Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Hybrid... Fuel Consumption During Winter

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

Yaris just too small for regular motorway journeys, Auris or Avensis size car that can do over 50mpg and it's quite and nice to drive.

A Lada!? At least pick a car that is likely to work! :lol:

I know I know, I'm just kidding (Well, mostly :P)

But it's true that if price was such a factor you wouldn't buy a brand new car full stop - They are not good value for money and a poor investment. On top of that, no new car is going to be better for the environment than a 2nd hand car - I reckon more emissions get pumped into the atmosphere just making the car than it will ever produce in half its lifetime. Nobody *needs* to spend 20k+ on a car; You do it because you have the money and it has nifty features and you want to and it's shiny :D

Also there is something nice about owning a brand new car :wub:

Personally I'm hoping for the day when the market gets flooded with cheap second hand Teslas ... :unsure:... (Although apparently the Model 3 will be going for ~£30,000... :naughty: I hope the other car makers have something up their sleeves or the luxury and performance saloon market will be sewn up when that happens!)

Will Auris 1.4 d achieve better mpg then an Auris Hybrid on mostly motorway runs? Hope some guys with diesel Auris to share some figures here, what actually they can get out of their cars on the run?

Thanks

Worst experience ever, just bought an 2013 Auris 1.4 diesel with only 25k miles on the clock, very well looked after car from main dealer. Never driven anything so bad in my life, I had tens of cars and non been ever so bad.

Unbelievable amount of noise in the cabin

Vibrations, a lot of vibrations coming through the steering wheel, pedals and seats, drove the car for 50 miles and returned to the dealer. They inspected and said that there is nothing wrong and this is how it is.......

Did achieved the 60mpg on the motorway but at the price of noise and vibrations that made this car must avoid motor for motorway journey. Are the normal petrol or hybrid same? Can't believe the previous shape is so much more car the this. Left frustrated.

Got letter today from Toyota another recall for Auris Hybrid first gen. Something wrong with the electric windows switch. Does anyone got same letter?

It is an extension of an earlier recall. Issue dfiscovered when owners were trying to lubricate worn switches with an unsuitable lubricant, which resulted in the switch overheating.

The second generation Auris is a re-work of the first generation (2007-2012), and even carried forward the Type Approval from the first generation.

Worst experience ever, just bought an 2013 Auris 1.4 diesel with only 25k miles on the clock, very well looked after car from main dealer. Never driven anything so bad in my life, I had tens of cars and non been ever so bad.

Unbelievable amount of noise in the cabin

Vibrations, a lot of vibrations coming through the steering wheel, pedals and seats, drove the car for 50 miles and returned to the dealer. They inspected and said that there is nothing wrong and this is how it is.......

Did achieved the 60mpg on the motorway but at the price of noise and vibrations that made this car must avoid motor for motorway journey. Are the normal petrol or hybrid same? Can't believe the previous shape is so much more car the this. Left frustrated.

Sorry to hear, buddy :(

Did u not test drive a few (diesel, petrol, hybrid) before deciding?

I have no experience the other 2 fuel types

But my Hybrid does seem to have a LOT of squeaks and rattles!

Having said that, I sort of got used to it now

What car(s) did u have before/now?

Well I had tens of cars in my driving experience, last few years had many Mitsubishis and Toyotas Hybrids, last few months mostly been with diesels from Ford and Peugeot. I didn't test any of the second generation Auris, been testing few other diesel cars that are far better then the Auris but because have same as yours and it's great decided to go for Toyota , big mistake! Fell the vibrations a bit from the test drive mainly in town prior to buy it and thought that on motorway these vibrations will disappear as per all other diesels I ve driven, but in the Auris these vibrations are worsening with the speed and the road noise and wind noises are so loud that you can't even make a phone call with bluetooth. First gen is million miles ahead of the second and the few squeaks and rattles you noticed are nothing in comparison with the diesel auris second gen. I wil rather buy one more first gen hybrid.

Could it just be a one of

Did u try another Auris diesel?

I had a few older cars before my hybrid - so it doesn't bother me that much, as my previous cars were even more rattles and squeak - lol

But considering my car is only 3 years old - its not good to be honest

What your options now?

I had returned the car and no car no money now for about 4 weeks till I get v5c on my name then will send to the dealer and they will pay back minus some deduction, it is a horrible story and expensive lesson but at least I learned something that not all Toyotas are good! I will probably buy one more like yours so two Auris hybrid in the family. Had 4 different Prius in the last 2 years and all been great especially the latest Prius Plus with led head lights, best of all hybrids I had. Will stay away from diesel till I save for proper one.

I had a couple of diesels and never liked the clatter nor the tractor like driving

Even with the latest VAG DSGs - didn't make the driving experience that much better

But did enjoyed the low torque pulling power :)

So since u already had Auris hybrid and Prius tested and trusted in the family, then why go diesel?

Is it purely for better economy on motorways (as u mentioned before)?

