Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Combing Rattle

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

My Yaris seems to have developed a rattle on the combing over the instrument cluster! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy this? If I put a firm hold on it, it seems to stop.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact the car was so quiet! :P

Thanks in advance! :)

I've got a suggestion; call it the coaming. unless it really is a combing in which case its teeth might be chattering :blow: :blow: :blow:

My Auris rattles and squeaks worst than the 25year old convertible I had - eeeek!

Recently my son noticed the cover below the glove box is lose too :(

Could it be when Toyota replaced the cabin filter it wasn't refitted proper???

• Like 1

I've got a suggestion; call it the coaming. unless it really is a combing in which case its teeth might be chattering :blow: :blow: :blow:

Uhhh... I knew it looked wrong... :D

Seeing as the car doesn't have a combing then I guess there is no problem! :D

It seems to be temperature related, as it didn't do it yesterday or today. If it's intermittent I can live with it.

Autocorrect make you write things you didn't Nintendo..

• Like 1

My Auris rattles and squeaks worst than the 25year old convertible I had - eeeek!

Recently my son noticed the cover below the glove box is lose too :(

Could it be when Toyota replaced the cabin filter it wasn't refitted proper???

I was just going to post to ask if anyone else has a rattley Auris Hybrid and what do you know? I am not sure if mine rattles more now than when I first got it, or whether I am just more tuned in to it. I think the rattle is coming from the console area between the front seats but it is hard to localise. I also think it is road surface dependant more than anything else, as though a resonance is being excited in the handbrake cable or perhaps a power cable. It is VERY annoying in an otherwise quiet car. :nono:

I've got a suggestion; call it the coaming.

I'd never heard of it so i looked it up.

Coaming is any vertical surface on a ship designed to deflect or prevent entry of water. It usually refers to raised section of deck plating around an opening, such as a hatch. Coamings also provide a frame onto which to fit a hatch cover.

I'm not convinced that is the right word for it either!

Cowling ?

That was my next guess, but then google and Websters told me it meant "a removable metal covering that houses the engine and sometimes a part of the fuselage or nacelle of an airplane; also : a metal cover for an engine"

So, I remain unsure.

.... 'instrument cowl', instrument binnacle', 'instrument housing', .........

• Like 1

I am usually succesful with trim rattles, by giving a good squirt of silicone lub (Halfords) around the possible movement surfaces

all the best.....or maybe a Lexus?

I am usually succesful with trim rattles, by giving a good squirt of silicone lub (Halfords) around the possible movement surfaces

all the best.....or maybe a Lexus?

Sounds good for a squeak, but not necessarily a rattle.

I would caution against being over zealous with silicone spays, however. Silicone sprays are known to be an electronics killer. They get into connectors and can break the connections. The finer the connector, the more likely there is to be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to have disappeared. One thing I found early on was where the noise sounds to be isn't the source. I emptied the car of everything and it hasn't returned, so I can only assume it was something else rattling!

• Like 1

It seems to have disappeared. One thing I found early on was where the noise sounds to be isn't the source. I emptied the car of everything and it hasn't returned, so I can only assume it was something else rattling!

I gave it a go today. Pulled everything out of the car. Emptied the boot of even the safety equipment. Still rattles :bangin:

I think it is less after the recent service (1 week before Xmas).

The handbrake cable is particularly slack on these cars. It used to be a requirement to engage the brake after 3-4 clicks but these are specified at 6-9 clicks, which to my mind means the handbrake cable is able to flap around more.

(EDITED to correct the brake travel click count)

The handbrake cable is particularly slack on these cars. It used to be a requirement to engage the brake after 3-4 clicks but these are specified at 7-8 clicks, which to my mind means the handbrake cable is able to flap around more.

Hmm. Can't say I actually tried that yet! I'll try mine and see.

The handbrake cable is particularly slack on these cars. It used to be a requirement to engage the brake after 3-4 clicks but these are specified at 7-8 clicks, which to my mind means the handbrake cable is able to flap around more.

I tried mine here - on the driveway (sloped a bit) 2 clicks will hold it. 3 will definitely hold it, and driving against it raises the back end. This is what I would expect.

I suggest you get your handbrake looked at, and re-adjusted.

I tried mine here - on the driveway (sloped a bit) 2 clicks will hold it. 3 will definitely hold it, and driving against it raises the back end. This is what I would expect.

Of course when I say "these cars" I am talking about the Auris. The Yaris is smaller and lighter and doesn't share all the same parts. For example the Hybrid transaxle on the Yaris is smaller and has less power output. I suspect you have drum brakes on your rear brakes; mine has discs.

I think the handbrakes on discs are harder to make work and need more slack, especially after heavy braking and then parking.

I found the specification for the number of clicks somewhere when I first got the car -- I was worried by the large travel. Obviously I can't now find it :disgust:

Nope - all the (UK) Yaris Hybrids I've driven had discs on both ends.

I think it's the same on all markets now, but for the original Gen 1 "Classic" Prius the US market got drums on the back and fixed rear seats while in Europe we got discs all round and folding rear seats.

• Like 1

I found the specification. :clap:

Who would have thought to find it in the specification section of the manual? :bangin:

Hybrid model, 6-9 clicks at a force of 20kg.f

brake_travel.pdf

I have heard of tales of the rear brakes wearing out far too quickly. Having them adjusted too tight might be a good reason for that.

It would be great if you could check the spec in your manual and report back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links