Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Hybrid... Fuel Consumption During Winter

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

I have never thought I would get anywhere close to the official numbers - they are just for show - gained in "perfect conditions"... like a lab or a stand - with warm engine, (almost) no friction, no drag... In real everyday conditions, on cold days, when the ICE kicks in just to heat up to the desired temperature and in heavy traffic, where average speed is 15 km/h, anything above 50 MPG is a great mileage that I am thankful for! With my previous 1.6 vvt-i Auris, I couldn't get 50 mpg on a country road, driving like Miss Daisy, doing 90 km/h with no traffic! Now, I get this kind of mileage without breaking a sweat in heavy traffic (like I said - 15 km/h), cold weather - 5-6 °C and with occasional power bursts! So, guys... stop chasing those numbers... They are definitely reachable, but in the summer, with no traffic and careful driving. Believe it or not, I was once able to get 101 mpg!!! Yes! 101! Use a mpg to kml converter and you will see. That was a few days after I got the car, with very light traffic, for a trip of about 10 km from one side of the city, to the other, through the city center.

035775605-big.jpg

• Like 2

Love your dash layout plus touch screen - wish I had the same :(

• Like 1

So glad I read this post as I pick up an Auris HSD tomorrow and this will help me get the best from the car from the get go, looking forward to trying to getting the flashing "excellent" LOL

Good luck with the EXCELLENT!

I had my Auris for 3 months and its only ever flashed EXCELLENT at me once :(

But I guess I had never ever reached the official mpg of 72?!!!!

Best I got was 70.6 the other night,

But I cheated as I got 68 at home, so egged on by my kids to get 70, I drove around the block until it hit 70.6 - LOL

Ahahahaha! That's priceless! :lol:

You have officially joined the MPG OCD crew :lol:

???

Love your dash layout plus touch screen - wish I had the same :(

Love it too... :in_love:

so, all this talk about never achieving the official mileage. I achieved in excess of 72 in my gen 3 prius on many occasions. Admittedly, I had to wait until umtil i'd done about 40000 miles before getting there, but even for the first 10000 miles I was achieving 65.

But, the Auris averaging less than 60 in the first 3000 mile aint looking good.

Im a 12 year hybrid driver and really wish I had either stuck with the Prius or moved to one on the better looking alternatives.

Saying that, did get 72 mpg tonight on mt 12 mile commute, however, the same drive yesterday was only 56. its amazing what the traffic conditions and weather can make a difference. yesterday it was absolutly pelting it down with rain and everybody was drivig like an old granny.

• Like 1

None of you guys are saying what spec your Auris is. Even the official figs for the Icon is 8mpg better than the Excel. This is down to tires. So an Excel 46mpg Icon 54mpg. I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY with 50. Also nobody is saying if the recall had an affect on mpg? ?

None of you guys are saying what spec your Auris is. Even the official figs for the Icon is 8mpg better than the Excel. This is down to tires. So an Excel 46mpg Icon 54mpg. I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY with 50. Also nobody is saying if the recall had an affect on mpg? ?

Mine is:

2012 Mk1 Auris Hybrid

T-Spirit with 17" Wheels

Now with 17" All season Tyres (Michelin CrossClimate)

46,000miles

Think mine is 69mpg official (compared with 15" 72?) iirc

What recall?

so, all this talk about never achieving the official mileage. I achieved in excess of 72 in my gen

3 prius on many occasions. Admittedly, I had to wait until umtil i'd done about 40000 miles before getting there, but even for the first 10000 miles I was achieving 65.

But, the Auris averaging less than 60 in the first 3000 mile aint looking good.

Im a 12 year hybrid driver and really wish I had either stuck with the Prius or moved to one on the better looking alternatives.

Saying that, did get 72 mpg tonight on mt 12 mile commute, however, the same drive yesterday was only 56. its amazing what the traffic conditions and weather can make a difference. yesterday it was absolutly pelting it down with rain and everybody was drivig like an old granny.

All this and all the comments in this tread makes me find the answer of a very popular question:

"Why there is no Avensis Hybrid yet? "

With the existing drive train Toyota won't achieve fuel efficiency on a car different shape and weight then Prius. Let see how the new RAV4 hybrid will be.

50 mpg on average from an Auris it's acceptable for me anyway and very likely to buy one more for personal use.

2015 Auris HSD Excel on 17's - Dunlop Fastresponse

"Why there is no Avensis Hybrid yet? "

With the existing drive train Toyota won't achieve fuel efficiency on a car different shape and weight then Prius. Let see how the new RAV4 hybrid will be.

