Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

Wishing you guys compliments of the season.

When I learnt to drive I was told to press the handbrake button before applying the brake - and pressing the button again before releasing. I was told yesterday that is 'old school' (admittedly it was a few years (decades) ago...) and that the button should not be pressed.. .. just thought I'd check what you guys thought (my car is a 2006 Aygo)

Did they say why one shouldn't press the button, apart from being 'old school'?

I don't believe in holding the button in while the handbrake is pulled on - never have done. You don't press in the seat belt button before you engage the seat belt do you?

no I don't press in the seat belt button but I was never instructed to do so. I was told that if the handbrake button was not pressed it would cause undue strain on the cable

no they did not say much besides 'old school'

I press the button in when applying the handbrake, and also keep the footbrake depressed. Don't think it matters either way. If there is no particular reason for not pressing the button, I would continue with the method you feel most comfortable with.

Wishing you guys compliments of the season.

When I learnt to drive I was told to press the handbrake button before applying the brake - and pressing the button again before releasing. I was told yesterday that is 'old school' (admittedly it was a few years (decades) ago...) and that the button should not be pressed.. .. just thought I'd check what you guys thought (my car is a 2006 Aygo)

well depending on how you read your post if you dont press the button to release the handbrake you wont be going anywhere,

the reason for pressing the button whilst applying the handbrake is to stop the teeth on the handbrake quadrant becoming worn

from the pawl rubbing against the teeth ,as your handbrake may slip a tooth whilst in operation if your parked on a steep hill , your car may roll

unless you have an electric handbrake then its push to set and drive off to release otherwise this should still apply today.

If you drive a proper automatic then you can forget about the handbrake at junctions just stop, the car will hold itself if it creeps then use the footbrake.

I can't for the life of me how pressing or not pressing the release button can cause the cable to stretch,only if the "strong arm method" is employed and if you have to pull the handbrake lever up that hard then the brakes want looking at

As pointed out by Mark there will be wear to the fine teeth on the holding mechanism if mistreated all the time

Has you're motor got disc brakes all round? I mention this as if so only use the handbrake when you have stopped rolling as the mounting for the handbrake pads is probably not designed for bringing the vehicle to a stop,merely to hold it

Del

Well, you HAVE to press the button to release the handbrake; This is a fact.

You do not have to push it in to engage it; This is purely personal preference. My mate just yanks it up until he can't pull it any more; He also likes the ratcheting sound.

I OTOH can't stand the ratcheting sound, so I hold down the button as I'm pulling it up and let go when it's holding the car.

One additional advantage of doing it this way is it's almost impossible to pull the handbrake up too far, which my mate has done a few times (i.e. you can't easily pull it up to disengage it when you want to move off because it's already so high :lol:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links