Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Used The Free Map Update

marlinleg

Hi can anyone tell me if I will benefit from the free map up date I have 2013 Prius Plus with

Touch&Go Plus Software version 2.12.5WH

MAPID:EUH20150630

My concern is I have full post code ie 7 digits will I still have them on free new map update and is there much differnce I do go to France twice a year

Thanks Hind Regards Phil

isn't that the current i.e. latest map anyway?

if not, then a new one must have only just been released so nobody will have experience of it yet.

• Like 1

Right and thankyou I was getting confused (.com) yes they have upgraded my software last month it' was Toolbox saying there was a map update ,once again many thanks Phil

there "ought" to be a new one due if Toyota can keep to the 2 a year schedule that there is supposed to be (although they haven't managed to in the past ...).

I had my last free updates in the summer and it's the same version you have.

It was a royal pain to download and install, and absolutely not worth the effort IMHO.

It even stopped the Texts working from my phone via bluetooth for a while, although it did magically start working again after a few weeks - no idea why.

It's still more out of date than the TomTom maps I was using 2 years ago.

I've stopped using the T&G+ SatNav now as I bought a top of the range TomTom this summer with lifetime free quarterly map updates, lifetime free High Quality Traffic and lifetime free GSM data download for traffic data (Europe wide!). The maps are now very up to date, with new roads shown within 3-6 months.

The quality of the traffic data has been a revelation - 99% accurate, and even covers more side roads than Google Maps traffic which I regarded as the best traffic info before I got the TomTom, and vastly more than the TMC data T&G+ gets from the RDS radio.

Even just driving 5 miles to the nearest big town it saves me at least an hour a week by choosing the best of the four possible routes.

Once or twice on longer trips it saved me from taking detours around holdups that had cleared when the T&G+ would have still re-routed me.

It's nice to be able to save whole multi stop journeys, which T&G+ doesn't do.

The powered magnetic mount means it's absolutely no chore to drop it on (automatically starts) and pull it off - it automatically shuts down when I switch the car off or pull it off the mount.

If I'd bought my car new the SatNav would have been £1,000 extra on my T3 (bearing in mind the screen and audio hardware is already in the car) - that's an absolute rip off for what you get.

• Like 2

Hi To everyone and thanks for the information, quick note to PeteB , funny you should say that about TomTom I was saying to my partner Sunday we should get a TomTom , Nina my partner keeps asking WHY IS SHE ALWAYS SAYING "route recalculating"

It got to be bad if NINAS noticing it . PeteB which model TomTom please Merry Christmas to one and all

Hi Phillip

Mine's a GO 6000, but I think the latest model is 6100.

Mine should have cost £300, but I got it for around £200 from Staples (I bought something cheap by click and collect, then they sent me a 30% off voucher!).

From memory, there was a 600 model which had everything except the mobile data link, but used a bluetooth connection to one's mobile phone to get the data from a tethered mobile data link.

There was also model 5000 and 500 which had the same features but a 5" instead of 6" screen. Staples only sold the 6000 at the time so if I'd bought a cheaper one elsewhere I'd have paid more!

Another vote for TomTom. In NW Spain we had three major roads open during the year (forthcoming elections help :flowers: ). Two opened in April and were included in the TomTom May update; Then one of them had a further extension opened later in the year, and it was included in the November update. Garmin (Here) have had two updates since April - none of these roads are shown.

Doing the free Sat/Nav was a disaster for me. The Sat/Nav locked during the update, the screen went black. After 3 days the dealer could not fix the problem or state what had gone wrong. It necessitated a new Sat/Nav under warranty. The service manager recommended they do all future updates. Like Pete says although our Sat/Nav is fully up to date it still has ommissions on road modernistions etc. My advice get the dealer to do the update.

... although our Sat/Nav is fully up to date it still has ommissions on road modernistions etc...

and when you think that after the free update period expires, they charge about £110 for the user to do their own update, they should really have a mask, gun and getaway car!

to be fair though that £109 makes them 1 of the cheapest car manufacturers for updates ...

to be fair though that £109 makes them 1 of the cheapest car manufacturers for updates ...

and while we're being fair, the T&G+ SatNav isn't too bad to use, although a £100 TomTom has more features.

However, at these prices it really should be excellent, and terribly out of date maps just isn't good enough for this price, regardless of what others charge.

Anyone know if the other manufacturers' maps are any better for their possibly higher cost?

My 2011 Yaris T-Spirit had a "built-in" (but removable) TomTom that gave best of both worlds, I wish they'd carried this approach forward. It was handy to be able to eject the screen and take it indoors to do software and map updates. You could even buy a suction mount to use it in other cars!

Something like 80% of Car Manufacturers' satnavs have their mapping provided by Here (in fact Audi, BMW & Mercedes have just bought Here).

Toyota CS have always said that the delay in release between them getting the data from Here & it being released to the public is due to extra coding to make that data usable by their systems & testing. It does seem imo an excessive delay though, often the data in a "new" Toyota release is actually 1 year old by the time it is released to the public.

The advantage of a car manufacturer's satnav over 3rd party is obviously the better integration with the car & generally larger screens, the downside obviously the much worse value for money.

Personal choice for everybody if buying new (s/h you get what you get! :P ).

...but is £15 more than I paid for a TomTom with 6" screen and lifetime 4-per-year European map updates and traffic alerts - also daily updates of minor changes from users via their mapshare facility

• 2 weeks later...

I use CoPilot on my iPad, which so far seems absolutely fantastic! I haven't used the traffic feature, but for just routing, it is great! It doesn't even say recalculating... It almost instantly finds a new route when you start to deviate!

...but is £15 more than I paid for a TomTom with 6" screen and lifetime 4-per-year European map updates and traffic alerts - also daily updates of minor changes from users via their mapshare facility

Yep. I gave up on the built in satnav some time ago. I use a TomTom GO 610. It's reasonably priced and technically it's in a different universe from the Prius effort.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links