever really had breaks & tyres replaced, however, I do get an oxygen sensor light intermittently…..

Also, I know we should not, but do any of you use the boot door opening extensions??? The boot door is the WORST part of the car, it doesn't shelter you when it's raining & doesn't open fully, & I'm going to be moving a load of stuff soon & need a wider opening.

I wouldn't care to speculate on what's next to go, at that year and mileage you could expect radiator and clutch but i don't know what type of replacements you've already had.

On the subject of the rear door opening you can buy a modified check strap to allow the door to open to ninety degrees. It was limited due to EU regulations about the visibility of rear lighting and reflectors. The only thing to bear in mind is that, if you fit one of these and someone runs into the back of you at night because they could not see the required amount of lighting / reflection then you will be held liable. I don't know why Toyota persisted with this outmoded unsafe design when most of their competitors had changed to the upright opening door.

Checkstrap available here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV-4-REAR-DOOR-CHECK-STRAP-COVERSION-KIT-RAV-4-/310653738558

• Like 1

The check-strap from a 4.3 fits and allows the door to open to a full 90 deg but as Tom says, you will need to be aware of the legalities should someone run into you when the door is open (although if all the lights are on and you're parked legally, I'd be concerned about the eyesight of the driver involved!). Some folks on here have fitted a strip of red LEDs down the N/S inner edge of the door, wired to the sidelights, so that you then have a further sidelight facing to the rear with the door open. Strips of reflective tape from Halfords would be a secondary option.

I moved an awful lot of furniture over the years in our first 4.2 and never found that the raer door opening range was an issue but I can see hwre there could be situations where a full 90 deg opening would be helpful.

As for the rain, golf umbrella?

If you've looked after and serviced it , not much. I would have thought lamda sensors would be the biggest thing. Mine was at 138k miles and all I did was sensors and exhaust.

In these ever litigious times, I would think twice about fitting the extended door strap. Yes hundreds have done and have never had a problem but do you want to be the one who loses their house because a no win no fee lawyer takes on a case that really has no merit but wins?

In these ever litigious times, I would think twice about fitting the extended door strap. Yes hundreds have done and have never had a problem but do you want to be the one who loses their house because a no win no fee lawyer takes on a case that really has no merit but wins?

If the accident were so severe as to attract the attention of an ambulance chaser, I reckon the damage would be such that the checkstrap would be the last thing to be inspected. Having said that, it could perhaps get you in trouble, as a modification, if not declared to your insurance company.

thanks for the advice……esp the bit about a modification, I know a few years ago wanted to sign write my car & the company I was using would not cover me if I did!

I will look at the checkstrap & the LED lighting.

I'm glad that I'm not expecting a big breakdown in the near future, very reassuring, esp as a friend has just had to replace her clutch on her 09 Kia, with not THAT many miles!!

going back to this check strap, is it easy to fit??? I was thinking I could pop it on when I needed a better opening? or is that a silly idea?

going back to this check strap, is it easy to fit??? I was thinking I could pop it on when I needed a better opening? or is that a silly idea?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy but not the hardest job to do.

You will need to remove the plastic door card from the inside of the rear door (i.e. the large panel covering the inside of the door below the window) which is held on with plastic clips around its outer edges. Then you have to unbolt the inner end of the checkstrap from the O/S edge of the rear door before removing the hinge-like fitting at the other end of the strap, i.e. in the O/S door jamb.

Then you simply reverse the process to fit the new one. At this point, with the rear door card off, it's the best time to wire in the LEDs, if that's your plan, as you can easily run the new wire(s) along the existing loom and door grommets.

I bought a 95,000 4.2 auto nearly three years ago.

The engines are bullet proof, if the oil is changed regularly, a chain driven camshaft so no belts which could break!

I had fun with the auto which needed attention, as did the ECU, but once rectified, its been like a dream ever since. Apart from brake discs front & rear, pads etc. and tyres, (all expendable and to be expected on any vehicle,) the only other issue I have had was when the rear exhaust box parted company with the pipe, having rotted through between the flange and the box itself. That was a bir noisy until I could obtain a replacement, but no other issues.

It's now done nearly 150,000 with no issues!

Good luck with yours!

Oh, just a bit more.....

I did fit the strap on the back door, massive improvement, just be careful in the dark!

And I replaced the standard (very small) Battery with a much larger capacity one which is the specification for the diesel version. It does just go into the same place and is a massive improvement to general running and starting in the winter.

Have fun!