Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Brake Disc Wear

4DRIVER

Hi,

My wife's 4 year old Aygo has just been MOT's and has a red "immediate action" warning for front discs "excessively lipped and corroded on outer edges."

Cost of parts is £200 plus fitting!

Car is just 4 years old and still under warranty.

Its covered 18,000 miles, original brake pads still in and has daily light use.

Apparently not covered by new car warranty?

It's apparently a common problem?

I'm a big Toyota fan - the family has 5 - but????

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Brake discs have been classed as wear and tear items for a number of years, and coverage for brake discs under any manufacturer's new car warranty is time or mileage limited.

For example the son of my next door neighbour had the front discs on his 11 reg VW Polo replaced due to blueing (overheating) at six months/11,000 miles. Similar damage was evident on the replacement discs at the second service, but were outside the new car warranty coverage, and these were replaced at his cost. His subsequent 63 reg Polo has not had the same issue.

Under Toyota's Fixed Price Repair scheme, replacement front discs and pads costs £195 inclusive - see. https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/repairs.json

So if it is a Toyota dealer who has quoted £200 plus fitting, go back to them and query the cost.

As above, the fixed price promise on Aygo is £195 INC of parts labour and VAT

Your dealer is correct, it is a wear and tear item and not covered under warranty

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Hard to believe that it's normal for the discs on a new Toyota car, to wear out faster than the brake pads!

It seems from your description that corrosion is the main issue - and this can happen whoever the vehicle manufacturer is.

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Hard to believe that it's normal for the discs on a new Toyota car, to wear out faster than the brake pads!

The reason is that you aren't doing enough driving (only 4.5k per annum) thereby allowing surface corrosion to get a deeper grip.

Would also happen on Citroen C1 & Peugeot 107/108 seeing as they are the same car & lots & lots of others too.

• 4 weeks later...

if you have an auto model i believe they are harder on discs than a manual

you could also go down to demon tweeks as they will supply and fit for you

here is their address

Demon Tweeks
75 Ash Road South
Wrexham Industrial Estate
Wrexham
North Wales
LL13 9UG

Isn't this sort of thing normal? Every car I've ever driven has had a couple mm or so of corrosion on the outer edge because the brake pads don't cover the whole surface of the disc.

If the rust band is wider than say a cm tho' that means either the wrong pads are on or they're not centred properly.

Lipping itself is not a problem, but it is an indicator that the discs might be worn and need replacement, but you check that by measuring the thickness of the disc - The lipping itself does not necessarily mean the disc is too thin as rust swells out.

To clear surface rust, just take the car on a hoon on a twisty road with lots of braking zones; That'll clear it soon enough!

(I'll need to do that to mine soon as the poor thing hasn't been used for most of xmas and the wind has blown loads of rain onto one of the discs so I'm going to have to be more careful!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our aygo after 36000Km needed disc and pad change since it was heavily corroded and lipped. The car was 6 year old then. Rust was the main culprit and when I removed the old disc, I noticed that the edges just crumbled when I pressed with my fingers. These discs are made of "chalk" as some one once said. I bought the German Zimmerman discs and minto pads and replaced them myself. Total cost 70 pounds. They still look great, second year running! Buy some quality discs this time and you will be fine for some years.

• 1 month later...

My Aygo Fire needed new discs and Pads at its first MOT, 24400 miles.

No corrosion was mentioned to me though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links