Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

nevica

Hi Charis, here's a link for you and the answers to your questions should be there. I was chatting to a lady on here who had a diesel Rav 4 and she was amazed by the difference in performance after the treatment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=terraclean&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=MnYQV9iVEMLXO_KqkdAJ

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of places in Liverpool that offer Terraclean.  Initially I noticed a difference in the car, but after a couple of months, I've still not seen any improvement to MPG due to changing jobs and doing more motorway driving.

If I switch back to main roads and not motorway then I hope to see an improvement in MPG.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after not using the motorways for a week, I've seen a massive improvement to MPG.

59.2 UK MPG

Details

• MPG: 49.3 / UK MPG: 59.2
  • mi/L: 13.0
  • Miles: 420.0
  • Litres: 32.28
  • Price: £1.17/Litre
  • Total: £37.74

Hopefully, I can go further than 420 miles on this full tank by avoiding the motorways and going along at 30-40 mile on the roads I use to get to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Woot!

I've finally broken the 450 mile barrier, I am so tempted to push on and try and better Toyota's own test and go for the 500 mile with some reserve fuel in a jerry can :)

I do think switching back to 0w20 has helped me reach this figure.

Fuel-up Added

Best Tank!

Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 61.6 UK MPG!

Details

• MPG: 51.3 / UK MPG: 61.6
  • mi/L: 13.6
  • Miles: 456.0
  • Litres: 33.65
  • Price: £1.19/Litre
  • Total: £40.01
Edited by Mark_P
fixed oil rating
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2016 at 1:37 PM, Mark_P said:

Woot!

I've finally broken the 450 mile barrier, I am so tempted to push on and try and better Toyota's own test and go for the 500 mile with some reserve fuel in a jerry can :)

I do think switching back to 0w20 has helped me reach this figure.

Fuel-up Added

Best Tank!

Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 61.6 UK MPG!

Details

• MPG: 51.3 / UK MPG: 61.6
  • mi/L: 13.6
  • Miles: 456.0
  • Litres: 33.65
  • Total: £40.01

Careful now, you  are pushing the boundaries of, well, something, here. The most I have spent on fuel in one go on our car is about £32, when the last notch light was flashing, and that was before it got more expensive. I wonder if there will be a master class coming after this?

8 hours ago, bob809 said:

Careful now, you  are pushing the boundaries of, well, something, here. The most I have spent on fuel in one go on our car is about £32, when the last notch light was flashing, and that was before it got more expensive. I wonder if there will be a master class coming after this?

My fuel is more expensive as I always use V-Nitro+.  I've never used any other fuel apart from what was in the tank when I got the car.

As for pushing the boundries, well there is a challenge out there I'd like to beat one day and that is Toyota's own blog where they went 504 miles on a full tank. http://blog.toyota.co.uk/500-miles-in-the-toyota-iq

I'd probably need to carry a jerry can as a backup if and when I do try it, but for now, I'm happy that I've beaten my own mileage again to get 456 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am closing in on Toyota's 500 miles.  I am now currently 34 miles from the 500 miles mark (they recorded 504).  I'll be taking a jerry can with me today whilst I try and beat it :)

I have no idea how I've managed to get this close as the wife and I took a trip to Llandudno the other weekend after filling up Einstein and the trip involved some limited motorway driving and a steep hill to climb.

DSC_0010.JPG

Yippee!!

I've done it, I've broken the 500 mile barrier and also beaten Toyota's own mileage of 504.2.

My dash shows 509.9 and Fuelly is showing 511 miles.

Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 66.4 UK MPG!

Details

• MPG: 55.3 / UK MPG: 66.4
  • mi/L: 14.6
  • Miles: 511.0
  • Litres: 35.00
  • Total: £41.62
  • Like 1

On 15/06/2016 at 2:04 PM, Mark_P said:

Yippee!!

I've done it, I've broken the 500 mile barrier and also beaten Toyota's own mileage of 504.2.

My dash shows 509.9 and Fuelly is showing 511 miles.

Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 66.4 UK MPG!

