Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'new' Auris Hybrid... First Impressions & Queries

CurranShelter

Well, I picked up my 'new' (15 plate but largely unused) Auris Hybrid TS the other day and am suitably impressed. Admittedly there are one or two things that don't feel quite as 'solid' as my old Corolla, and it seems very low-slung so better watch out for rutted roads etc, but no doubt these things are all about weight saving and aerodynamics to maximise economy.

Definitely enjoying the hybrid system, which works like a dream for the most part. The main thing I need to get used to is having a bit of a pause before it really gets moving from standstill - it's almost like turbo lag, though not quite as irritating as once it gets going the power pickup is quick and smooth. It just feels a lot slower getting moving compared to my old manual Corolla 1.6, almost like the transmission has to shift out of neutral and into drive, except I've left it in drive all along. Presumably it's not always down to the engine having to restart, as the electric motor can get it moving to begin with (charge permitting), so not sure what the delay is all about.

Also, there was one occasion today when it was in EV mode, doing just under 40 I think and on the flat, when I pressed on the accelerator a bit and it didn't seem to respond much... had to give it more of a poke to get a reaction. I'm trying to take it gently though as it's a pre-reg with (now) only a little over 100 miles on the clock.

Not having a grumble though; I can see how such foibles might frustrate some people who expect it to perform like a normal car, but to me it's an acceptable trade-off when you get such a refined and efficient drive in return. Happily watching the average mpg counter tick upwards as it gathers data. :)

Can anyone help with a few questions though?

1. Does anyone put their HSD into neutral, and if so, when? The handbook doesn't seem to suggest using it for traffic lights etc, so not sure when it might be relevant in normal driving.

2. Does the steering lock (when parked), or is that a thing of the past? With the Corolla you had to turn the wheel a good way round before it would lock. If the Auris has such a position, I haven't found it yet. Maybe it wouldn't work with the remote key business, or maybe it's just not deemed necessary anymore?

3. A couple of times now I've been driving along with radio and sat nav on, and have heard a pair of quick, soft beeps, on one occasion repeated several times at I'm not sure what intervals. Nothing on either display to suggest what they related to, and I'm pretty sure I was within the speed limit on both occasions (but I do have the speed warning turned on). Any ideas?

Thanks...

3. the beeps are a warning for a fixed speed camera coming up, on the satnav it should show a camera icon as well.

regards

Well, I picked up my 'new' (15 plate but largely unused) Auris Hybrid TS the other day and am suitably impressed. Admittedly there are one or two things that don't feel quite as 'solid' as my old Corolla, and it seems very low-slung so better watch out for rutted roads etc, but no doubt these things are all about weight saving and aerodynamics to maximise economy.

Definitely enjoying the hybrid system, which works like a dream for the most part. The main thing I need to get used to is having a bit of a pause before it really gets moving from standstill - it's almost like turbo lag, though not quite as irritating as once it gets going the power pickup is quick and smooth. It just feels a lot slower getting moving compared to my old manual Corolla 1.6, almost like the transmission has to shift out of neutral and into drive, except I've left it in drive all along. Presumably it's not always down to the engine having to restart, as the electric motor can get it moving to begin with (charge permitting), so not sure what the delay is all about.

Also, there was one occasion today when it was in EV mode, doing just under 40 I think and on the flat, when I pressed on the accelerator a bit and it didn't seem to respond much... had to give it more of a poke to get a reaction. I'm trying to take it gently though as it's a pre-reg with (now) only a little over 100 miles on the clock.

Not having a grumble though; I can see how such foibles might frustrate some people who expect it to perform like a normal car, but to me it's an acceptable trade-off when you get such a refined and efficient drive in return. Happily watching the average mpg counter tick upwards as it gathers data. :)

Can anyone help with a few questions though?

1. Does anyone put their HSD into neutral, and if so, when? The handbook doesn't seem to suggest using it for traffic lights etc, so not sure when it might be relevant in normal driving.

2. Does the steering lock (when parked), or is that a thing of the past? With the Corolla you had to turn the wheel a good way round before it would lock. If the Auris has such a position, I haven't found it yet. Maybe it wouldn't work with the remote key business, or maybe it's just not deemed necessary anymore?

3. A couple of times now I've been driving along with radio and sat nav on, and have heard a pair of quick, soft beeps, on one occasion repeated several times at I'm not sure what intervals. Nothing on either display to suggest what they related to, and I'm pretty sure I was within the speed limit on both occasions (but I do have the speed warning turned on). Any ideas?

