Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Valve Idle Revs Issue

gazhat

Hi there, newbie here 1st post.

My 2003 diesel 1.4 DTD has been having idle revs issues for the last year and now it's starting to really annoy me, apart from that the car runs fine, I've had several people give me advise but my mechanic seems to think it's the EGR valve, as when he disconnected it it stopped doing the above issue and when he puts his finger on the removed pipe it does the idle revs issue.

He's suggesting a new part but before I got spending the fat end of £200 on a new part plus gasket is there no way that is can be removed and cleaned ? I've found a thread on here but it appears to have not been updated in years.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Gaz H

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gaz,

I have a 2002 1.4 D4D.

It is not at all hard to remove the EGR valve & clean it. I do it myself every year or two. It is mounted on the front of the engine, so is easily accessible. You need to  partially take off the intercooler,  4 bolts, undo the front hose clamp and pull off of top of valve. (you can leave the awkward, back hose attached.There are 6 bolts to remove to take off EGR valve. (1 holds dipstick bracket, another cable clamp bracket). Take off valve, dig out the worst of the "gunge", then clean with solvent cleaner (like brake parts cleaner). I've probably done it about 8 times & the gasket is still good. It only costs time & some cleaning fluid.

I have just past the 240,000 miles last week, so it does pay off.

I hope that helps, (I think the bolt quantities are right)

Mark

So I've managed to get the EGR valve off, cleaned up and still no change. I've taken this video of the issue, any help welcomed because it's really getting on my !Removed! now and I don't have the money to solve it at the mo - 

Hi Gaz

Sorry, I don't know about the 'rusty' one. I've only taken off the one on the left, by the dipstick. I've found the small diameter bore, at the bottom of it, can be virtually blocked and takes quite a bit of digging & solvent to clean out. The first time I cleaned it, definitely sorted out the 'lumpy' idle.

Watching your video certainly doesn't look right. Sorry I can't offer any more help.

Best of luck

Mark

Mark, I think it's one or both the EGR Vacuum solenoid valve sensors, I priced up new ones today - £277 EACH !! And I think there's VAT on top of that. There's some on eBay but they could be knackered too. Plus I've got a knackered heater plug which needs drilling out ( £500 plus ) so I'll just have to grin and bare it :(

That's a lot to spend and not be certain. I had a nearly £1000 bill about 120,000 miles ago, for head gasket replacement, a big part of that cost was a heater plug drilling/machining. Even with head gasket gone, it still ran, just hot & cold. The only failures I've had, have been, on 2 occasions, injector clamps broken. Noisy & smelly, but fixed for £10 and half hour of my time.

Good luck with it and turn the radio up!

53 minutes ago, gazhat said:

I've got a knackered heater plug which needs drilling out ( £500 plus ) so I'll just have to grin and bare it :(

Don't bother. Three heaters on a four cylinder engine in the British climate are more than enough to start it. The extra fuel wasted won't compare to the cost of getting the heater out. I bet all four cylinders will be up and running fine within a couple of hundred yards of starting.

Yeah Bob, I spoke to a mate of a mate who works at the local Toyota garage and he said the same thing. Only trouble is, my engine management light is on and I find it really frustrating driving 40 odd mile to work and back with it staring back at me, and I hate the fact that car has a few issues but I can't afford to sort them otherwise I'd have them done ASAP. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that nothing serious goes wrong because I'm knackered without my Yaris.

Cheers for the reply ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you clean the Throttle housing ( the one on the left) as well the the EGR valve ( the rusty one on the right) in the end?

No mate haven't done that, I think I'll need my mechanic to do that as I'm utter hopeless with stuff like that and I have no tools. Will take a look though ;)

There is a very detailed post on how to do it ( if you do a quick search) on here. Not that difficult apparently. With pictures too.

Cheers man will have a look when I get a minute. Thanks for your comment ;)

Yeah, in the image on the pug addicts side it's the brassy flying-saucer thing on the left, just past the green thingy on the thin rubber pipe.

That is a throttle body that takes in air from the EGR and the turbo, and is what gets blocked up with soot.

It's quite easy to DIY, but your mechanic should be able to take it out and clean it with carb cleaner no problem.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE: I THINK I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

I was sent this link and I followed the instructions on this thread - 

I'll know better once I've started her in the morning but the part I cleaned was absolutely chockerblock full of cr@p, gave it a good scrap, plenty of cleaner and a few blasts with a compressor. Now if I could find a cheap solution for my broken heater plug to be removed I'd be a happy bunny! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links