Details

• MPG: 55.3 / UK MPG: 66.4
  • mi/L: 14.6
  • Miles: 511.0
  • Litres: 35.00
  • Total: £41.62

Holy Crap! Well done Mark! Did you need the jerry can then? Unfortunately for me, I get the jitters when that damn light starts flashing. Also, I would be a little concerned about the crap that is likely in the bottom of the fuel tank -especially as it's flat- clogging up the gubbins in the engine. You are, I take it, going to rub Toyota's nose in it, especially with a little You Tube video. Inspire all those iQ owners out there... well, some of them would be inspired.

The fuel filter should stop any crap getting any where near the engine ;)

15 hours ago, bob809 said:

Holy Crap! Well done Mark! Did you need the jerry can then? Unfortunately for me, I get the jitters when that damn light starts flashing. Also, I would be a little concerned about the crap that is likely in the bottom of the fuel tank -especially as it's flat- clogging up the gubbins in the engine. You are, I take it, going to rub Toyota's nose in it, especially with a little You Tube video. Inspire all those iQ owners out there... well, some of them would be inspired.

Hi Bob, I didn't need the jerry can, I honestly believe I could have gone on for another 20 miles before the petrol ran out.

The crap in the bottom of a tank is a bit of a myth nowadays especially in say the IQ as the tank is made out of plastic (please correct me if I am wrong) so the chances of crud being in the tank is just false advertising from Shell and other fuel companies, and as Soeley stated, the fuel filter is there to catch this stuff before it makes it in to the engine.

Sadly, I don't have any videos and if I did a complete recording of the journey, it would be boring as it would show me going to work and back :)

When the light starts flashing you do have around 100 miles left in the tank+pipe before you will run out.

I have posted on the Toyota blog but for some reason my posts are not appearing so I think I may have to do a new post and not a reply.

14 hours ago, Soeley said:

The fuel filter should stop any crap getting any where near the engine ;)

True, true enough. And as Mark says also, a plastic tank gathers no moss... no, he said because it's a plastic tank no crud should be inside it. I think the old tanks used to rot from inside (as evidenced a number of times for me with an Austin Princess and a Vauxhall Firenza).

2 hours ago, Mark_P said:

Hi Bob, I didn't need the jerry can, I honestly believe I could have gone on for another 20 miles before the petrol ran out.

The crap in the bottom of a tank is a bit of a myth nowadays especially in say the IQ as the tank is made out of plastic (please correct me if I am wrong) so the chances of crud being in the tank is just false advertising from Shell and other fuel companies, and as Soeley stated, the fuel filter is there to catch this stuff before it makes it in to the engine.

Sadly, I don't have any videos and if I did a complete recording of the journey, it would be boring as it would show me going to work and back :)

When the light starts flashing you do have around 100 miles left in the tank+pipe before you will run out.

I have posted on the Toyota blog but for some reason my posts are not appearing so I think I may have to do a new post and not a reply.

That is amazing Mark, not needing the jerry can. Maybe next time you will go even further and enter the Toyota Hyper Milers Hall of Fame. As for that 100 miles or so of mileage left in the tank when that light of doom flashes, I can't trust it. I was wondering, just now, if anyone has ever thought of fitting an analogue gauge connected to one of those gubbinsy* (*technical term) bits that fits to the OBD2 port. Anyone?

As for Toyota not replying, they are A: Probably not replying due to shock, B: Out on the road right now with another iQ trying to beat your record.

• 5 weeks later...

You guys are my heroes, I am over the moon at 48mpg on my 1.33 Auto lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've gone and done it again.  I've gone a bit further over the 511 miles I did last time and I've now done 520 miles on a full tank!!

65.7 UK MPG

Details

• MPG: 54.7 / UK MPG: 65.7
  • mi/L: 14.4
  • Miles: 520.0
  • Litres: 36.00
  • Price: £1.18/Litre
  • Total: £42.44

MPG is down a little due to my son borrowing the car on my last top up and putting a fiver in the tank when I did a top up prior to this fill up.

Time to let Toyota know again and hopefully they will acknowledge me this time as I took a photo of the mileage counter!

519-5miles.JPG

10 hours ago, Mark_P said:

Well I've gone and done it again.  I've gone a bit further over the 511 miles I did last time and I've now done 520 miles on a full tank!!

