Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If Gen4 Prius Doesnt Appeal, Which Hybrid Is Top Of The List

barrycoll

I have noticed that a few members are leaving the forum, into the hands of other manufacturers.

If the Gen 4 has no sunroof option, I too will regretably leave the marque.

What direction are others thinking of?

The CT 200 would be of interest, but only 3 years warranty, and Lexus service prices. The Golf GTE and the Audi Etron with over 200 bhp, and 30 EV miles (and a sunroof!) sound interesting too, but will reliablity suffer from not being Toyotas?

(Reading their forums indicates, that they do not have the level of hybrid understanding that underpins this forum)

The Mitsubishi has been bought by one member, but a bit big for London, and then there is the Tesla of course....

Why cannot Toyota offer a large option range to suit all tastes?????

At the risk of repeating myself (who me?!):

Toyota engineering is pure genius!

Their marketing, however, takes a lot of fathoming!

​I remember buying a Volvo in 1997 for which I absolutely had to have one without a sunroof (unless I wanted to sit very reclined or with my head cranked to one side! - which I didn't!).

There were so many options and permutations I used a spreadsheet to work out what I wanted, right down to wipers (not just washers) on the headlights, heated seats (for her indoors), footwell lighting, front and rear reading lights. The base car cost £14,000, which I got to £21,000 by the time I'd spec'd it. But it was great - all the things I wanted and none of the things I didn't want.

Only (slight) downside, if I could have lived with a sunroof I could have opted for the CD Trim pack which included everything I'd ordered AND a sunroof and a few other things for £600 less!

I have noticed that a few members are leaving the forum, into the hands of other manufacturers.

If the Gen 4 has no sunroof option, I too will regretably leave the marque.

What direction are others thinking of?

The CT 200 would be of interest, but only 3 years warranty, and Lexus service prices. The Golf GTE and the Audi Etron with over 200 bhp, and 30 EV miles (and a sunroof!) sound interesting too, but will reliablity suffer from not being Toyotas?

(Reading their forums indicates, that they do not have the level of hybrid understanding that underpins this forum)

The Mitsubishi has been bought by one member, but a bit big for London, and then there is the Tesla of course....

So just coz no sunroof u defecting???

Personal choice.

Living in a city, I'd never have a car that either didn't have body side mouldings on or where they weren't an option.

I wouldn't mind one of these hybrids, which, having hydragas suspension, brings back memories of the Allegro and Princess - http://www.hybrid-vehicle.org/hybrid-truck-hemtt.html

It would need to have a gun ring in the roof of the cab though.

I must say I would totally miss the skyview roof! I loved it the second I saw it. I wouldn't let it stop me buying what is arguably the best hybrid on the market though!

I wasn't even aware Audi did a hybrid. Toyota have the best design.

why not wait until you can physically try the new generation before writing it off? I realise that everybody is different but my car has the Panorama roof & tbh it's the rear passengers that benefit - for myself I never open it.

There is also the Auris (if you were looking at a CT200) or shortly RAV4 Hybrid ...

When I was looking for a Yaris Hybrid - I was determined to get the t-spirit with the panaromic

It took time and finally found one

But in the end I settled for the Auris with not even a sunroof

I do miss opening the sunroof for fresh air and the amazing view from the panoramic roof

But, I am still here, alive and kicking! :) :) :)

• Like 1

Why a sunroof, you ask??

Well I have always enjoyed open air motoring with drop tops, and then getting a Smart Cabrio for the wife demonstrated how pleasant it was.

The Smart was traded for an IQ, and then had an after market electric roof fitted which works very well indeed to get fresh air without opening a window, or enjoying early morning sun in winter with heater full on.

My present Prius has a solar roof option in order to get the opening roof, although the solar bit is a waste of time.

So nothing nicer when driving down to Spain, than when having a full belly of French croissants and brewed coffee, and then setting off through fab countryside with THE ROOF OPEN

Like Pete B., I too in my now ancient state would like a bit of lux in a car, and happy to tick option boxes, but unlike the Germans, the Japanese have few options.

Possible an after market sunroof would work, as long as the Gen 4 Prius does not have swage lines in the roof skin for strength....an aftermarket roof would need a smooth surface, as the IQ had.

On the other hand the 204 brake horsepower of the VAG products is additional attraction, but VW forums do not seem to give much info on what mpg is available without being a GTE petrol head

... as long as the Gen 4 Prius does not have swage lines in the roof skin for strength...

