Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remote Lock Stopped Working - Then Started Working Again.

oldie68

Yaris Mk2, 2010, French

Earlier today I went out to the car, and unlocked it using the remote control, but when I tried to lock it again, nothing happened. So I locked it using the door lock, and went for the spare.This unlocked the car successfully, but again wouldn't lock it. So apparently not a Battery problem, nor a key one.

An hour later, I had to put something in the boot. I unlocked the car with the remote, and decided to try to lock it using the remote - and it worked. As did the spare.

This is an ordinary suburban street; there's a mobile phone repeater (as I think they're called) a couple of hundred yards away, but it's been there for years.

Could it be the receiver in the car about to fail, or is it nothing to worry about?

The car's just out of warranty, but I have an extended warranty. If it's the receiver, would it be covered? If not, does anyone have an idea of the likely cost?

The remote batteries are the most likely cause, they are 3V and as soon as the voltage dips, they misbehave. Try a new remote Battery first before worrying too much

Thanks for the replies :

Parts-King, Isn't it unlikely to be the batteries, given that both keys firstly wouldn't work, and then an hour later did work? However, I'll have a look to see how easy they are to replace, and if it looks like something I can do, I'll change them - but with a couple of days between them. Wouldn't the "rolling code" be affected, I think the Yaris uses them.

Frostyballs, a very interesting thread, it seems to come down to "it happens". Luckily, it's something where there's a backup procedure - put the key in the lock.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links