Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Been Standing, Soft Brake Pedal.

Tricky1138

Went to look at at 2002 Rav4 petrol VX today.

All looks ok but its been standing for 4-5 months. Guy says he starts it every other week but not sure if he ever moved it.

Disks are very rusty which I expected and should clean up with use, but brake pedal felt soft and spongy. Is that just because of it standing, the rusty brakes, or something more serious?

Everything else is good on it. Thats the only thing putting me off.

Thanks.

when was the brake fluid changed?

I dont know. Thats my first job. Just checking its not something serious.

Standing around for 4-5 months is not a problem for modern cars as such - as I used to SORN my classics cars for 6-9 months and I only bi-monthly start it up - but I do drive her a few yards just to get things moving/oiled....

If I had to NOT move the car for that long - then its:

1. Handbrakes OFF (in case they seized)

2. All wheels off (as sat around that long not good on tyres)

3. Battery out (but I do keep mine on a 24/7 trickle charge car charger)

So if the Rav4 been fired up - then at least the engine should be well-oiled (I am NOT saying that its all working fine)

U have driven it - Have u?

Or just sat in it and pushed brake pedal?

Spongy and soft - maybe air in the system - and if sat that long and not known when brake fluid was changed - I would use that as part of the negotiations on price

Yes - rusty brake discs are fine (unless seriously corroded or lipped or worn thin)

Any pics?

Or feedback from test drive?

Yes I've taken for a test drive but as it was sorn it was only up and down the back streets a few times.

No other problems that i can see other than the brakes binding so on the drive ir was hard to tell what the pedal really felt like as the brakes were still binding.

Its just when I stopped back at the sellers house did I notice that it felt spongy. And pressing it a few times confimed it.

Hasn't put me off car, so off to have second look today.

Yes I've taken for a test drive but as it was sorn it was only up and down the back streets a few times.

No other problems that i can see other than the brakes binding so on the drive ir was hard to tell what the pedal really felt like as the brakes were still binding.

Its just when I stopped back at the sellers house did I notice that it felt spongy. And pressing it a few times confimed it.

Hasn't put me off car, so off to have second look today.

Cool

In that case go over with a fine-toothbrush and use as negotiation!

Check all works

electrics

air con

rust (underneath)

any water marks / leaks inside (esp if got sun roof, boot well)

No mayo in oil cap, or thick black sludge in dip stick, no oil leaks on engine....

Tyres are all good ( no bulging walls, cracks - if u can check the inside of the tyres too - as TWICE i bought cars with inside SPLIT!)

Drive in all gears (if possible as SORN), stereo off, fan off, windows down and listen for sounds, engine ticking over ok, no obvious damage/repair - usual stuff

Ok, checked everything over and all looked ok. Brake pedal goes hard when pumping with engine off so convinced master cylinder is ok and just needs fluid changing.

So I bought it! :-)

20151121_141942_zps2tsclnrv.jpg

And now I've broke it! Bought privately so no come back.

Driving to mates last night got a loud knocking noise from offside rear. Gets faster with speed rather than revs. Thought it was just the brakes as they were sticking but it got louder so now convinced it might be something more serious.

Drove back home and strangely noise disappeared. But went out later and noise came back.

As said its like a loud thumping noise but rotational if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?

Congrats! :band:

That's the model year I love too! :drool:

And, oh :( :jawdrop:

Just bear in mind there is a master and a slave cylinder - both mine went at different times in previous car (Slave cylinder when clutching was a bit sticking and difficult to change gears, master cylinder when the clutch just dropped dead like a ton of concrete to the floor) - but hopefully yours just need a change of brake fluid - if u not doing it yourself, just make sure u show the garage the problem before they commence the work, AND check that its fixed when u pick up the car again :thumbsup:

Not sure ref the off side rear noise - sounds like major component gone (axle related?) or something loose -best to check it out quick too!

PS: Bought from a trader? Guess not noticed this sound when u test drove?

actually ref knocking noise.....I had the same with a previous car, but it was from nearer the engine/front-wheel - I can't remember what it was again.........was it a CV joint or something? Its like a piece of lose metal dangling inside something and and just knocks about...more obvious for me when I move off, but sort of hard to hear when at speed and on flat - was quoted all inclusive £100 from a garage.....but yours sounds slightly different to mine - so hopefully someone will chip in and help.....

Ok, checked everything over and all looked ok. Brake pedal goes hard when pumping with engine off so convinced master cylinder is ok and just needs fluid changing.

Driving to mates last night got a loud knocking noise from offside rear. Gets faster with speed rather than revs. Thought it was just the brakes as they were sticking but it got louder so now convinced it might be something more serious.

Drove back home and strangely noise disappeared. But went out later and noise came back.

Any ideas?

It sounds real bad to me. If you like i can get a mate of mine down there to come down and tow it away, give you £200 for it.

Any ideas?

It sounds real bad to me. If you like i can get a mate of mine down there to come down and tow it away, give you £200 for it.

with a £1000 non-refundable deposit!!!

u vulture, Tom! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

@ Wayne2015 (canny click on quote becos I'm on my Windows 7 machine)

SSSSSShhhhhhhh, Tricky might hear you.

Actually Yorkshire isn't that far from Durham, right? So how'd you fancy throwing a rope on it and bring it over to Scotch Corner. Couple of mells on the rear hub with the 14lb hammer and she'll be right mate, run 'er through the car market, bid for it myself the first few times and job done.

Does 50-50 sound OK?

Actually Yorkshire isn't that far from Durham, right? So how'd you fancy throwing a rope on it and bring it over to Scotch Corner. Couple of mells on the rear hub with the 14lb hammer and she'll be right mate, run 'er through the car market, bid for it myself the first few times and job done.