65.7 UK MPG

Details

• MPG: 54.7 / UK MPG: 65.7
  • mi/L: 14.4
  • Miles: 520.0
  • Litres: 36.00
  • Price: £1.18/Litre
  • Total: £42.44

MPG is down a little due to my son borrowing the car on my last top up and putting a fiver in the tank when I did a top up prior to this fill up.

Time to let Toyota know again and hopefully they will acknowledge me this time as I took a photo of the mileage counter!

Wow! They really should be taking notice of your achievement Mark. My MPG is all over the place at the moment. Not sure what is going on. Tyre pressures are good, hardly anything in the car that weighs much other than people of course. Have been using the AC a bit, but not enough for it to drop to it's worst ever, just over 43mpg! Maybe the invisible man has put on some weight and he climbed into our car?

Carry on carrying on.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not come close to my 520 miles record but after the last week of driving to and from Abersoch in Wales and then to work, I've managed to drive 486 miles.

And I did feel the dreaded chug twice on the way home yesterday and when I reached the garage to fill up, I managed to put 37.271 litres in the tank!  The most I've ever put in was 36 litres.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something for you to beat Mark_P, 74MPG UK ;)

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/iq/2009/niklasl/397108

So how do I do it?

First, the car. No external modifications just pumped the tires(Bridgestone Ecopia 175/65R15) to 3 bars. Using 0w20 oil. I drive slower than most people when
eco driving so brake distance is shorter even tho higher pressure. When driving on a completely flat road with no wind it should read about 80MPG@50mph or more on the momentary reader(then you know your car is good enough). Was only getting 70ish before doing this:

Secondly and most important, driving.
The gearbox take some 20km to heat up, so driving distances shorter or around 20km you will not get the really good MPG. But any way get into 5th gear ASAP.
I always keep the speed at or below 80km/h(50mph), this is one of the biggest MPG gain you can do. If the speed limit is higher and there is no way for people behind me to overtake I go up to the speed limit.
I've found that the last 1/2 travel of the accelerator burns alot of fuel but gives very little power in return (MPG goes down alot....maybe this is because of the EGR system? will test in a weeks time when it's changed), so I let the speed decrease a bit going up hill to avoid this.
I've also found that it's better to accelerat slightly past the speed your going to then let it settle down (as oppsoed to up) to the speed your looking for.....so if I am going for 80km/h I accelerate to 82 and back off just a bit from the accelerator so that it slowly settles at 80. I also push my foot against the side wall, makes it easier to do micro adjustments and keep it steady.
Don't let the car idle, ever. I turn it off at every red light if I come to a complete stop(no matter how long I think it will be) and turn off the ignition directly when I park.
And as usual, keep momentum up and minimize energy wasted when braking.

Reading the above you see that it takes alot of patience....so top tip is to have some good music, plenty of time(no stress), something to drink in the car and eat before driving...makes it easier to stay focused and motivated.

My MPG has been very poor of late, dragging down my average on Fuelly. I thought the reason for this was the loose panel under the car, causing drag. My wife said long before this that the car seemed sluggish, and like something was holding it back. When I drove it, it was fine. However, I have started to detect a 'dragging' or lack of acceleration, along with the down change shift light coming on even on slight inclines, and where it came on before, on steeper inclines and hills, it lights up sooner.

Having recently cleaned the car I realised that again, the left front wheel is covered in brake dust. The right wheel is a little, but nowhere near the same. So, I have been experimenting, driving the car like normal and checking the wheel temperature -without touching it- and have noticed an anomaly. Sometimes the wheel is hotter than the right front, the rears being much cooler usually. Neither my wife or myself are heavy breakers. We usually coast up to roundabouts and junctions and barring the odd encounter with an idiot, don't brake hard at all.

So, when the car goes in for its service on the 30th, I will be asking for an explanation as to why our car, serviced only by Mr. T, is doing this. The front brake pads were changed recently along with the disks -when I say recently, my memory does not serve me well. If this is the cause of the low MPG, I expect Mr. T to change them for free, even if I have to pay for the pads.