When these first appeared on the Gen 2 Prius, I went to a pre launch session and the Toyota tekkies said it was done for aerodynamics, and explained that was why there was no sunroof option or aftermarket possibility on the Gen 2.

The Gen 3 Prius have them too, with the exception of the sunroof model you have - I've always wondered if that had any negative effect on the CD factor, but they've never quoted a different value.

That said, they've not changed the claimed CD value for the latest Yaris Hybrid, but I can't believe the whale mouth grille hasn't damaged an already mediocre drag factor.

Like many "oldies" I have had quite a few cars. A lot of them were " rust buckets" especillay the British Leyland Montego ane the early Vauxhall Astras. I also had Simcas and several volvos. The Volvo was OK but even that broke down. Prior to the Volvos the dealers of other models I owned were terrible. Volvo was not too bad. In my opinion the best dealers although not always 100% perfect are Toyota dealers. I have owned an Avensis, a gen 2 Prius and two Gen 3s; dealt with 3 different dealers and have been pleased with the service. The Toyota Prius is the best car I have ever owned; good for comfort and reliability. My son Has an old RAV 4 and a gen 3 Prius, he previously had a gen 2 Prius. He drives his cars hard and drives to Europe on business etc. He feels the same as I do with regard to Toyota. As mentioned several guys from this forum have purchased other makes of car. Grumpy Cabbie bought a Nissan Leaf. He stated that he wished the Nissan dealer was as cooperative and helpful as his previous Toyota dealer. Let us hope the new Gen 4 is a good car with a spare wheel. With regard to the sun roof I can understand some folk wanting it. If the Toyota car is reliable and comfortable then is a sun roof really essential?

My Volvo was one of the worst cars I ever had for sheer number of faults (including a serious safety fault at delivery that could have left me with no brakes at all if I'd needed the ABS!), beaten only by a Ford. However, the local Volvo dealer was jointly best ever (tied with my current Toyota dealer).

They used to call after 8 pm (when I'd be home from London) and swap a loan car for mine, and swap back one evening when they'd fixed it. It generally went to the dealer at least twice a month (3-4 times for first couple of months), but they were so efficient and helpful, it wasn't the bother it could have been.

One of the factors that weighs against moving from Toyota is my excellent dealer in Norwich, where I've had the same service managers and technicians for over 13 years. Never a problem with getting cruise control switches fitted, spare wheels, or non Toyota parts (like my dashcam) wired in.

I must say the 2nd trim level of the Gen 4 looks quite attractive, except since the launch events I've seen nothing to suggest it has 4 wheel drive. The bottom 2 trim levels come with 15" wheels and a space saver, the top two with 17" and no spare (just gunge).

The 'Business Edition' trim that appeals to me has lots of things I do like, including:

• Adaptive Cruise Control (this has been on my shopping list for ages)
  • Automatic High Beam
  • Blind Spot Monitor
  • Colour head-up display
  • Driver’s seat lumbar adjust
  • Dual 4.2-inch colour TFT multi-information displays
  • Dual-zone automatic air conditioning
  • Electrically adjustable driver’s seat (but no memory?)
  • Forward Collision Warning with Autonomous Emergency Braking
  • Lane Departure Alert
  • Leather steering wheel trim
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Road Sign Assist
  • Smart Entry (all doors and boot)
  • Soft-touch cabin trim
  • Toyota Touch 2
  • Wireless phone charger (not that my current phone can use this)
and a few I can take or leave:
  • Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
  • DAB radio
  • Heated front seats
  • LED headlights

Mercifully, it doesn't have the auto wipers (only the top model does) and there's a £350 option pack for front and rear sensors. Would have liked the all round 4 camera system the Lexus NX Premier has though. If there's a leather option (and it's not black) even better.

But I probably won't change again until the Tesla Model 3 is launched.

Good question Chris, with such Engineering excellence, why forsake a Gen 4???

Certainly not cut and dried as yet, as nobody has actually seen one in the flesh, and the improvements may well be irresistable......and Pete B's list of fitments are tempting

Interestingly, nobody has actually come out with any interest for the VAG products, despite a 30 mile plug in range, quality fit& finish and ++++ reviews....plus 0-60 in 7.6 secs!

...Interestingly, nobody has actually come out with any interest for the VAG products...!

I was forced to drive 3 different Audi 80s (2 manual, one auto) in the 1990s when another rogue company car was on one of it's regular off-the-road modes (a Vauxhall this time).

They were such unbelievable rubbish, I won't even travel as a passenger in an Audi until they've demonstrated at least 50 years of improvement (but I'll be long gone myself by then!).