Does 50-50 sound OK?

Sure

How long u willing to wait for my HYBRID Auris to drag it over 'north-hilly-uphill-against-wind' for ya?

A couple of weeks and I should be there.....will torpedoed my respectable MPG that I have gather so far u know....

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does 50-50 sound OK?

Sure

How long u willing to wait for my HYBRID Auris to drag it over 'north-hilly-uphill-against-wind' for ya?

A couple of weeks and I should be there.....will torpedoed my respectable MPG that I have gather so far u know....

Aye, forgot about that. Might be better getting Cyker, at least he's got a 1 litre Yaris. Any idea if he lives nr Durham?

Glad to see this forum has its many wonderful characters too. (I thought I'd be polite this time! Lol)

Had the car up on the ramp today and been round it with a fine tooth comb. Looks like the noise was the handbrake shoes sticking on caused by knackered cable! So freed off and no nasty noises now!

Thats what you get for leaving the hand brake on for 4 months!

Needs new front disks and pads too. Any recommendations?

So hopefully all good. No bidding necessary!

• Like 1

Glad to see this forum has its many wonderful characters too. (I thought I'd be polite this time! Lol)

Had the car up on the ramp today and been round it with a fine tooth comb. Looks like the noise was the handbrake shoes sticking on caused by knackered cable! So freed off and no nasty noises now!

Thats what you get for leaving the hand brake on for 4 months!

Needs new front disks and pads too. Any recommendations?

So hopefully all good. No bidding necessary!

As said before "I always leave my handbrake off when sorn" :) :) :)

Well done bud - least cheaper fix than initial thought then :)

Hopefully someone will add ref disc/pad recommendations...

@Tom

Your loss - now u will need to offer £5k for it (am sure it will include free delivery at that price now - lol)

"Needs new front disks and pads too. Any recommendations?"

I used MTEC on my last Avensis albeit I went with grooved only rather than grooved & drilled (+ black edition which kept the hub from getting rusty, they also do silver & gold).

I used Ferodo Premier pads (not the cheapest & many other people use Mintex) but it seemed a good combo - better feel & stopping than the oem Avensis set up.

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/toyota/rav-4-ii-00-05.html

I see ECP do Brembo disks and pads for fairly cheap so probably going down that route.

Yeah I'll deliver it for free if you gave me £5k for it but dont think you want this one! lol.

Now onto the next problem for this lemon that I've bought! :(

Went to drive to work today and the bl00dy clutch started slipping! :dontgetit:

Now not happy at all! I've heard its a big job from what I've just spoken to my friendly mechanic.

Any recommendations for what clutch to go for and if anyone knows somewhere cheap near Durham to get this done?

Any ideas of cost to get this done? This car is going to end up costing me a fortune! :mad2:

I see ECP do Brembo disks and pads for fairly cheap so probably going down that route.

Yeah I'll deliver it for free if you gave me £5k for it but dont think you want this one! lol.

Now not happy at all! I've heard its a big job from what I've just spoken to my friendly mechanic.

Any recommendations for what clutch to go for and if anyone knows somewhere cheap near Durham to get this done?

Any ideas of cost to get this done? This car is going to end up costing me a fortune! :mad2:

Wow - and the problems seem to appear ONE DAY after u bought it - eeek! :fear::eek:

If it makes u feel better, I bought a £2.5k car once, it broke down on the return trip and then I poured £4k into it and then sold for less than £2k within 6 months? :( :( :(

U sure u don't want to keep costs down by going for cheaper parts like Pagid brakes (rather than Brembo) etc?

I am sure they do the job fine - but obviously not as exciting as Brembo s :)

Yes clutch will be a bit pricey and clutch job for any car will be laborious enough ....

Think was watching Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers and they bought a Scooby that needed a new clutch and to fit clutch it needed the whole engine out I think... :fear::eek:

Wow - and the problems seem to appear ONE DAY after u bought it - eeek! :fear::eek:

If it makes u feel better, I bought a £2.5k car once, it broke down on the return trip and then I poured £4k into it and then sold for less than £2k within 6 months? :( :( :(

U sure u don't want to keep costs down by going for cheaper parts like Pagid brakes (rather than Brembo) etc?

I am sure they do the job fine - but obviously not as exciting as Brembo s :)

Yes clutch will be a bit pricey and clutch job for any car will be laborious enough ....

Think was watching Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers and they bought a Scooby that needed a new clutch and to fit clutch it needed the whole engine out I think... :fear::eek:

Yeah will probably go down the Pagid or Mintex road. Was just looking at Brembo before clutch went!

And thats not good Wayne, loosing over 4.5k in 6 months - however just think how much people loose when they buy a new car and drive it off the forecourt!

I do think all these problems are with the car standing so hopefully all will be well after this! :disgust:

• Like 1

Oh Richard you’re taking me back to when I used to buy bangers to sort up out of financial necessity. I bought a Cortina 1600 estate once with a knackered engine. I had a good 1300 engine lying so I fitted that to the Cortina while I got the 1600 rebored, crank ground and valves done etc. once it was ready swopped engines again and was back on the road. The 1300 engine ended up later in a Capri I bought for my eldest daughter. Trouble is it’s hardly worthwhile trying to do this kind of stuff today with the price of spares – even an engine gasket set can run you a few hundred quid (Honda V6).
So all told, lashings of sympathy and all that but my offer of £200 still stands, in fact if you put in a new clutch I’ll make it £250. Might be better to cut your losses, especially when you read that post about rear axle lockup

So all told, lashings of sympathy and all that but my offer of £200 still stands, in fact if you put in a new clutch I’ll make it £250. Might be better to cut your losses, especially when you read that post about rear axle lockup

Respect there Tom, just for the persistency! :thumbsup: