Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Possible To Programme A Used Remote Fob

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

I recently purchased a 2010 T4 2.0 Diesel Toyota Avensis which sadly came with 1 remote fob.

I have tried to contact the previous owner, details taken from the vehicle's log book, but i have a feeling that i may not have much luck.

Toyota have quoted £300.00 all in for the remote fob, which includes a blade cut, and programming.

I have seen used fobs, with a blank key blade, selling on eBay for under £69.99.

My question is, could i re-programme a used fob myself? Toyota state that i cant, as once a remote has been assigned to a vehicle, it cannot be re-programmed to another vehicle Or changed. I have re-programmed a fob remote years back re.an old Nissan Micra lol, but this vehicle is a lot more advanced, which concerns me, having the one remote key to hand means i cannot risk causing any issues with the vehicle.

Your help Regarding my enquiry will be most appreciated, and potentially save me hundreds.

Thanks Guys.

To confirm, looking at my remote, its marked: TA-2008/311

MOROCCO, MR3983/2008, TOKAI BIKA, B74EA

I assume the B74EA is the important bit that determines the right remote fob?

I have been successful in reprogramming another key for my Avensis Verso but not my Corolla T Sport.

I didn't think it would work but it did....my car is a 2002 model. Will upload details asap. Worth a try.

Thanks guys...much appreciated...my only issue is...i have one of those keyless start sytems...so no inserting keys in ignition sequences lol...

Looks like a dealer job...it has to be...darn!

If anyone on here has Toyota diagnostic tool could probably do it.? Or you could possibly buy the tool and try it yourself ?they can be bought on auction sites

Hi Frankie

interesting...what does this tool look like? any links may be?

Sorry it won't let me post a link?? Just type in Toyota diagnostic tool.and the name of it is called Toyota techstream.

£300 seems a bit high; Our Verso was £210 all in!

Might be worth speaking to another dealer as remotes is something dealers can price at whatever they feel like. (For comparison, my bad dealer quoted me £250 all-in for the remote)

£300 seems a bit high; Our Verso was £210 all in!

Might be worth speaking to another dealer as remotes is something dealers can price at whatever they feel like. (For comparison, my bad dealer quoted me £250 all-in for the remote)

Hi Cyker...

Interesting comment...and funny you mentioned it...i was just thinking that earlier today and mentioned it to my other half...so it is true...hmmm...as we have a diesel...i certainly dont mind doing some miles to get one done cheaper...may be i should start ringing every toyo dealer from tomorrow...thanks mate...will update you soon...promise.

Weeeeell it's a good excuse to go for a hoon... :naughty: :D

Hi Guys

I am currently saving up for a replacement fob for our new vehicle, since it only came with the 1 key, no such luck in contacting the previous owner, Toyota are charging me £199.99 for the fob, £49.99 to cut the key blade, and another £49.99 to programme it all...so I might be saving for awhile!!! Toyota recon if I were to buy a used fob on E bay, they would not be able to programme it, as once its assigned to a vehicle, it cannot be changed.

Any hoo...a friend of mine recommended a local company that do programming, so I paid them a visit yesterday. He said ...no problem, you buy the fob on E bay but to make sure that its the correct model (which my fob reads B74EA) and bring it down, and he'll sort it, he said that they use the original fob to programme the new fob...and that they would charge me £40.00 to programme and £25.00 to cut the blade, which means I could have another fob all in at £100.00...if I can get a fob on E bay at £50.00 which they seem to sell around...sounds too good to be true...is it worth a try do you think guys??? This company said that Toyota fobs are not locked, and that VW are the only company that lock theirs, so he was pretty certain that they can do it, but I'm thinking...what if they screw up the one key that I have...or if they cant do it...then I would have wasted £50+ on an E bay fob?

I'm confused, any suggestions guys??? Just to mention, we have the keyless start system!

Please h.e.l.p !

does this look like the (uncut) key blade for your car? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blank-key-blade-for-Toyota-2-3-button-remote-smart-key-fob-/331264051075

You could buy this & get it cut (tbh even £25 sounds high to cut the key) other than at the dealer so potentially at least saving something on that.

Have you PM'ed PartsKing on here to see if he can supply the oem fob any cheaper?

does this look like the (uncut) key blade for your car? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blank-key-blade-for-Toyota-2-3-button-remote-smart-key-fob-/331264051075

You could buy this & get it cut (tbh even £25 sounds high to cut the key) other than at the dealer so potentially at least saving something on that.

Have you PM'ed PartsKing on here to see if he can supply the oem fob any cheaper?

Hi Heidfirst,

Thank you matey, actually yes i think that key blade does look like mine, and its cheap, hmmm, so that could resolve that issue, cant see why i would need a new key part anyway.

I did pm partking about other accessories but i dont think that i asked about the fob, i cant imagine him being much cheaper than the dealers with postage added. Thanks for the suggestion though and all your input.

I will have to decide risking the fob on E bay and see if it works i guess.

cant see why i would need a new key part anyway.

to get into the car in the event of the fob Battery going flat or the central locking failing ... ;) If you were to lose your existing fob then presumably you would have lost your existing key with it.

Of course there is no transponder in the key so you can't drive the car without a fob (even if it has a flat battery).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys...

My research is still ongoing...desperate to resolve this key issue...so worried my other half might lose our 1 and only key...every 10 seconds the kids are like...where's the key dad...lol.

I think Toyota is our only option.

Has anybody on here found a way around this issue other than visiting the dealers???

I dont think you can re-programme a remote fob that has already been programmed to another car. You buy the fob and the key separately. They are £223 but you would need it programmed locally at your dealer. There is very little margin in keys for me, I could shave a bit off the price for you. You need to bite the bullet and sort something because if you lose that key you are up the creek and the paddles are very expensive LOL

30 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I dont think you can re-programme a remote fob that has already been programmed to another car. You buy the fob and the key separately. They are £223 but you would need it programmed locally at your dealer. There is very little margin in keys for me, I could shave a bit off the price for you. You need to bite the bullet and sort something because if you lose that key you are up the creek and the paddles are very expensive LOL

Dear parts King

Talking about Creeks and Paddles lol...put the shivers right up me matey...its like you sold it to me!!! Well done, So is your £223 for the remote and key blade? And how much are we talking in terms of shavings??? Please let me know asap..I would seriously appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

An update guys...

To conclude, a used remote key cannot be re-programmed nor cleared, this applies to these smart remotes in particular, lets just say i managed to obtain a used remote unit, took it to a very advanced chap who had the very best in diagnostic machines and computers one can buy, and he couldnt get it to work, he said everything looked as if it was going to work out, however right at the end, when attempting to sync the unit...it came up with FAILURE, and the option to clear the used key doesnt exist on his options list, however in his words, if it were a new key remote i.e he called it a virgin key, it would have worked.

So there you go, save yourself money for the dealers to order one in for you!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening Gentleman...

I bring good news...i have since resolved my key issue.

Turns out you can buy a used smart key...send it off to have it wiped...found a very nice bloke on E Bay offering an excellent service at a very small cost...went back to my local locksmith this morning...took him under 5 minutes...and hey presto...a working smart key! 

Dealer price 289.00...my result 110.00 all in...says it all...i couldnt be happier!

Thank you all for the input, just glad its sorted!

• Like 1