Will have a look at the Kia Niro hybrid, due next year; mainly because it has a dual-clutch gearbox. The Toyota CVT in a hilly area is vocally challenging. Wonder if they'll maintain the 7 year warranty (Toyota only three years in Spain)?

Just been exploring Audi A3 etron forum, and as well as being quite naive users, not very re-assuring

https://speakev.com/threads/a3-e-tron-owners-experiences-and-complaints.7732/page-2

Looks like a Gen 4 sans sunroof!!

I see that the US version of Gen 4 Prius , has a $1900 Technology Option that includes a tilt and slide electric sunroof!!!

Why on earth, would they not offer that here ??????????????

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2016-Toyota-Prius-Three__5dr_Hatchback/

Other markets have had (IMHO) better choices on all previous versions of Prius too.

A few examples off the top of my head:

1. US models had power operated seats in Gen 3
  2. Gen 2 models had Smart entry from 2004 model year in most other parts of Europe (some trim levels)
  3. Portugal had heated mirrors since 2000 model year Gen 1 (which were almost never needed I understand). We didn't get them until Gen 3 (I think for the 2012 facelift? Might have been from 2010 model - not certain). It was certainly no fun having the mirrors suddenly mist over at 6 in the morning on the M1!

• 2 weeks later...

Will have a look at the Kia Niro hybrid, due next year; mainly because it has a dual-clutch gearbox. The Toyota CVT in a hilly area is vocally challenging. Wonder if they'll maintain the 7 year warranty (Toyota only three years in Spain)?

When you say Toyota CVT, you mean on the hybrid?

... I've seen nothing to suggest it [Gen 4 Prius] has 4 wheel drive...

In fact, I've now seen a post in the UK Toyota blog saying there will not be a 4WD version in the UK (at least for 2016).

When you say Toyota CVT, you mean on the hybrid?

I'm surprised by this - I had 2 long tours of Scotland in my 2nd Gen 1 Prius (the lowest powered of all European Toyota Hybrids) where there were some seriously long and steep hills, and found the CVT to be extremely satisfying.

For example, going up a 20% (one in five) 6 mile long hill on cruise control, the car easily maintained an indicated 60 mph (99 kph) without drawing from the HV Battery and without particularly high revs.

Going down the other side would always see the Battery max out, and the car enter a serious EV mode for a while after leveling out at the bottom!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm... the "build your 2016 Prius" is now on the Toyota web site and it looks like you can specify 15" wheel on the top two trim levels and get a £400 rebate to boot - AND a no cost spare wheel appears to be optional too!

I'm starting to warm to the top Excel model if that's the case (the only one with leather trim, and plenty of other toys [but no sunroof *]) - the only thing it has that I really don't want is the auto wipers, but apparently you can snip a wire and it goes back to the old variable intermittent setup.

[* which suits me but I know will disappoint some others]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Hmm... the "build your 2016 Prius" is now on the Toyota web site and it looks like you can specify 15" wheel on the top two trim levels and get a £400 rebate to boot - AND a no cost spare wheel appears to be optional too!

I'm starting to warm to the top Excel model if that's the case (the only one with leather trim, and plenty of other toys [but no sunroof *]) - the only thing it has that I really don't want is the auto wipers, but apparently you can snip a wire and it goes back to the old variable intermittent setup.

[* which suits me but I know will disappoint some others]

I'm loving it too, with the option of a spare wheel, but although my head says 15" alloys are quieter, more economical and cheaper tyres, I just couldn't bring myself to pass up those amazing looking 17" alloys. Why can't they make the same pattern in the 15" size ?

I think the auto high beam could be a bit antagonizing sometimes.

The other thing my head is telling me is, why spend all that money on a new one when I love my Prius+ and I only do about 5-6K miles a year.

Another thing to consider is VED will be going up next year on all but zero emissions vehicles, so buy now. 

1 hour ago, kithmo said:

I'm loving it too...    ... why spend all that money on a new one when I love my Prius... 

I know what you mean - if my 4 year old, 53,000 mile Gen 3 is half as good as my last Gen 1 was (kept it 9 years, did 163k, still in use with 180k on clock apparently) it's nowhere near halfway through it's useful life...

but... an awful lot of goodies on new model, including some very appealing safety and convenience features - now, if only it had 4WD, plugin, AND spare wheel with 15" wheels (and, oh yes, 360° camera like some Lexus, Nissan Leaf etc.) :Jumpy:

Not sure the VED is a major factor in the overall scheme of things though

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links