Thanks...

Strange you feel the car is slow on take-off as one of the best bits about a hybrid is surprising other drivers as you jump away from a standstill, what mode do you have the car in ? As the "Eco" does dampen the throttle somewhat and this maybe why the car feels as though you need to give it more "poke".

1. No need to shift to neutral other courtesy to the people sat behind you with the brake lights glaring.

2. Yes there is a steering lock which operates via an automatic electronic actuator on the shaft.

3. The quick beeps are the safety camera warning from the sat nav

3. the beeps are a warning for a fixed speed camera coming up, on the satnav it should show a camera icon as well.

regards

Ah I missed that on the screen (but then I was trying to keep my focus on the road :)).

Strange you feel the car is slow on take-off as one of the best bits about a hybrid is surprising other drivers as you jump away from a standstill, what mode do you have the car in ? As the "Eco" does dampen the throttle somewhat and this maybe why the car feels as though you need to give it more "poke".

1. No need to shift to neutral other courtesy to the people sat behind you with the brake lights glaring.

2. Yes there is a steering lock which operates via an automatic electronic actuator on the shaft.

Thanks for this. I forgot to say, this was with the car in 'no mode'. I've tried adapting my style a bit today and I wonder if I was just being a bit too light on the throttle. I really had been taking it easy, not just because the car's not run in yet but also because that Charge/Eco/Power dial is very influential - together with the green EV symbol - so I've been trying (maybe too hard) to keep the needle in the green zone, and trying not to push it out of EV when pulling away at junctions. If I give it a bit more welly then it does get going quite briskly (and with a satisfying but well-muffled engine note too).

As for Eco mode, I tried it today cruising along at 40 on an almost-flat road, it felt like I had to push the pedal quite a way before anything happened. But some of this may also just be me getting used to a different setup compared to my old 1.6 VVT-i which had a very responsive throttle. Trouble is, when I see the EV symbol show up I'm inclined to try and keep it there, so I probably accelerate quite gently. But I thought (from what I'd read about this car and electric powertrains in general) that it would feel more responsive in EV mode and instead it feels quite sluggish - until I give it more pressure, and then it snaps out of EV mode anyway. Kind of confusing. Go on... tell me I'm too obsessed with the green and should just relax and let the car take care of it... B)

On the other points...

1. That's a good point which I suppose I hadn't considered properly (previous car was a manual). It can be very distracting when people sit there at night with brake lights glaring through the windscreen. Also gives the brakes a chance to cool (and not warp) if I go for neutral + handbrake... just takes a tiny bit longer to get going when the queue moves.

2. What position should the steering lock take effect? I thought most cars would lock the steering with just a very small turn, but the Corolla was something like a 3/4 turn before it locked. Tried that with this one, but it didn't lock. Or maybe there's a slight delay after powering off before it will lock?

3. As per above post, thanks - I must've missed that when I glanced at the screen. I should really take a few mins to familiarise with the nav system, not got round to doing that yet.

Hi. When at the lights, I put the handbrake on but I don't use neutral, never have done, no need to as the handbrake will hold the car. You may have to pull it further if on a downward slope. I try and keep the car in the green band too, it's impossible all the time so don't worry, I also use eco mode all the time, you get used to it after a while and forget about it. The car will still take off if you floor it, try it.

2. What position should the steering lock take effect? I thought most cars would lock the steering with just a very small turn, but the Corolla was something like a 3/4 turn before it locked. Tried that with this one, but it didn't lock. Or maybe there's a slight delay after powering off before it will lock?

On my Avensis with push button start you have to open the door after switching the engine off before the steering lock will come on - & it will come on in any position of the wheel with very little movement.

If you`re stood in traffic for a length of time, especially if you have the lights on, use the parking push button and the hand brake if you like. In neutral the ice wont charge the traction Battery, but in park, it will.

Hi. When at the lights, I put the handbrake on but I don't use neutral, never have done, no need to as the handbrake will hold the car. You may have to pull it further if on a downward slope. I try and keep the car in the green band too, it's impossible all the time so don't worry, I also use eco mode all the time, you get used to it after a while and forget about it. The car will still take off if you floor it, try it.

