Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Mpg Do People Get On Their T27 Estate?

thaiad24

Hi

I used to have a 2006 saloon 2.2 t spirit which did on average about 47 mpg

I upgraded to a 60 plate T27 t spirit 2.2 estate and im getting 36mpg

my driving style is the same, i know the weight of the car has increased but should that really mean a decrease in 10mpg+ given that its a newer car?

what can I do to get the MPG up to where its supposed to be? i was thinking of getting a full service from Toyota but its expensive for what could be a straight forward issue

im not good under the bonnet so any advice i get i will pass on to a mechanic to do

cheers

Without the details of each vehicle engine I think it will be difficult for anyone to offer any suggestions as each engine type in particular has it's own peculiarities. The T Spirit came in both petrol and diesel variants in 2006 and I think later ones even had two diesel engines available.

I'm pretty sure there are different power outputs available for the 2.2 diesel, and there are versions with/without dpf filters. Perhaps this makes a huge difference?

You need to tell us what transmission & which exact engine (also where & how you drive has an effect too).

I had a 57 plate T25 2.2 TR Tourer with a manual transmission & now have a 61 plate 2.2 T27 (facelift) 2.2 T Spirit Tourer manual.

The T27 doesn't do quite the same mpg for me but it's close & it has a DPF whereas the T25 did not. Also it's probably a heavier car. I currently get ~45mpg in mixed motoring during the summer in & in the winter it drops down to ~42mpg.

Is your car a D-CAT? Possibly also an auto transmission? 36mpg is about what I would expect you to get out of 1 of those.

• 2 weeks later...

My two penneth worth, over 10000 miles i have averaged 46.2, calculated from fuel put in and miles covered, not the car computer.

This included two round trips to pyrenees (approx 750 miles each way) at 130kph and drving round east anglia and getting stuck in cambridge traffic

2013 2.0 d4d t27 tourer

anyone really know how big the tank is?

60l. Bear in mind that the range counts down to a reserve of 9-10l & not to empty.

Heidfirst

thanks for that, explains why i can never get more than 50l when it says 0 range. is it documented anywhere?

The 60l tank is certainly documented. I don't know about the reserve being documented (it probably is somewhere) but there is plenty of anecdotal/user experience on here.

My 2012 T27 Estate 2.0 D4D was doing 50 mpg but has dropped to 45 mpg now the weather has gone cold

well im still getting about 36 mpg

60 plate 2.2 T27

so i guess my question is, will a full service help or will cleaning the egr etc... work?

the car ir running fine its just the mpg that seems to be low

you still haven't said if it's a D-CAT & an auto. If it is, that's what I would expect you to get (thirstiest engine variant & transmission).

I have 2.2 D-Cat 180 manual wagon. My mpg has just dropped to 44.1 & did not drop below 42 last winter. I use 2 stroke additive (have done for years) I dont do a lot of m/way but dont do short stop/start runs either, always up to temp (gauge)

The best I had in the summer was 47.8 on a 560m trip. I also blank grill (november-march) for quicker warm up & never had a problem,even on long runs.

sorry its a d-cat manual

possibly a bit low for a D-CAT manual imo (albeit Honest John's Real MPG has 2.2. D-CAT Tourer at 34.6 but doesn't state transmission type) but not by much. The D-CAT is known to be a good bit thirstier.

Obviously the type of driving mix that you do, your own driving style & now the colder weather all have an effect

49-50mpg Summer, 46-47 in Winter, on a 11 plate 2.2 d4d. I do drive with economy in mind, on quiet rural roads. Best run was 55mpg returning from Wales to East Anglia, steady 6-70 mph all the way. It seems to drink fuel with stop-start urban driving: maybe due to the weight?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jules, I suspect that stop start driving will trigger more frequent regeneration of the dpf as well as being inherently less economical. I don't know exactly how much fuel the dpf uses, but the 4 year average for my t25 estate is 51.4, and I just did a round trip of 500 miles this week at 54.5. My regular driving is extra urban and I am averaging 52 to 53. Having said that, if I overtook anything it would probably be on the local news! Too many opportunities to be smudged by a "safety" camera these days.

I have an 09 2.2 T4 DCAT Estate (180). Haven't been able to get it above 38mpg in the three years I've owned it. Tried everything including fuel additives, EGR and surrounding pipes declogged, K&N panel filter fitted and regularly serviced. Everything I've done has made the car more responsive but did little to increase the MPG. It does my head in as my wifes 05 2.0 Avensis with a DPT box fitted gets almost 60mpg!

Then I put the foot down to pull onto a motorway and I remember why I bought the car in the first place...3rd & 4th gear in the 180 is worth the low MPG!

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, like DPS10 above. I have a 60 Plate 2.2 T4 DCAT Estate and it pretty much never goes over 39 Mpg. Had the dealer look at it because it doesn't seem right that even driving economically on long motorway journeys it doesn't change. The dealer said they 'reset the ECU' but it soon went back to 39.9mpg. This is the worst thing about the car for me, if anyone has any suggestions (havent tried Redex or 2-stroke) then please suggest away! 

some people managed to get better mpg out of D-CATs using chip tuning boxes (like the Lindop one) but assuming a 10-15% improvement it takes a few thousand pounds worth of fuel to recover the couple hundred pounds of cost for those (even before considering a potential insurance premium increase).

Certainly on my non-D-CAT mpg can vary tremendously according to how/where/when driven - I've seen under 30 (for a v. short journey from cold start) to the upper 50s (warm start, straight onto motorway network, 100+ miles & then destination just off motorway).

Yep, thing is with mine - it never flucuates. Short trips or long journeys seem to make pretty much no difference!

Are the 'chip tuning boxes' you speak of the ECU chips? I considered this on previous VWs I had....

well, they are piggback boxes as up until very recently the encryption on the Denso ECUs was uncracked (& the initial reports suggest that they haven't yet perfected the programming to flash to the Denso ECUs & improve things).

Also, are you checking your mpg manually or just relying on the trip computer?

Sounds like something I shouldn't mess with really. 

I am just going by the trip computer, not manually calculated it. I dont think it will be too different as it does eat fuel a fair bit!

thanks for all the replies, im still getting an average of 36mpg thats 10mpg less than my 06 plate 2.2 saloon was getting

now that fuel is £1 per litre its pretty easy to calculate my actual MPG, im gonna put 45.5L (10 gallons) into the car when i next fill up and then reset the trip computer to zero, once the fuel runs out im gonna check how many miles ive actually done and then divide by 10, i will let you know the results : )

Good call, I'll do the same and we can compare :)