Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Safety Sense

Bill_F

Have a Yaris excel hybrid with TSS. First long round trip motorway (450 miles) and collision detection kept on flashing as not available/ off. Think it's just low sun at this time of year causing problem for laser but when sun goes behind cloud warning takes ages to go off, if at all. Anybody else noticed this? Regular 24 mile round journey / commute hasn't shown problem and only time off warning come up has been in fog. (Have had collision warning activate a couple of times when approaching stationary cars when someone's flashed me on to swing over to other side of road so I know it works in principal.)

Had it a couple of times in this weather! Usually when the lane guidance looses the white lines. Not had it yet when guidance is switched off.

• 1 month later...

I have a 65 plate auris excel and had a problem with the TSS since purchased in September. The problem is with condensation sitting on the lenses of the camera toyota have had the car back every few weeks and in December fitted a heat element on the screen above the camera that had been sent from toyota Europe. This Failed to fix the problem and then at the end of January they took the car back and fitted a secondary fix/heat pack this worked for a few days with no warning coming on the dash and now the warning is back. Anybody else had any problems with the TSS?

It is so frustrating that every few minutes the dash is flashing a warning saying camera can't see. Only stays on for a minute or two.

As an aside, your profile is showing an 09 Auris and a 64 Yaris - still accurate?

Sorry forgot about this need to change it have 09 auris 15 rav4 and 65 auris

Not had further problems with TSS. But then not seen any more sun since then!

I've not noticed any condensation in mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue on Auris Excel hybrid, but haven't covered many miles. Will be going on a longer run soon. Hope the warnings don't come on as the digital speedo is banjaxed until it recovers from the tantrum! 

Hi Bill. Yes. It's not a safety feature. It doesn't work for example in adverse weather: "When driving in inclement weather such as heavy rain, fog, snow or a sand storm" (Toyota's words). Furthermore, it adds distraction at worst moments. Therefore it is a hazard. Can't be fixed. I'm told mine has had an improvement, not a fix after 5 months of haggling. Others be warned.

Edited by Senseless
Typo

• 9 months later...

Further to my brief comment in February. TSS mostly behaved well, but on a recent wet and dark night on the outskirts of Manchester, on a dual carriageway, off it goes again. Bit distracting to have orange warning signs  flashing doom, and main beam US at 60 ish! Car in for a service soon and will raise. Was going to mention it to dealer call centre who book service etc but I got the impression the poor thing was already overburdened with ennui! 

I've had the same last week driving along misty motorways in Scotland (300 miles further north than I normally drive). Just think the water droplets in air interfere. Like auto lights in fog & snow. Same with auto high beam. 

• Like 1

Could well be the case.  Too clever for it's programmers? 

• 4 weeks later...

2015 avensis luna, going mental with this problem every day, have had 3 fixes so far with no result. latest fix only allow the warning to flash up on screen for a couple of seconds and then disappear, absolute disgrace from Toyota, "not suitable for Irish climate is the word from the dealer but doesnt care has my money, going to go legal, why pay for something that rarely works?

If you 'go legal', bear in mind your contract will be with the supplying dealer and not the importer (ie. Toyota Ireland).

The front sensing camera on my TSS Yaris gets blinded by the sun in winter. Had it last winter and this winter when driving into the sun. The lane guidance flashes orange and the PCS off light flashes. It corrects itself when the car is restarted. Toyota needs to do a little more work on this system for winter driving.

Same yesterday driving to Manchester from High Peak in bright sunshine. Behaved itself after stopping for fuel - the restart does seem to work, but it may indicate a software failing. However, on the return journey after dark, the TSS went mad, switching on and off at random. Raised the issue when serviced in December, but forgot to chase it up before I paid as desperate to get away. Long wait. After effects of bronchitis - fatigue!  Will raise again now.

Booked in for mid January.  The service desk asserted (script here?) the lack of TSS was not in itself an issue as the car would still operate as normal. Pointed out that the automatic headlamp main beam system switching on and off was a pain, in the pitch dark, on winding roads. Not to mention warning signs flashing up time and again like an over-excited nanny. Dipped beam by default  when you need (and can use) main beam is not a strong selling point on the roads in Derbyshire:)

Edited by cobh18
clarity

Speak to your dealers, there are some fixes including a hood shield and heater element, different parts for different models so speak with your dealer. Once fitted the system needs calibrating again. I have not seen any issues after fitment, Kingo 

• Like 1

Thanks Kingo. They are intending to see if they can diagnose. That's what they said in December, but don't know if they did. Is there is a way of interrogating the system for un-modified software etc? Any references i.e. TSBs?

Yes the system can be calibrated, its a complicated process, speak to your dealer and they will arrange to carry out the work as per the bulletin. Kingo 

38 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Yes the system can be calibrated, its a complicated process, speak to your dealer and they will arrange to carry out the work as per the bulletin. Kingo 

Do you have a link to the bulletin?

I have an Auris Sport Tourer Hybrid 2016 and having terrible problems with the TSS. It mists up constantly, rarely reads the speed signs, tells me I'm driving to fast when I'm 10 mph under the speed limit - see pics. Went to the dealer today and it's in next Tuesday. Contacted Toyota who confirm there is a bulletin. Toyota UK  advise not to disable TSS since doing so could invalidate the insurance - very bizarre! Toyota GB have also offered to refund me the £450 I paid for the option.

20170105_234947-001.jpg

20170105_235331-001.jpg

20170106_093817-001.jpg

8 minutes ago, Terry Parrott said:

Toyota UK  advise not to disable TSS since doing so could invalidate the insurance - very bizarre! 

If you've declared to your insurer that the car has TSS and then disable it, in the event of an accident your action to disable the system could be seen as a contributory factor.

Similar scenario if you leave your car keys in the car and the car gets stolen - your leaving the keys in the car is a contributory factor to the car being stolen, and insurance could be invalidated.

I understand that - but likewise as I've pointed out to Toyota UK if the system is not working correctly - as now - then one cannot drive the car as the insurance could be invalid! My car is therefore not roadworthy and I expect a hire car of the same standard!!

20 minutes ago, Terry Parrott said:

I understand that - but likewise as I've pointed out to Toyota UK if the system is not working correctly - as now - then one cannot drive the car as the insurance could be invalid! My car is therefore not roadworthy and I expect a hire car of the same standard!!

That would be down to the supplying dealer to handle, as your contract is with the dealer.