Thanks. I also read the tip in the handbook about accelerating up to speed, then coming off the pedal and then gently back on to maintain speed, which often puts it in EV mode. Tried that today and it worked nicely, although it can also be really quite satisfying just driving it normally and not getting too hung up on what mode it's in, as it still seems very refined and unstressed.

Makes me all the more surprised at all the reviews that bang on about the CVT making it noisy. So far it seems anything but - sometimes there's a nice muted thrum from the engine compartment but I could never say it gets noisy, and the only time I've experienced that was on a test drive car when I decided to put pedal to the metal to see what it could do. Yes, it growled like an angry beast although still sounded a bit muffled (they've worked hard on that, I'm guessing), and it's a nice sounding engine IMHO. Problem seems to be that the review journalists have no idea how to drive it.

If you`re stood in traffic for a length of time, especially if you have the lights on, use the parking push button and the hand brake if you like. In neutral the ice wont charge the traction battery, but in park, it will.

On my Avensis with push button start you have to open the door after switching the engine off before the steering lock will come on - & it will come on in any position of the wheel with very little movement.

Aaaah (penny drops), I reckon that's where I've been going wrong. Makes sense now you say it. Thanks, I will give that a go.

If you`re stood in traffic for a length of time, especially if you have the lights on, use the parking push button and the hand brake if you like. In neutral the ice wont charge the traction battery, but in park, it will.

Thank you, that's an important point. I've started doing that if I know I'm at 'slow' traffic lights or likely to be waiting a while. I get the impression that neutral is there more out of obligation than any real expectation that it'll be used (hoping towing will never be required ;)

Glad you"re liking the hybrid. Very relaxing isn't it. I never seem to get flustered in it unlike manual cars which drive me potty, all that gear changing and stuff, its so yesterday.I seem to be able to drive it all day and not get tired or uncomfortable. Very cool car.

On 25/01/2016 at 5:07 PM, offashead said:

Me too.  There's no need to blind to poor sucker behind you. Just use the handbrake.  Good practice as you never know it might save you hassle one day.

Your Auris may be bit 'young' right now.  What model do you have?  Icon, Excel?

My first Auris Hybrid was an Icon.  Even before it was run in (where you are now) I managed on one trip to get 76+ miles per gallon.  Just under two years on, Toyota persuaded me to trade in for the Excel.  I swear I don't drive any differently but I get about 100 mile per tank less than the Icon.  However I had 12500 miles on the clock when I traded in the Icon. I'm only at 1900 in my Excel right now. But I do wonder if the Excel is somehow less fuel efficient than the Icon?

17 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Me too.  There's no need to blind to poor sucker behind you. Just use the handbrake.  Good practice as you never know it might save you hassle one day.

Your Auris may be bit 'young' right now.  What model do you have?  Icon, Excel?

My first Auris Hybrid was an Icon.  Even before it was run in (where you are now) I managed on one trip to get 76+ miles per gallon.  Just under two years on, Toyota persuaded me to trade in for the Excel.  I swear I don't drive any differently but I get about 100 mile per tank less than the Icon.  However I had 12500 miles on the clock when I traded in the Icon. I'm only at 1900 in my Excel right now. But I do wonder if the Excel is somehow less fuel efficient than the Icon?

I have the Icon+, and the trip computer is reporting usually around 50-60 mpg after each journey at the moment (true mix of urban, motorway, A & B roads).

Yes, the Excel is officially less fuel-efficient than the Icon (the brochure says so), I suspect in large part due to the larger wheels (17") on the Excel... don't get me started - I've already had a rant about that on another post. That's why I avoided getting an Excel, despite there seeming to be more used Excel hybrids out there than any other trim level. Shame, as I liked the sound of some of the extras like voice activation, fully-automated retractable mirrors and whatever else. But the Icon+ is a very good compromise (on 16" wheels).

& yet Toyota UK say on their blog that the current hybrid Auris is not available on 16" wheels due to the steering rack ...

• Like 1

On 19/01/2016 at 10:03 PM, Devon Aygo said:

On 25/01/2016 at 7:27 PM, Heidfirst said:

Well, I tried that - switched off, opened the door, spun the wheel right round and still couldn't find any position where it locked. Puzzled.

Also, I've noticed on the car infographic screen that the HV Battery has never actually shown as being full so far - the highest I've seen it charged is two bars off maximum. I suppose that's good in a way as it suggests EV/hybrid mode is operating as much as possible, but is everyone else's experience the same?

