Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid... Fuel Consumption During Winter

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

Correct, but because this car has a climate control you don't need to adjust again the temperature, for example if you set it up at 22c once the car is warm enough the blower will reduce the heat that blow in so doesn't need ice running again and for long , then when temperature goes down a bit the climate control will require some extra heat and ice will kick in to deliver that heat, and then if you want to prevent that you can just turn the fan off and if traction Battery is at decent level the ice will shut off immediately. Another game to try :)

• Like 1

Quick update. As you know the weather is very cold, so I am pleased to say, after using the Auris over the last few days as a taxi and doing mostly town driving it's still in the 60s mpg wise.

More detail. Heater on at 26 auto but sometimes I turn the fan down a little. No warm up as such but I did leave it running outside the house for 10 mins before I set off for work ( the ICE didn't go off), heating on full blast plus air con, plus mirrors and back window heater ( I do like to be warm) Heater left on in ready mode for say 1.5 hours during waiting time between jobs over a 9 hour period. No M/way driving, miles covered approx 100 today, 100 yesterday.

Weather between 0,1 and 2 degrees including snow. To say I'm impressed is a understatement. Handling in the conditions described, very balanced and responsive with no loss of traction. Car performed flawlessly in all other respects too.

One thing I will point out. You of course may know this already. When using the brakes as in regenerative ( lightly) mode, the brake lights are not activated, this can cause some confusion to those who brake late or are too close behind you. Just an observation.

• Like 1

Quick update. As you know the weather is very cold, so I am pleased to say, after using the Auris over the last few days as a taxi and doing mostly town driving it's still in the 60s mpg wise.

More detail. Heater on at 26 auto but sometimes I turn the fan down a little. No warm up as such but I did leave it running outside the house for 10 mins before I set off for work ( the ICE didn't go off), heating on full blast plus air con, plus mirrors and back window heater ( I do like to be warm) Heater left on in ready mode for say 1.5 hours during waiting time between jobs over a 9 hour period. No M/way driving, miles covered approx 100 today, 100 yesterday.

Weather between 0,1 and 2 degrees including snow. To say I'm impressed is a understatement. Handling in the conditions described, very balanced and responsive with no loss of traction. Car performed flawlessly in all other respects too.

One thing I will point out. You of course may know this already. When using the brakes as in regenerative ( lightly) mode, the brake lights are not activated, this can cause some confusion to those who brake late or are too close behind you. Just an observation.

That sounds very concerning ref no brake lights - eek!

That's right, no brake lights but you never slow down so quick that can cause a problem and of course is driver behind responsibility to keep a safe distance and watch what about. If you driving a standard car and use the gears to slow down when approaching a junction or traffic light is still the same.

Not sure that light breaking doesn't activate the break light. I'm sure mine come on straight away. Only regeneration car I'm aware of, where that happens is the outlander PHEV.

Ok, what you mean can happen if you select gear B and drive slowly without ice running, but when you press brake pedal yes, the brake lights activates immediately .

Woah, do you mean the regen when you press the brake lightly there is no brake light, or do you just mean the regen when lifting off you get no light? Because the latter is fine but the former is definitely not!

Edit: Didn't see this reply; That's fine, it works as expected!

On a side note, at least you lot have electric heaters... my car's engine takes so long to heat up... it's sooo coooooolllld in there!! :crybaby:

I think that you will find that B mode starts the Ice. That's the whole point, engine provides brake assist.

I think that you will find that B mode starts the Ice. That's the whole point, engine provides brake assist.

Yes, it does when moving on higher speeds, but when slow it doesn't and if you slightly depress the accelerator pedal the car slows down as much as you press the brakes. Try tomorrow and let me know if I am correct, or got wrong memory.

Cheers

How slow is slow? Don't want to stop the traffic on the way home from work.

How slow is slow? Don't want to stop the traffic on the way home from work.

Slow I mean when you drive in 20 mph zone, and not using a 'ICE' but just on electric. In this case the generator provides brake assist and charges the Battery instead of the petrol engine. For speeds above 32mph ICE does this job.

Lets be clear. When using the brakes very lightly but with pressure on the pedal the brake lights remain off. Only when you apply the brakes with more force do the lights come on. I tend to use a lot of regenerative braking in the hybrid, in other cars I would use engine braking. However in normal cars engine braking is quite tricky when going downhill, but in the hybrid this is very easy without using B mode. Just apply pressure to the pedal and the car starts slowing down gently or on a steep hill the car holds it speed while charging the batteries.

We have to remember that most drivers brake late and drive to close, so I always control their actions by using my mirrors to assess the situ before the manoeuvre. If they are very close on my tail the brake light comes on, if not then happy days and I save more fuel.

I have noticed some aggressive behaviour towards Hybrid driving, but hey ho, i"m the one who pockets the difference and feels chilled out. The aggressors are the fools who are heading for a heart attack, a day in court or worse.

