Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tell Me About The 2015- Yaris Cvt

PumpkinSteve

I'm hoping to buy a Yaris 1.33 in the next few months after a few years of being away from Toyota. The latest Yaris facelift and the fact they've addressed criticisms of the 2012 model have won me back.

I'm also looking to buy my first automatic but have no experience of the CVT gearbox. I like the idea of having the paddles to use in M-mode as an option. Are there any owners here who have the 1.33 engine with the CVT gearbox? I really want to know if the gearbox is smooth with unnoticeable gearchanges, or if it can be jerky.

I believe the cvt gearbox is similar to the one in my Avensis and it's a great drive. It can be a bit revvy on hills, but other than that it's really smooth.

Now done 7000 miles in my 2015 CVT Yaris.

Gear changes not jerky, in fact its so smooth that all you notice is the change in engine noise. After having a MMT its a revelation.

If you really floor it it can let the revs rise before the car catches up,but you soon learn to modify your driving style to prevent that.

M mode is great fun and again very smooth.

Very smooth but takes some getting used to if you're used to a manual as the engine behaves like the clutch is slipping in a manual car if you give it the beans :lol:

If you really floor it it can let the revs rise before the car catches up

Thats what its designed to do, revs reach peak torque for max power and the gearbox adjusts accordingly. Fantastic engineering really.

OP regarding paddles, I really wouldn't bother, it defeats the purpose of a CVT gearbox, and using them will certainly impact fuel economy as a result.

I have a cvt yaris for 5 months now. love it. great fuel economy, slightly better than my previous manual model. the only thing I have noticed is the engine is slightly slower at worming up. this, I think, is because the coolant is piped through the cvt gearbox, which means a larger coolant capacity. does anyone know if this is to keep the box cool, is the operation temp. of these boxes critical.

Well i have had my 2012 SR CVT (40K Miles) for almost 4 years now and is used on a daily basis , the gearbox when left on D mode is very smooth and you wont notice the gear changes.

I prefer using the M -/+ on the gear lever rather than the paddles on the steering wheel to be honest when i want to drive a bit harder.

Also it will still shift automatically in M modie when you hit about 6K to 6.2K RPM and feel a slight joint when the valves are lifting and closing.

Also you can temporary go Manual by pressing the paddles , however it will go back to D after a certain time , or if you hold down the + paddle for about 3 secs and it will go straight to D mode again.

Thaks for the input, and sorry for the late reply. It's sounding very promising so far :)

D mode is very smooth and you wont notice the gear changes.

That's because there are no gear changes in a CVT box :)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had an extended test drive today and didn't love the car to be honest. I was very surprised that the ride was quite bumpy, although I'd heard that they had improved this with the facelift, for me it was still quite harsh. The key fob was MASSIVE and when sticking out of the ignition it kept hitting my knee - I had my seat at its lowest and the steering wheel as high as it would go. Also the steering wheel is at a funny angle compared with other modern cars, it's tilted back quite a lot. I couldn't reach the top of the steering wheel, and I couldn't get my seat any further forward because of the key sticking out!

I'm disappointed that I didn't love the car, considering I'm a massive fan of the Yarry :sad:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links