4 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

& yet Toyota UK say on their blog that the current hybrid Auris is not available on 16" wheels due to the steering rack ...

Mine's pre-facelift (no Icon+ spec on the current, facelifted Auris). But the "New Auris" brocure I've got here (Aug 2015) lists 15" (Active), 16" (Icon, Business) and 17" (Design, Excel) options for the hybrid (with a corresponding decrease in MPG).

9 hours ago, CurranShelter said:

I have the Icon+, and the trip computer is reporting usually around 50-60 mpg after each journey at the moment (true mix of urban, motorway, A & B roads).

Yes, the Excel is officially less fuel-efficient than the Icon (the brochure says so), I suspect in large part due to the larger wheels (17") on the Excel... don't get me started - I've already had a rant about that on another post. That's why I avoided getting an Excel, despite there seeming to be more used Excel hybrids out there than any other trim level. Shame, as I liked the sound of some of the extras like voice activation, fully-automated retractable mirrors and whatever else. But the Icon+ is a very good compromise (on 16" wheels).

10 hours ago, CurranShelter said:

Mine's pre-facelift (no Icon+ spec on the current, facelifted Auris). But the "New Auris" brocure I've got here (Aug 2015) lists 15" (Active), 16" (Icon, Business) and 17" (Design, Excel) options for the hybrid (with a corresponding decrease in MPG).

It seemed odd to me at the time but it has been queried on the blog (I should have said that it specifically mentions Excel but I can't see why the steering in an Excel would be different than any other trim level) & a chap told to go see his dealer. I suspect that it's due to homologation again (i.e. Toyota haven't homologated the Excel on 16" wheels) http://blog.toyota.co.uk/whats-changed-2015-toyota-auris#comment-1544017

Mine is the post facelift Excel and was provided with 16's.  As you say, the brochure indicated that it could be done and i had no issues with the dealer.

There seems to be plenty of confusion over the hybrid Excel wheel options. There's another post here, which suggests 17" is standard but 16" is an option: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/2015-toyota-auris-price-and-specs#comment-1542737

I was buying used so had to go with the spec as it came, but in any case I was concerned that a non-standard size would mean declaring it to insurers as a modification, and I could do without additional complication and expense when it comes to insuring.

• Like 1

The standard factory fitment on the Excel is 17 inch wheels. It appears that 16 inch wheels were an option on the Excel. but if these weren't a popular option for the Excel (and at an additional cost of around £700-800, they may not have been), Toyota may have since dropped that option for this grade. As is always quoted on the back of brochures, on websites, etc, manufacturers reserve the right to change specifications, etc without notice.

An option, whether factory fitted or dealer fitting, is a change to standard spec, so would need to be declared to one's insurers.

Ano extra cost, no unsurance issue, purchase new at the end of Sept. You can get them, especially I'd you make it a show stopper on purchase 

It will depend on one's insurance company whether a change to the standard spec (which this is) is a modification or not, and whether or not it is both acceptable to the insurer and chargeable - to generalise is misleading.

For example a post from the following topic is quoted below - 

"As my topic has been lost in clouds, I would like to point out to members again, that Toyota Insurance do not accept a change of wheel size from original specification. I have a 2012 Auris HSD T-Spirit with 17" wheels, and enquired about fitting 15" wheels and appropriate tyres for the winter. Toyota insurance will not provide cover for this change. I have concluded that if I want 15" wheels I will have to seek out an insurer that will provide cover for alternative wheels, or change my car for an Auris HSD T4 supplied new with 15" wheels. I think the 1st option will prove the most cost effective. A disappointment, but from the number of cars fitted with different wheels, I am sure that some insurers will accommodate this change (with an amendment charge of course)." 

A recent example was when we changed our 3 year old second car for a new Hyundai i20 in July 2015. As a sales incentive, Hyundai equipped the initial dealer allocations of our model grade with the following factory fitted options: projector headlights with cornering function, LED daytime running lights in place of bulb type drl's, and a Smartphone charger/holder that fitted onto the dash (which required a completely different top dash panel running the width of the dash, to the standard car). Normally these 3 items comprise an options pack. Our car had these at no cost to us, is not part of the standard spec, and our insurer (LV) confirmed with Hyundai that these were cars with a modified standard spec, which resulted in no increased premium. However, if we had ordered the car at a later date, and ordered the above as the options pack, it would have been a chargeable modification.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links