Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calculated Range While Using Ev Only

Rubb

Hi all!

I bought my first hybrid car (a 2013 Auris) a few months ago and I am very happy with it, but also have a few questions about it - sorry if those are "amateurish".

So first of all, I noticed that the onboard computer's calculated range is steadily decreasing even when I am driving EV only for miles, only using the electric motor (supported by the computer's detailed consumption screen which shows 0 fuel consumption for the past 15 minutes). Why is that? Isn't the range supposed to be fix when I am using EV only (since I am not consuming any petrol)?

Another thing is that I have noticed that the range calculation is pretty weird - last time it told me that I have 2 kilometer's range left, but at the petrol station I could only fill 35 litres into the (supposedly) 45 litre tank. This means that in reality I had more than 150 kilometers' worth of fuel when the range meter said that I'm all out - or is there something I am misunderstanding?

Thanks for your help!

Don't have a hybrid so only guessing - you aren't using petrol but you are using energy. & to restore that energy to the Battery will take petrol so the range will decrease comensurately.

The range counts down to a reserve, not to empty. That reserve is typically ~9-10 litres. It's typical Toyota caution.

Yes, that actually crossed my mind as well (using the fuel to recharge the battery), but it has other means to do it as well - for example utilizing the energy from braking which is pretty significant if you are going downhill for a long period of time. If the EV mode does not "add" to the range or decrease the actual fuel consumption, then it would be pretty redundant. This is why I think its maybe something else, or I should interpret the range differently than I did with my previous non-hybrid cars.

I think that the range is calculated by using the average MPG for the current tank of fuel. So although you are using EV mode the average MPG will be recalculated and therefore the range will be adjusted.