50 mpg on average from an Auris it's acceptable for me anyway and very likely to buy one more for personal use.

By 2020 Toyota plans to have Hybrid versions on all models.

By 2020 Toyota plans to have Hybrid versions on all models.

.............But probably not an Avensis. The Prius and Avensis are in the same segment and would compete with each other if there was a Hybrid Avensis. The will be a Hybrid in every model by 2020 but not if they compete for the same market, the Avensis may not exist in 2020 who knows??

2010 Auris Hybrid T-Spirit on 17" wheels with Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyres, 43000 miles on the clock, avg 50MPG.

post-136224-0-45964700-1449591396_thumb.

I have a brand new Auris Tourer Business Edition Hybrid, 300 miles on the clock, indicated MPG is 55. That is a mixture of A roads and a 14 mile blast on the A55/483 dual carriageway

Strangely enough, my old Tourer Diesel 1.4 did exactly the same :lol:

I have said it a hundred times on here before, we all drive differently and in different conditions/road types, there will be differences in the average MPg's

• Like 1

.............But probably not an Avensis. The Prius and Avensis are in the same segment and would compete with each other if there was a Hybrid Avensis. The will be a Hybrid in every model by 2020 but not if they compete for the same market, the Avensis may not exist in 2020 who knows??

You might be right - Avensis might not exist anymore, but that's what I read in a Bulgarian website...

...the goal is in 2020, all brand models to have hybrid versions.

Correct, the biggest advantage of Hybrid over diesel powered car is the way the hybrid drives in town because of the automatic cvt transmission, reliability and running costs. Non diesel equivalent can be so reliable and cheap to maintain. If you about an automatic car there is nothing better then hybrid ones. Also well maintained hybrid Toyota will not decrease its fuel consumption and increase emissions with the normal use in the time, and diesel ones are horrible after 4th 5th year of use or 80-90k miles. I am looking to buy a diesel car for my long motorway commute and every time I drove my wife's Auris I am in doubt shall I really buy a diesel or just get one more hybrid.

...shall I really buy a diesel or just get one more hybrid.

Just get another hybrid! Even if the diesel performs slightly better MPG-wise on the highway, the hybrid's fuel economy in town, plus the cheaper and easier maintenance, make it more cost efficient to drive a hybrid.
  • Like 1

Or get a Tesla if u can afford it ;)

It is even less cost effective than a diesel... :dontgetit: With a purchase price of almost € 73000, it costs as much as three Auris(es?)... In Germany and in Bulgaria, the price of the Executive trim is €26690... Do you have ANY idea how much gas can you buy for the remaining € 46000...? :crazy:

It is even less cost effective than a diesel... :dontgetit: With a purchase price of almost € 73000, it costs as much as three Auris(es?)... In Germany and in Bulgaria, the price of the Executive trim is €26690... Do you have ANY idea how much gas can you buy for the remaining € 46000...? :crazy:

Lol

I was pulling his leg!

Lol

I was pulling his leg!

But but but it has AWD and can 0-60 in 2.8 seconds :D

Heeey, it could be your normal commuting car AND your weekend hooning car :naughty: :D

Lol

I was pulling his leg!

But but but it has AWD and can 0-60 in 2.8 seconds :D

Heeey, it could be your normal commuting car AND your weekend hooning car :naughty: :D

The latest Tesla is awesome! :)

€ 23700 for an Auris HSD + € 30 700 for a GT86 = a fuel efficient daily driver + a fun weekend hooning car + € 19000 "spare change"... :spiteful: Tesla...? Thanks, but no...thanks! :goof:

Too expensive for normal working people imo

Auris will do the job but tesla is on the list for when I win the lottery 😀😎🚗

Now I am renting cars to go to work and to test drive them, had an Peugeot 308 now Ford Focus and both are horrible machines. Focus is slightly better and despite its brand new I won't take it over my 5 years old Toyota. Did try vw Jetta 1.6 from car giant and was absolute rubbish, nice car but not nice to drive, super sluggish. Got letter today from Toyota another recall for Auris Hybrid first gen. Something wrong with the electric windows switch. Does anyone got same letter?

• Like 1

By that reasoning, you could also get a Mk1 Yaris D4D like mine! Bullet proof, fun to drive, has a cool dash, can drive to the moon and back on one tank (Well, not during this time of year apparently :crybaby:) and can probably be had for around £3k by now :D :naughty:

• Like 1

We are only comparing brand new and ecological cars from the dealer...Otherwise, I am sure you can get an old VAZ/Lada on LPG for like 300 quids :Jumpy: :lol2:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links