Will update this later, after the service is done.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:19 PM, bob809 said:

My MPG has been very poor of late, dragging down my average on Fuelly. I thought the reason for this was the loose panel under the car, causing drag. My wife said long before this that the car seemed sluggish, and like something was holding it back. When I drove it, it was fine. However, I have started to detect a 'dragging' or lack of acceleration, along with the down change shift light coming on even on slight inclines, and where it came on before, on steeper inclines and hills, it lights up sooner.

Having recently cleaned the car I realised that again, the left front wheel is covered in brake dust. The right wheel is a little, but nowhere near the same. So, I have been experimenting, driving the car like normal and checking the wheel temperature -without touching it- and have noticed an anomaly. Sometimes the wheel is hotter than the right front, the rears being much cooler usually. Neither my wife or myself are heavy breakers. We usually coast up to roundabouts and junctions and barring the odd encounter with an idiot, don't brake hard at all.

So, when the car goes in for its service on the 30th, I will be asking for an explanation as to why our car, serviced only by Mr. T, is doing this. The front brake pads were changed recently along with the disks -when I say recently, my memory does not serve me well. If this is the cause of the low MPG, I expect Mr. T to change them for free, even if I have to pay for the pads.

Will update this later, after the service is done.

had similar problems with mine until i had the EGR recall done runs and pulls up hills 100% better know  worth a check to see if your IQ is eligible for free recall

Hi Richard, My car had the EGR valve changed some years ago. I check my car's Reg every so often on the Toyota web site for recalls and so on. So far, that is the only recall 'fix' it has needed. My local dealer has been very good dealing with any issues I may have with the car. For example, fixing the panel under the drivers seat was done for free, and at short notice -I only mentioned it the day before on the phone, they asked me to bring it in so they could take a look, warned me parts may be required, yet replaced two bolts that were missing and did the -at least 20 minutes- work for free too.

I expect this issue with the front nearside brake will be sorted to my satisfaction... keep smiling :biggrin:, and all being well, it won't be painful.

Well, discovered what the problem was, a seized piston on the break calliper. Not sure exactly how that happened, but could easily have been having to negotiate -and sometimes fall into when approaching traffic- the potholes on our not so great British roads. Some of them around here -as likely elsewhere- should have one of those glass viewing platforms erected so people can look down into them! The left pads have seen a lot of heat according to the mechanic, yet they are still okay -aside from some slight noise (was warned about) when coming to a stop. Oddly this only happened on our driveway when I got back and not all the other times I stopped on the way back.

Fuel economy has risen already, albeit only 0.7 mpg. Another update unrelated to MPG, I have seen more iQ's around the area of late, Black, White and Silver (more than once) and one Red one. Anyone from around the Shrewsbury area or visiting reading these posts but not part of them? Just wondered.

Edited by Guest
Update

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last update, there has been some work done on our car, as mentioned above (posted 24 Sept). These are the most recent stats for MPG on our sometimes 'ill' motor.

Fuel-up Added (Today, 13-10-2016) - 58.7 UK MPG - Details: MPG: 48.9 / UK MPG: 58.7, mi/L: 12.9, Miles: 169.8, Litres: 13.15, Price: £1.09/Litre, Total: £14.32 (From Sainsburys, Shrewsbury). Previous poorer Fuelly entries. We have now passed the 70,000 mile mark and I would like to say it runs like new, but that be such a big porky pie. Despite it's latest woes, the car is still a little Amethyst gem.

bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 50.3 UK MPG 1 week ago
bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 55.0 UK MPG 3 weeks ago
bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 49.7 UK MPG 3 weeks ago
bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 57.0 UK MPG 4 weeks ago
bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 49.0 UK MPG 5 weeks ago
bob809 fueled-up their 2009 Toyota iQ. Last Tank: 55.9 UK MPG 6 weeks ago

So now it is heading back where it ought to be with our routes and driving styles. Although, for the next three months at least it will only be myself that drives as my wife cannot. This is due to an operation on her upper spine she had last month- two disks removed and a titanium cage inserted between disks. Op went well and recovery is a learning process, certain things she cannot do at the moment and she isn't happy about that. Still, I get to do it all instead... joy!

:wink:

Best wishes to the missus for a good recovery (and glad to hear mpg is going the right way)

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links