Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If Gen4 Prius Doesnt Appeal, Which Hybrid Is Top Of The List

barrycoll

There's some optional wheel trims for the 15" wheels in the "build your..." options - maybe one of those will do the trick?

If anyone's interested, I've saved the spec that appeals to me here:

http://biwel.com/pmb01/Petes 2016 Prius Excel spec - 1TUHWUD.pdf

I've pasted in the price bit as for some reason it did't add the 15" wheels and spare wheel into the spec sheet, although it did include the £400 discount for the 15"ers.

The 2016 model Prius is getting more appealing to me. I like the fact you can get a spare wheel for the top models. I would not trade in this year as our current Prius is still new and only just done 5,000 miles.

What is the main advantage of having 15" wheels?

Pete I could not get the spec you outlined?

The 15" wheels:

• last same number of miles in my experience, but cheaper
  • less jittery ride
  • less road noise
  • lower CO2 (17" are wider), on Gen 3 to CD factor from 0.25 to 0.27 which is massive
  • better mpg
  • more likely to fit in boot under floor if space saver used (on Gen 3 at least)
  • might give tighter turnign circle (original Hybrid Yaris quote 6 feet bigger turning circle for 16" over 15" rims)
  • less likely to shatter alloy wheel on very severe pothole, or kerb strike (more rubber/air space between rim and road)

For business users, the extra CO2 of the 17" wheels puts it into a higher tax bracket apparently.

Don't forget better range of replacement tyres for 15 inch wheels.

Thanks for info on the 15" wheels. I like the spec you chose Pete.

I am looking at Audi A4 Allroad but will try the new Prius as I have now had three Toyota Hybrids. Toyota GB marketing are a waste of space, but we have been through all this before when I bought the Gen 3 Prius and the Auris Ts. Wheels should be a matter of choice across the whole range. I love the Auris Ts but hate low profiles, the speedo is unreadable, and the lack of rear heating is not good.  I have never tried the parking assist or even seen it demonstrated and the parking sensors are so quiet as to be inaudible from the drivers seat. All of these deficiencies could very easily me overcome by Toyota but customer services in UK are just not interested. The spare wheel is, to me, an essential. Other things I would like is headlight washers and a washer/water heater both of which I had in past cars and a stone deflector to save the bonnet. The Auris is better than the Prius in that respect as stone damage is restricted to one panel. All the bits are available from Toyota in other markets but Toyota GB are in a world of their own. I guess the city cabbie formed the focus group and few private users make up the customer base.  Lucky for me if we get a really bad winter I can stay at home. 

49 minutes ago, cviclark said:

Wheels should be a matter of choice across the whole range. 

I would always choose to have wheels on my cars ..........

• Like 1

Haw haw haw Frosters made a funny. Does that include flywheels, steering wheels, spare wheels and pulley wheels?

My Da had an old Rover that had a freewheel but it wizny, it cost money. 

On 12/02/2016 at 10:01 AM, johalareewi said:

Don't forget better range of replacement tyres for 15 inch wheels.

Also, it looks like the models with 15" wheels will also qualify for exemption from the London CONgestion charge, for those for whom it matters! (if you register and pay the £10 annual fee)

Limit for exemption is 75g/km and on 15" its 70, 76 for 17"

You'd have to move fast before the drop they limit yet again!

• 1 month later...

Does it matter if one opts for the tyre repair kit instead of a spare wheel? No spare wheel = lighter car = better mpg?

Any saving in weight will have a tiny benefit, and lots of weight savings will add up.

It would be interesting to know how much (if any!) weight is saved by not having the spare wheel, after the container of gunge, compressor and what looks like a more complex storage tray under the boot floor are taken into account.

As I understand it, on the first two trim levels you get 15" wheels and a spare wheel whether you want it or not, with the top two you get 17" wheels plus gunge, or can opt for 15" wheels, and then opt for a spare wheel if desired.  It's not clear (to me) whether you can opt for the spare wheel if you stay with 17" wheels.

you can always buy a spare afterwards.

As for the tyre repair kit - they can't repair all tyre failures, the "repaired" tyre needs replacing afterwards (££s) & they go out of date iirc at 3 years vs ~7 years for a spare tyre.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links