Not convinced, when I drive my car I can't see my brakes. But, I always read ahead and let the car slow down mostly on its own. Never punch the brakes. Still not impressed with the Mpg on the Auris, the Prius was at least 5mpg better.

Not convinced, when I drive my car I can't see my brakes. But, I always read ahead and let the car slow down mostly on its own. Never punch the brakes. Still not impressed with the Mpg on the Auris, the Prius was at least 5mpg better.

If you drive in the dark or close to dark you will see the LED brake lights (top of rear screen) cant remember the name of them, come on or not depending on foot pressure. This is in the estate version.

Hi guys

Looking to get an Auris and I am coming up with some conflicting info that I was hoping you might be able to clear up with regards to the economy.

This article ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1302172/JAMES-MARTIN-The-Toyota-Auris-Hybrid-built-Britain-does-700-miles-tank.html ) claims James Martin got over 700 miles out of a tank from real world driving... but from speaking to others, it is around 400-450 Miles.

I bumped into a guy with a Yaris hybrid yesterday who was singing its praise, and he said he gets a pretty solid 54MPG - or 65MPG over summer. 

I am light footed as my commute is a 50mi round trip from just outside Huddersfield to Leeds - which is a mixture of
City + Rush hour M62 driving
or
Rural + traffic driving
Lots of hills. 

I currently drive a 1.4L Petrol Corsa that has a 45 Litre tank and I get between 280-360 miles per fill (depending on short trips, or longer journeys ie down to my parents in Norfolk).

I basically want something which is an automatic and is economical - so hoping the Hybrid fits it :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the club. Yes, I strongly recommend to you hybrid car if you are looking for an automatic. Toyota hybrid cars are very good, they are reliable too, less trouble and bills for repair. If you are traveling regularly on motorways or A roads it's a good idea to look around for an Auris Hybrid as its slightly better to drive on motorways then a Yaris, due to its size, weight and engine, 1.8 against 1.5. As fuel consumption they are similar but Auris is heavier and gives better feeling while you are cruising at speed. 50mpg and above is easy to reach so definitely you will get more miles from a full tank compared to the car you had, but the pleasure of driving a hybrid is priceless . 

Good luck . 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2016 at 3:15 PM, WildWayz said:

Hi guys

Looking to get an Auris and I am coming up with some conflicting info that I was hoping you might be able to clear up with regards to the economy.

This article ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1302172/JAMES-MARTIN-The-Toyota-Auris-Hybrid-built-Britain-does-700-miles-tank.html ) claims James Martin got over 700 miles out of a tank from real world driving... but from speaking to others, it is around 400-450 Miles.

I bumped into a guy with a Yaris hybrid yesterday who was singing its praise, and he said he gets a pretty solid 54MPG - or 65MPG over summer. 

I am light footed as my commute is a 50mi round trip from just outside Huddersfield to Leeds - which is a mixture of
City + Rush hour M62 driving
or
Rural + traffic driving
Lots of hills. 

I currently drive a 1.4L Petrol Corsa that has a 45 Litre tank and I get between 280-360 miles per fill (depending on short trips, or longer journeys ie down to my parents in Norfolk).

I basically want something which is an automatic and is economical - so hoping the Hybrid fits it :)

Welcome bud

I have an Auris Hybrid so similar to the Yaris

My car officially does 74mpg, but in real world its about 50 (but ONLY during warm conditions)

As u may know its rare to find cars that can match the official figures (but the Prius owners seems to be able to even exceed the official figures!)

I am in Bradford, though it's not a Yaris but similar, so if u want to check out a Hybrid, then just let me know :)

I can`t recommend a auris highly enough....very relaxing to drive, 50mpg around town in summer, 65mpg on the motorway is easy too, most I`ve got is 72mpg. About 70% the price if a prius too.

Can't argue with 50+ mpg. I'm currently on 58, but the Auris is absolutely crap in comparison with the Prius where I never dropped below 65 during colder winter mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

Auris in terms of fuel efficiency is very similar to a Prius Plus, around 50mpg average, however standard Prius is slightly more economical at around 60mpg. Many Prius drivers including me too, had achieved figures close to the one on paper but because of the driving style and in fact that many of us are private hire drivers and most of the time we drive night time when there is no traffic and many red lights. These hybrids are at their best in this circumstances. 

I commute 13 miles each way, country Roads (3 miles),  A road (6 miles),  town (4 miles). 

Good mpg in the Prius, at least 5 down with the Auris

My problem is that my wife is a very insecure driver and the Prius will be too big for her to drive and put her off... hence why I am swaying towards an Auris.

I drive about 2-2.5 hrs each day, which is about a 50 mile round trip - in rush hour traffic (A roads, M62 then a bit of city driving) :)

Some people are saying to get a frugal diesel instead... but not sure i'd get the good MPG out of it or the mileage to keep the diesel 'clean'...