Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wandering On Motorway

Ben565

Coming from an Avensis (2012) I know the Aygo (2012) is going to be a lot different, but I'm not sure this is right.

The steering feels rather vague about the straight ahead, it doesn't seem to self center very well, and it wanders about on the motorway.

I thought it was because it was windy at first but it does it even on calm days. Off the motorway it doesn't feel sharp and fun at all, nothing like the Aygo I had on loan for a few days while the Avensis was in for repair, that Aygo (2011) felt cracking to drive, this one doesn't.

Tyre pressures are all ok, the tyres are Conti Eco something and all match. I took it to have the alignment checked on a Hunter alignment machine and it seems the Caster and Camber are out

See here

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/veedub565/media/Aygo/68d03f5f-873f-458e-94cf-0b01fee975e7_zpsitisndbj.jpg.html

not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not. It's not adjustable so should I be getting the dealer to sort it out?

I noticed there are some other threads relating to this sort of thing on the Yaris and it seemed to be various issues related to the steering rack and electric assistance. I had wondered whether it was worth pulling the PAS fuse to eliminate the electric steering assistance.

How bad is it? I do find my Yaris is less 'locked' in a straight line than it used to be since I changed tyres, but I don't know if that is due to the tyres themselves or just the garage that aligned it using an old machine that was itself slightly out of alignment.

If a garage doesn't calibrate its machine regularly they can drift out; I came afoul of this when I got my wheels aligned ages ago and found the car tending to drift toward the curb slightly noticeably. Took it to another place that had just opened and had a brand new machine, and they found the front wheels were actually slightly out.

I have had to get mine realigned more frequently too due to this !Removed! obsession with speed cushions everywhere.

I swear have actually raised the number of incidents along my road!

did you go to kwik-fit ?? i recognise the printout the system is fantastic our local branch

has had this system for a few years its as good as the manufacturers geometry system.

when i bought my IS i asked the dealer to check the tracking and he didn't ,i showed them my

printout and they thought it was better than theirs .they then made the adjustments.

your dealer may /should have the tools needed to make the adjustments no harm in asking.

mine is sensitive to wind, even on a day where you'd think it was relatively calm it will still be blown about mildly. Never had it wandering to one side or the other though.

Yeah was Kwik Fit, some are better than others but there's one literally at the bottom of the road that's been pretty good. I guess it could be tyres, they do make a difference some feel sharper than others.

No harm in asking the dealer I suppose, will bring it up with them next time I get chance. It's clearly out of spec, appears to have not enough positive caster which would reduce straight line stability. Whether it's enough to make a difference or not.

The trucks blow it about even on a calm day. it's a lot lighter than the Avensis, about half the weight in fact, so I suppose yes it would get blown about a bit.

It could just be that your use to a big car. I find at 70 it wouldn't feel as stable as a Astra or Civic but keep it at 60 and it's a far more relaxing experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I asked the dealer about it. They couldn't find anything wrong and showed me the specs showing that caster is within factory spec.

The Toyota specs are different to the Kwik Fit specs, so presumably Kwik Fit have the wrong information. Only cost me £50 to find out.

I'm still convinced something isn't right. This doesn't drive anything like as well as the other Aygo I had for a week.  

Well I asked the dealer about it. They couldn't find anything wrong and showed me the specs showing that caster is within factory spec.

The Toyota specs are different to the Kwik Fit specs, so presumably Kwik Fit have the wrong information. Only cost me £50 to find out.

To be fair to Kwik Fit all they do is punch the reg into the machine,  presumably the machine manufacturers are responsible for supplying the correct data. 

Interestingly it felt a bit better on the way home, all Toyota apparently have done is put the correct pressures in the tyres. I always go by the sticker on the door pillar,  Toyota I have noticed tend to do themy to something different.