• Like 1

Not really for economy as in fact diesels are not more economical but for the low revs torque that usually make them quieter and more refined motorway cruisers with exemption of Auris diesel obviously! Also did want to have one manual diesel for my driving needs (200miles commute each day) and one automatic hybrid for city driving, family use. Last diesel I drove was Focus 1.6 14 plate and was great and super quiet, but I wanted Toyota, :(

As regards the Auris, Toyota dropped the 2 litre diesel in, I think, late 2009, and continued with just the 1.4 until the 2nd generation facelift was launched in the Summer of 2015 - when the BMW sourced 1.6 diesel was introduced. Presumably they wanted to steer people towards the hybrid.

Good info as always Frosty!

Tonino

I guess better to get a non-Toyota diesel then

Certainly Jap cars are more reliable and Germans more solid - but there s always a compromise

I agree Ford diesel is a very good compromise: I had a 1.8 TDCI Focus and as they say the best value for money driving experience

Another compromise would be French cars, as they make the best diesels!

Apparently! :)

The problem with my case is that second gen Auris it's so bad designed and build car and with the combination of a Diesel engine became almost impossible to be use as a car for commuting or motorway driving for what actually supposed to be, people buys diesel when they cover a lot of miles, that means buying this car is like throwing your money in the bin. I never complain about the engine itself, even I think sounds right and pretty responsive for a 1.4 and 90bhp, but the vibrations, road and wind noise are over any limits. If you have never try one of this you can't understand what I am talking about. Very ironically I found a review on auto trader side from another owner I believe he has a petrol manual ang he complained exactly from the same issues. Vibrating pedals, seat and steering wheel on smooth road surface at cruising speed are unacceptable from any make or model. I ve lost few hundreds but people are losing much more , even some never realised that they drive a lemon. Also these cars are so bad that if you put them to test from health and safety they may not pass it. And yes you are right, Ford and Peugeot are much better diesel cars then this Toyota Auris 1.4 d, even my previous Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 3 cylinder wasn't that noisy and had no vibration at speed.

Here is the picture of the reviewer:

post-136224-0-90445700-1450426660_thumb.

Interesting

U right, I wouldn't know without driving one myself

Have u started a new thread on here to ask other Auris diesel owners experience?

• Like 1

Both my last Prius and my Auris came from you. Up until the service in Sept and through last winter I regularly got 50mpg and sometimes more on trips A55 to MCR airport. Since the service and re-programming/recall I can not better 47mpg. Last week 600 mile round trip all dual carriageway/motorway 47 mpg. OK so average speed was over 60 but it just appears to be significantly worse since the recall. Funny you think the Prius is is the same segment as the Avensis as my TS is bigger than either of my Priuses. I has to take an angle grinder to the pillars in my garage to get out the drivers door. The build quality on mine I think is excellent no, no squeaks or rattles and its as quiet as the Prius. It is far more practical. I tested the Merc C Estate and Focus diesel before I went for the Auris in Auto diesel the Merc was a dog. No space for a spare wheel. The Focus was not available as an Auto. The first Auris I drove was your petrol demo and I did not like it to drive and I am still convinced the Hybrids are faster than figures suggest.

PS although unrelated I hit a manhole cover in Broughton Village Last week captured on the Dashcam and is quite funny. I am trying to edit it down to post but currently its too big.

Tends to be the wheelbase size that governs which market segment a car is within. The current Prius and Avensis share the same wheelbase length (2700mm), whereas the Auris is shorter (2600mm). The 2016 Prius continues with the same size wheelbase.

I wonder what the issue was? I can't even hear the engine in my Yaris on the motorway over the road noise :lol:

• Like 1

Yeap road noise is enormous but there was a wind noise coming from the doors possibly and side mirrors, but the worst of all were the vibrations on the steering wheel and pedals. They were so much that even the rear view mirror was shaking so no clear picture when you look at:(

I am not a man that always been driving a Bentley or Mercedes S, so anything less would not be good. On the way to the dealer was driving a focus 1.6 diesel and no noise or vibrations at all. The issue can be unbalanced tyres, brake rotors, engine mounts, clutch and dual mass flywheel, gearbox bearings, however these vibrations were very specific and kind of two or more of above get together, or simply design flaw and poor assembly. One more thing to share with you regarding the vibrations, they were presented when driving slow on first or second gear without pressing the accelerator and let the engine move the car in low rpm , plenty of torque but vibrations with lower density and hum. I had noticed that on the first test drive and thought this is typical for diesel and will disappear with the speed , however didn't and became even worse. Once I ve reach 40mph the nightmare has begun .

Weird... if it was just the steering wheel I'd say wheels need balancing but I've never had vibrating pedals before! (I assume this wasn't some weird foot-massaging extra :lol:)

Wonder if an engine mount was loose or something? :unsure:

Yes, more then wired. It is possible unbalanced tyres to cause that but I was so frustrated and just wanted to leave the car back and run away, I couldn't imagine buying an approved car less then 3 years old with such a big problems and the worst of all was that dealers said that nothing wrong with it and possibly all Auris diesel are same, been normal,......really? I went for Toyota because don't want to go to garage every week for repairs, but I couldn't be more wrong. Unknown problems are always worst. Anyway back to the original post:

I drove the wife's Auris hybrid last night 200miles on motorway at 65mph average and 60 miles city done earlier total for the journey I achieved was 45mpg, not so good.

What is fuel consumption on long highway trip with speeds 130-160 km/h?

The maximum speed limit in the UK is 70mph (115kph).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links