Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beep,beep,beep Reverse Annoyance, Anyone Have A Carista Compatible Obd

Drpepper99uk

Hi,

As per the title, I have tried a ELM327 adapter which I bought for £4 off eBay which works over bluetooth and the Carista app connects to it, but upon trying to turn off the reverse beep it says that I either have a fake or incompatible device, so I can only use the adapter to read fault codes nothing more. I see that there is a Carista branded adapter you can buy for £30 off Amazon UK, but i'm unsure if this will turn off the reverse beep and it seems like a lot to spend out on not including upgrading the app for more money to actually change things on the car itself.....however i'm guessing Toyota UK would charge just as much to change this setting.

Does anyone else have a compatible adapter which works with Carista to turn off the reverse beep to a single beep I could borrow and return back to you? I did find a app called Prius Tweek, but I can't work out how to use it with the ELM327 adapter as it connects, shows several options which you can tick or untick, but it don't appear to work. All I really want to do is turn off the annoying beeping, not to fussed about any other settings.

I've attached a screenshot of the message shown on the Carista app.

Mike.

post-151063-0-32860800-1448117357_thumb.

A Scanguage 2 can do it. Or you can always ask MrT. You could be pleasantly surprised. Or they might do it at the next service.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get this sorted out in the end by someone local with a Carista adapter- they earned themselves £10 and I now enjoy the quietness when in reverse...I drive a fork lift truck for work and have the beeping all day long 8, sometimes 12 hours a day I don't expect to have to endure it when it's 10 o'clock at night and reversing out of the work car park to get home lol.

It's made a difference in the short time since it's been changed, so i'm happy :D

Mike.

You're lucky it's not a Gen 2 Prius - there was no way of turning that off (well, not without wire cutters)!

I've gotten used to it on mine now, I don't even notice it TBH.

• Like 1

Weird one this one, my 2010 Gen 3 Prius beeps in reverse as expected but the beeps increase in speed as any objects get nearer. My wife's 2012 Auris on the other hand beeps at a constant rate when in reverse, both cars have the rear view camera too. I much prefer the distance-based beeping, at least it's useful!

That sounds as though you have rear facing proximity sensors fitted. Have you looked? If you have them there will normally be four circular "buttons" about 2 cm diameter, spread along the rear bumper. They will emit a bleeping sound as you reverse the car towards an obstruction. The frequency of the bleep will rise as the obstruction gets closer and will become a continuous tone when the obstruction is about 30 cm from a sensor.

The Prius has definitely got the rear sensors, I've never bothered to look closely at the Auris though! My mission tomorrow if the weather holds out ;-)

Bit confused here - is the OP referring to rear parking sensors, or the constant beeping that occurs when in reverse gear?

If it's the latter then this can be switched off (except for one initial warning beep) by a Mr.T dealer - at least mine was. An audible external beeping would be handy though to warn those pedestrians that wait until my reversing light is on before wandering across close behind me!

Agree with Valmiki above - parking sensor beeping is (very) useful.

I'm assuming mine has already been turned off when I bought it (was franchise MD's for 9 months) as it beeps twice when I put it into reverse and then just the parking sensors.

It seems pretty clear that Valmiki is confusing the signals from two different devices. He's hearing the signals from the proximity sensors on the Prius and the "reverse engaged" signal on his wife's car. Two entirely different devices and both behaving normally.

agreed. IMHO if you have rear sensors it's worth getting the "I'm in reverse" beep switched off either by the dealer or using an OBD device.

I had front and rear sensors fitted to my Prius before delivery, and asked the dealer to switch off the standard beep, which they were happy to do.

When I drove some Gen 2 Prius (some 60,000 miles) I never stopped being annoyed by the beep, but couldn't use the wire cutter technique as I didn't own them. I generally don't even have the audio system on because I relish the tranquility inside a Prius.

The opposite to my younger days (1970s) when apart from different tastes, I needed a solid stereo to drown out the engine, wind and road noise that was the norm in those days!

A replacement bulb for the reversing light with a sounderis available which makes a beep when it is illuminated.

He could have all three sounding at once.

A replacement bulb for the reversing light with a sounderis available which makes a beep when it is illuminated.

He could have all three sounding at once.

Yikes - and I want to burst my eardrums when I hear the horrible cheap tinny indicator click they seem to be using now (last few Toyotas I've been lent)

- heck, hope the Gen 4 Prius doesn't get that!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but does the O P know what type of adaptor worked for the Prius with Carista? 

I've got a 2017 Aygo and can't get Carista to work using mine or my friend's cheapo ELM327 adaptor (both worked fine in my old Civic) 

I get a similar error message come up and am happy to spend a bit of cash to get a new BT adaptor that will definitely work but don't want to waste money!