Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 As A First Car, Daily Drive?

Ttaskmaster

Heya,

I've been looking after a mkIII Supra for a while, being housed for a friend until he can afford to get it fixed and taxed... which has meant I've really started to fancy a Supra myself. More so since I recently got my licence for 4-wheelers!!

I am eyeing up this mkII Celica Supra, '84/'85 model, needs new shocks and Battery as well as some welding, has sat around uncovered for a number of years while being used to store filthy-dirty parts for other vehicle projects... but still started on the button, has no leaks and everything electrical appears to work (except aircon). Will be learning more about it soon...

So my query is twofold:

- What are the mkii Supras like to own/drive, in terms of economy, performance, comfort and maintenance - ie do they drink fuel/oil and eat tyres as a standard?

- Would this be a good car for a first-time driver?

I've only had a car licence for a few months and mostly driven Astravans, a Beemer and an old C250 Merc auto. However, I've been on motorcycles for many years (decades?) and while I am not expecting the mkII to match the ridiculous 0-60 in 2.8 secs, I would hope for something that roughly equals the 30-odd mpg...

Whaddya reckon, guys?

My kind of car, or more suited to a richer, faster driver?

Don't know much about the mk 2 but I see in your other thread you'd maybe like a mk 3. I owned a mk 3 for a bit, years ago. I wrote a bit about it on another thread, link below.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168782-new-member-supra-mk3/