Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Celica Gt Convertible Problems. Help Please

Rich.111

Hi and thank you if anyone replies.

I am looking at getting my fathers car repaired or at least hints and tips while he is away.

the issues i have are the following:

Leaking roof - through the rear glass window

the roof struggles to close half way - motor works but gets stuck half way when closing. same when manually doing the same. seems to be sticking somewhere at the elbow of the hinge but cant seem to see the issue

brakes - pass MOT but feel far too spongy. tried bleeding. is there any places that can put some kind of high pressure or a blue fluid through so we can locate any leaks? or any hints and tips for common problems and to fix this such as braided hoses?

exhaust - when the back box started to blow we found we struggled to find standard parts that would fit as apparently are slightly different to the non convertible and was cheaper getting the whole system made up from scratch. has anyone else found this?

just wondering if you can offer help in the following:

recommendations of where to find parts

who to do the work

how much for both parts and labour

any other webistes you think may help.

I know it sounds like a lot but apart from these issues, its a great car and would like to investigate what options are out there

Thanks again

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

For bleeding the brakes, Gunson Easi-Bleed. It uses spare tyres to pressure bleed the system via a connection to the reservoir. If there are no obvious leaks then the fluid must need changing due to age. Depends how long the fluid was last changed.

For bleeding the brakes, Gunson Easi-Bleed. It uses spare tyres to pressure bleed the system via a connection to the reservoir. If there are no obvious leaks then the fluid must need changing due to age. Depends how long the fluid was last changed.

thanks for your reply. ill give that a go

• 3 months later...

Rear window leak on my '98 GT Convertible turned out to be the glass detaching from the canvas panel. The glass would sag a bit and catch on the rear seat when the roof was lowered (if you let it continue to do that, it'll snag completely and BREAK THE GLASS). The rear hood section with glass fitted is available from convertible roof installers (eg Car Hood Warehouse), but not cheap, nor easy to fit. Perhaps the glass can be reattached and resealed using some sort of silicon window sealer???. Good luck!