Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strong Vibrations While Idling At 700 In A Recently Purchased Rav4

uxaar

Hi everybody,

I am new here

My car is a diesel rav4, 2010 model with 50.000 miles and i only had it for under a month

I dont know if this is a problem but after the engine gets warm it settles or rests at around 700-800 rpm and the entire cabin and the steering wheel vibrates .

Is this normal?

I understand that it could be the throttle body which might need a clean up.

I was given a year waranty by the toyota dealer i got the car from and i wonder if this is covered .

Or will they charge me for fixing it?

If there is anything to fix...

Can someone tell me please , where exactly is the throttle body ?

post-152214-0-42301700-1452872681_thumb.

thank you.

Diesels don't have a throttle body, fuel is pumped at high pressure through the injectors from the fuel tank via the filter. I have a similar aged car and it is very smooth.

Does it vibrate at any other speed / revs? If so go back with it as it should not be doing it.

Keith

Diesels don't have a throttle body,

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your answer.

That shows how clued up i am about engines and mechanics in general.

:chair:

Does it vibrate at any other speed / revs? If so go back with it as it should not be doing it.

Keith

It does not vibrate at any other speed.

When the engine is cold the rpm will rest at 1000 for the first 15-20 min or so and there are no vibrations and the engine feels as it should.But afterwards the rpm goes down to around 700 and that is where the vibrations start and they are very noticeable throughout the cabin and in the steering wheel.

And it would idle at 700 when in neutral from there onwards.

Would you say that this is something easy to fix or adjust ?

Having thought about it my car idles at 800 revs when it's hot.

If yours is idling at 700 try increasing the revs a little with the accelerator. If it goes quieter at slightly higher revs then that's the answer but I don't know how you fix it as idle speed is set by the engine management system.

Do you have access to a fault code reader.

Keith.

Just to add extra confusion, I think it might have a throttle body if it's like the 2.0 and 1.4D4D's!

They serve a different purpose than in petrols tho', and are there to regulae (I assume) intake from the EGR and turbocharger.

Certainly on earlier D4Ds, they are quite prone to getting sooted up, which causes uneven idling where the car feels like it's about to stall, then catches itself, then starts to stall, then catches itself etc.

Once you figure out where the thing is and how to get it out, it's very easy to clean using the magical powers of Carb Cleaner! :yahoo:

My 2.2 D4D is very smooth when cold, tick over is 1k cold and when hot it's about 800 give or take. Is it the same with every thing turned off IE air conditioning. If would take it back get them to look at it, even if they don't fix it it will be on records that you have been back in case some thing go's wrong with the car.

The vibrations are still the same regardless of whether the AC , heating or radio is on or off.

It doesnt make any difference.

I have checked the one year waranty i was given when i purchased the car and , unless i misunderstood, i am not covered for operations that have anything to do with engine tuning , brake and clutch adjustment. But now as i am writing this i am in doubt whether the problem with the vibrations has anything to do with these operations(engine tuning,clutch adjustment) ...

Having thought about it my car idles at 800 revs when it's hot.

If yours is idling at 700 try increasing the revs a little with the accelerator. If it goes quieter at slightly higher revs then that's the answer but I don't know how you fix it as idle speed is set by the engine management system.

Do you have access to a fault code reader.

Keith.

As i increase the speed with the accelerator and keep the needle at around 1000rpm the vibrations dissapear and it just looks normal.

And as i said before when the engine is cold it rests at 1000 rpm at idle and is nice.Is as it should be .No vibrations.But 20 min or so latter when the engine is hot the rpm drops at 700 and there is when the vibrations start.

I wouldnt know what a fault code reader is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links