Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Springs

TomdeGuerre

Anybody ever had any trouble with broken springs on their Toyotas? In 11 years of running Toyotas I've never once had any trouble and can't recall anyone I know having had trouble.

Vauxhalls, on the other hand, seem to break them regularly. Most recent example was one I found which lying on the road I reckon came from a Corsa. I know 2 people who've had trouble with their Vauxhalls breaking springs and seems it's quite common amongst some of the French cars too.

post-140480-0-65084300-1452353254_thumb.

post-140480-0-26767500-1452353271_thumb.

A while ago broken springs were claimed to be partly as a result of European made springs having flattened ends rather than the ends being pigged, which made the springs more susceptible to corrosion. I suppose manufacturers are now also making springs thinner and lighter.

We've only had cars from Japanese or Korean manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Hyundai) - although that included 6 cars made in Britain (a Honda made by Rover, two Primera's, one Corolla and two Auris), a Mazda built by Ford in Spain, and two Hyundai's built in Turkey.

Not had any issue with springs breaking.

• Like 1

Yep, this is not typical for a Japanese cars and super common with French ones, Peugeots are well known for that.

Actually I broke a front spring on my Avensis and had to replace it for the last MOT.

You know I had 2 mk2 Astra GTEs and 14-15 Cavaliers mk2s and mk3s and I never broke a single spring. I live in the north of Scotland and drive windy, twisty single track country lanes, shoddy badly patched A roads and potholes...... the roads from Lands End to Johnnie Groat are infested with them,they secretly breed I'm sure of that so my cars have been worked hard.

Possibly though with the vast majority of my Griffens I lowered them fitting new lower harder springs which probably explains why it was nevwr an issue.

French cars though, I agree whole heartedly having to repair the Clio I was using while my Avensis was off the road while I did the work for the MOT...... it was a bloody nightmare to change too.

I've since replaced my suspension with a full set of coilovers so I hope to hell broken springs won't be an issue but as to your original question I suspect most makes arw morw susceptible these days coa the roads are...... well, they're buggered no point in being subtle about it, the amount of holes,badly patched sections and roadworks there are nowadays it's no wonder springs aren't lasting like they used too

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I know from experience with my brothers Grand Scenic, plus my local garage did a Mondeo spring last week, when my Avensis was have the brakes done.

Here is what happened with my brothers Renault:

post-76861-0-07001700-1452509838_thumb.jpost-76861-0-68336100-1452509856_thumb.jpost-76861-0-80198700-1452509962_thumb.j

This happened at low speed on a rough access road, with one pot hole that has since been filled in.

A friend had a Renault Laguna and had to change the springs a few times.

This is a subject that should be low on any Toyota forum compared to Renault.

I know from experience with my brothers Grand Scenic, plus my local garage did a Mondeo spring last week, when my Avensis was have the brakes done.

Here is what happened with my brothers Renault:

attachicon.gifP1020725.jpgattachicon.gifP1020717.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20140528_004.jpg

This happened at low speed on a rough access road, with one pot hole that has since been filled in.

A friend had a Renault Laguna and had to change the springs a few times.

This is a subject that should be low on any Toyota forum compared to Renault.

That looks a real nasty Konrad, shudder to think what the results might have been if it had happened at higher speed. His happened bacause of a pot hole but it's funny how a lot of things like badly worn steering lower ball joints jumping out or struts collapsing happen at low speed, i suppose there's more strain on these things at low speed eg if you're maneuvering in a car park.

I measured the diameter of that broken spring today and it comes out at just over 9mm - or somewhere between 5/16ths and 3/8ths inch in old money. That doesn’t seem like a very substantial gauge of wire that it was made from although I know there’s more than just the gauge of wire involved. I can’t measure the Toyota spring without taking the wheel off but visually it looks a lot more substantial.

I was in a local garage for an MOT last winter and they had a Megan in and the owner had asked them to phone her if it failed. The mechanic came through to the receptionist to tell her to phone the owner and tell her that two springs were broken, don’t know whether it was two fronts or what. They said the springs tended to go in the cold weather but can’t say I noticed that in my days in the garage. In road haulage (leaf springs) it was more likely over-loading the trucks and rough drivers that caused it. Are you listening FastBob72? :blow::blow::blow:

it is reasonably common on a lot of cars, including Toyota. I very often price them on visual health inspections, BEFORE they get to be broken, IE when they are heavily corroded and before they have snapped. I have just priced two this morning on a RAV and an Aygo

Parts King, does your dealership recommend changing springs in pairs the same as shock absorbers. And just out of curiosity, what kind of price would it be for a pair of springs on a RAV4? (you pick the model)

Parts King, does your dealership recommend changing springs in pairs the same as shock absorbers. And just out of curiosity, what kind of price would it be for a pair of springs on a RAV4? (you pick the model)

Just like shock absorbers, if the car is over 5 years old we would suggest changing them as a pair, but at the end of the day, that is just good engineering practice, the customer is paying the bill and is allowed to make his own decision. A genuine rear spring on a 2007 RAV is £109 plus VAT. I am not saying genuine will last twice as long as none genuine, but what I can say is the wire used is a lot thicker on a genuine spring when compared side by side

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links