Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Use Of Oil Pump Out Instead Of Sump Plug Drain?

sproutdreamer

Hi

My Avensis has the plastic covers underieith and although there is a hole about 75mm around the drain plug I have little confidence that the oil will all drain without some going onto the tray which would then need to be removed to clean it up. Also the skirt at the front is quite low so much jacking up to loosed the sump nut, then lower to get a level drain and then up to refit the sump plug and down again. I am not keen on grovelling around on the floor outside in this weather (garage full of stuff) so I wondered about an oil pump, as I understand some garages use?

My question is do they cope with warm oil, can you get out the dregs ok and what diameter does the tube need to be to go down the dipstick hole. Any preference for makes and electric or suction type?

thanks-I appreciate it is probably not as good as a full drain but I am sure better than not doing it-Avensis is T25 08.

Believe it or not, most fast fits use this type of pump these days, it saves the hassle of stripped/leaking sump plugs and is quicker for them. HOWEVER as you have mentioned, it leaves quite a bit of oil in the sump and the dregs will NEVER be drained out. So all in all, if you want the job done properly you will need to drain the sump through the drain plug.

• Like 1

"HOWEVER as you have mentioned, it leaves quite a bit of oil in the sump
and the dregs will NEVER be drained out. So all in all, if you want the
job done properly you will need to drain the sump through the drain plug."

I agree with Parts-King: Having said that, I do change the oil of a boat engine using manual suction pump, as there's insufficient clearance under the engine to access drain plug, or place receptacle to catch the old oil. It is definitely much easier sucking the old oil out when it's warm/hot :fireman: I borrow a brass syringe type pump.

"HOWEVER as you have mentioned, it leaves quite a bit of oil in the sump

and the dregs will NEVER be drained out. So all in all, if you want the

job done properly you will need to drain the sump through the drain plug."

I agree with Parts-King: Having said that, I do change the oil of a boat engine using manual suction pump, as there's insufficient clearance under the engine to access drain plug, or place receptacle to catch the old oil. It is definitely much easier sucking the old oil out when it's warm/hot :fireman: I borrow a brass syringe type pump.

i think there is a time and place for suction pumps, such as your boat engine, however the use of them in modern garages and fast fits is for one reason only, to save time and money, and allow an untrained monkey to do the job and call it a "service" shocking that people will be paying for that service but there you go. It has been a pet hate of mine for some time now, There have been some horror stories in the trade press over such tactics

Totally agree with parts king!Get it jacked up get under and take out plug then you can see all the oil has been drained properly.you can also get a good look to see if there's any leaks around the sump.

I was doing getting ready to do an oil change once and was running the engine to let it heat up. I was explaining to SWMBO about the new zero weight multigrade oils. I told her that the benefit was that the zero weight oil was “thin” and flowed quickly at low temperatures but once it was hot it became “thicker” – long chain polymers and molecules and all that. She considered all this carefully and then said “OK, so if it’s thinner when it’s cold, why don’t you drain the oil out when it’s cold instead of when it’s hot?”

Sometimes it’s just better to have a Female Exclusion Zone when you’re working on a car.

The service flaps on the T25 under shields are fairly poor and oil contamination seems inevitable.

I've always removed the entire shield which only takes a couple of minutes. Gives me an opportunity to check out the entire engine bay for possible hidden problems.